Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Welcome/Introductions Forum Rules

If you like: Say "Hi" if you're joining up or welcome new users if you're already a member.
Please Note: This is NOT a general conversation area. Topics not related to the subject will be deleted.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help for a newbie?
craker
post 7 Mar 2012, 21:08
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,409

Hi,

I was last here before Christmas trying to sort out a Scalextrics set I got from a charity shop for my son. Thanks all! Son & I enjoy a slightly one sided race around a simple oval track, we've got two cars - one that goes like a rocket and another one that goes like a rocket until you put it into a corner. Then you have to go like a moped. Anyway, good fun.

So, I'm reliving my childhood only with enough cash to buy all sorts of stuff off ebay. Here's the questions ...

Why is Scelextric sport different from classic (apart from track connectors)?
Digital is just way beyond what I'm after, right?
There's lots of manufacturers and scales out there
- At 1/32nd, what's cheap, what's expensive and what's worth paying for?
- What are other systems like?

eg I need a pair of cars to run on the ropey track I've got, they'll get a battering. Recommendations?

Go to the top of the page

+
John Parr
post 7 Mar 2012, 21:18
Post #2

Team Owner

Member No.: 9,215

SCX Nascars are cheap and good fun..

+
ss67
post 7 Mar 2012, 21:24
Post #3

Trackhead
Group Icon

Group: PLUS+
Member No.: 14,903

Hi & welcome,

Why is Scelextric sport different from classic (apart from track connectors)? - It is generally smoother and fits with all the digital parts and accessories. It willa lso fit with classic with convertor pieces.
Digital is just way beyond what I'm after, right? - Not necessarily. You can pick up secondhand pieces and you can build up gradually adding digital pieces to your track once you have swapped the powerbase for a digital one. 4 car powerbases are virtually worthless. You can have one of mine free if you like but 6 car powerbases are much better the best being the new one (about £125) or you can get an old C7030 secondhand with power supply for about £30 (I have 3 available)
There's lots of manufacturers and scales out there - True
- At 1/32nd, what's cheap, what's expensive and what's worth paying for? You'll get many different views on this
- What are other systems like? - I'll let others comment on this.

eg I need a pair of cars to run on the ropey track I've got, they'll get a battering. Recommendations? Any resistant cars from Scalextric. Once again I have some DPR (digital plug ready) resistant minis & Nissan GTRs available if they take your fancy.

Check the Slotforum Swapshop or ebay for secondhand stuff.

I hope this helps a bit. Feel free to keep asking questions.

As this is an international forum if you add your location to your profile it may help with more specific advice.

--------------------
Regards.

Simon

+
AASLOTRACER
post 8 Mar 2012, 12:03
Post #4

Tea Boy

Member No.: 19,992

Hi & Welcome to the forum.
14 months ago I also reentered the hobby after a very long time. I used to play with my son 30 years ago with a toy that time. Now things are different.
In my opinion, before starting with purchases and stuff, you must make up your mind on how far you want to go with it. Play with your son or jump to a life time hobby. Can you have a permanent layout or you need to set up each time. I have done the mistake to start in rush and now I have a lot of useless pieces of track, power supplies etc. Definitely digital is the system that offers a lot of enjoyment if you go for hobby.
Since you are familiar with the internet try searching in You Tube and forums for slotcars and you will receive a lot of information.
There is no comparison for cheap or expensive if something is good for you. You cannot compare a full scale car with super details, interior and working lights with a simple high resistance one. Also the systems offered by suppliers vary on price depending on your requirements. For instance in CARRERA, when starting you may find a lot of accessories to supplement your track not offered in other brands. With different cost of course from other brands and also check what happens if you want to race more than 3 cars.
My final selections after the mistakes I made and after a lot searching, are :
SCALEXTRIC digital with C7042 power base, two power supply units, Pit lane game (trying to upgrade now to Pit pro), moving now to SSDC, six hand controllers and a lot of cars. All these are on a permanent layout.
I hope that I help on your choices.

+
Julian_Boolean
post 8 Mar 2012, 13:23
Post #5

Slot Guru

Member No.: 10,466

SCX cars work very well on Classic track, brand new ones can be had for £10 at Pendle Slot Racing, get two and race till you get sick of it.

If there's only two people racing why bother with the expense of digital?

--------------------
Playing with toy cars

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 16:07
© SlotForum Copyright Notice - Please Read / © Aviso de copyright SlotForum - Léanlo, por favor / © A proposito del Copyright del contenuto di Slotforum - Per favore leggere attentamente