Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

entry 4 Jul 2011, 20:41
This could be called 'how not to do it' but after a fraught few nights she's as good as she'll get.

Firstly take a standard Spirit 635, pull it to bits and remove the paint and tampo:

Wash and dry thoroughly...

After 24 hours prime it - leave to cure for 24 hours:

Once the primer's smoothed down it's easy to start feeling (over) confident. Now add the topcoat:

That was after two coats. White and black are complete sods to get right - this one took four coats and a lot of fervent prayer for the orange peel to go away.

Next up: paint the chrome trims back on again. On this car it's a horrible job. Usually I would use a cocktail stick loaded with paint. I tried this - works well on pronounced trim like on the old Mini-Cooper, but sucked badly on this one:

After failing to correct it I had to scrub all the paint and primer off and start from scratch. In future, if ever I try and repaint another one, I'll mask off the original window frame detailing, paint the rest and join in any gaps on the pillars with a slender brush and lots of patience.

And so the decals go on, leave another 24 hours (adding softener halfway if needed), then clear coat the thing. Rebuild it and presto, she's done:

« Next Oldest · Becoming a 1/32 Nick Mason · Next Newest »

Comments

post 5 Jul 2011, 08:06
Comment #1

Sir Slotalot
Group Icon

Group: PLUS+
Member No.: 2,066

Looks very good, I do like the JPS livery.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
post 5 Jul 2011, 08:52
Comment #2

Slot Guru
Group Icon

Group: PLUS+
Member No.: 1,355

JPS is such a classic isn't it? Hopefully Spirit will bring out a few 'works' liveries for the likes of Hans Stuck and Gerhard Berger, but I'm glad to have one of these on the grid.

--------------------
Like Pre '61 Racing Cars?
Come and rootle round the Scarf & Goggles Social Club
Go to the top of the page

« Next Oldest · Becoming a 1/32 Nick Mason · Next Newest »

SMTWTFS