SlotForum banner

AVANT SLOT PESCAROLO - Review

14K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  stoner 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Review by Taxi

Click here for the review.

See less See more
#2 ·
Excellent review. I just purchased one of these fine cars. I have to say that the only thing that would have made this car the best ever was the lack of turned aluminum wheels. From its track behavior right out of the box the wheels were fairly true. Out of the box it ran smoothly, doing my 5 foot acceleration sector in 0.52 seconds which is as good as any car I have ever tested (my Slot.it Nissan R930 ran the same time). It is also the first car that equaled that acceleration time with the magnet removed, and stock tires. This indicates two things to me, first that the magnet doesn't produce that much downforce to begin with (as noted in the review), and second- I think it left the line with very little wheel hop(wheels and tires very good to begin with) . I was surprised that the first half dozen cars I have tested have run the 5 foot section considerably faster with magnet, than without. Only with a tire change and truing of the tires do those other cars begin to catch up with the magnet still in place cars. That makes me wonder how much wheel spin occurs on a full throttle start (too bad slot car tires don't squeal ).
With the magnet removed and tires replaced (K&D tires) the car has come within 0.2 seconds of the lap record, having only run about 50 laps. This car is very easy to drive quickly. You have to really screw up to put it on its topside, it drifts thru turns very well when pushed to the limit. The flat finish of my black test car is flawless, as mentioned the driver looks toylike. I think a quick paint job, at least on the helmet will greatly improve this cars appearance of this car. This was a very good review of this fine car, it will certainly not be the last Avant slot car that I buy.

#4 ·
Quick answer?

Yes it will run fine on Carrera and no it wont need modifications (apart from spreading the braids out for the rail width but you know this
)

IF the magnet is really low powered then you MIGHT get grip problems but a quick change of tyres to more suitable ones for Carrera (Ortmanns/silicon as you are in the USA/ Slot.it P6 should all do the job well)

#7 ·
Great review, just a personal question please if you do not mind, i am running on a scaley classic track and with mags on all cars. I am always on the lookout for good cars to give my present MG Lola some competition, do you think that this car will do that?

thank you for reading.

Athrlyth

#8 ·
Very thorough review and some interesting follow-up comments. It sounds like it should be pretty competitive with a little bit of tweaking.

By the way, in the top photo, at first glance it looks like there's a refugee from the Lego Star Wars computer game in the passenger seat....

#10 ·
QUOTE (Slotcarmann @ 27 Oct 2008, 22:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very thorough review and some interesting follow-up comments. It sounds like it should be pretty competitive with a little bit of tweaking.

By the way, in the top photo, at first glance it looks like there's a refugee from the Lego Star Wars computer game in the passenger seat....

Ha ha you are right about that, but hey who can't use a litle backup if you run into trouble.

Cheers

#11 ·
I ran the wheels off mine - literally. First run, right front. Thought, what the hell, maybe they messed up and reinstalled it with a dab of superglue. Next run, left rear wheel is off into the weeds...

I think I'm going to have to swap these crappy plastic wheels with some nice aluminum rims from slot it.

TIM

#12 ·
hello guys,
few recurrent problems I get on avant pescarolo and peugeot, your feedback is welcome:
-the gear brake after few races... you do need spacer in the back
-the axes are too big for slot it and nsr metal wheels
-the screws used to tune the pod vertical position make the move of the pod unsmooth
fabien

#13 ·
nothing that a change of bearings and a file wont cure. I,ve never had a gear let go even with a 30,000rpm motor in it. I usually keep the plastic front wheels just true the tyres and put ally,s on the back only. avants are quite underated, I suppose because of the early leaf spring chassis and the amout of file work needed to make them work properly. john

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.