SlotForum banner

Avant Slot News - Lotus Elise GT1 - Road Car

13K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  Savage 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Avant Slot; Lotus Elise GT1
Ref.51601 "Roadcar - Matt Black"

Limited Edition of 1000 with numbered chassis.

Weight:Complete car 81,6gr
Complete Bodyshell 19,8gr
Body without cockpit in lexan: 12,8gr
Distance between axles: 85mm
Distance rear axle to guide: 98mm
Motor Hurricane 27,000RPM at 14.8v
Gears Ratio 10/27
Same chassis as Porsche Kremer, last evolution

An interesting history of the only registered Lotus Elise GT1 on the owners web site Link

UK release date; this week.

See less See more
#5 ·
Certainly too stretched for scale, but nice to see something a little different.
The biggest gripe for me would be the avant chassis, I just dont get on with them !

#6 ·
When you see the photo of the real thing it's obvious where the reproduction is inaccurate. Spoiler supports in terms of design and positioning, the way the body blends in to the rear air dam or whatever it is called, the rear grill and lack of brake lights on the model, the exhaust pipes, the length of the rear deck, lack of aerial. I appreciate there are probably subtle differences down to the owner's choice of spec but surely not the body shape?!? OK Avant had to fit this to a chassis and probably couldn't make a new one just for a run of 1000 but there will probably be more made.

I am a great Lotus fan but the photo of the GT1 looks like an Elise and the model doesn't. Shame. Maybe somebody else will make one soon.

#8 ·
QUOTE (JEXY1 @ 13 Dec 2011, 14:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Giroix / Delétraz Lotus Elise GT1. Lotus Racing Franck Muller. 1997 FIA GT Championship Silverstone by Antsphoto, on Flickr

This racing version seems to better match the proportions of the model. I wonder if the black one is just to kick off a fresh model despite looking a bit odd and lacking certain details since the racing versions that might be expected to come later will look right. Note how the wing looks significantly more like the one on the racing version than the road car's.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE I suggest you read the R18 topic before repeating this The R18 is as close as you are going to get a slot car

Mr. Croker -

I'm referring to the NSR Mosler, Ford MkIV and Porsche 917. Those don't look correct scale and proportion.

Mike

Not exactly obvious as I refered only to the new offering of the R18 where they have gone to considerable trouble to get to scale. But this is about the Elise!

#11 ·
I work at the Hethel Engineering Centre, which is directly in front of the Lotus Cars Factory, the race test track is just behind my office. I like the model, but as mentioned it does look a little on the large side, the Elise is a very small car, very narrow and very squat...I'd like to see this side by side another model.

#12 ·
I do rather like the Lotus way of doing things. And I rather like the Elise. And I rather like the characterisation of that Elise. It's not perfect but it looks pure evil and I like it. Going to have to start hunting small change down the back of the sofa I think.

#13 ·
All of a sudden a plethora of nice cars appear, could it be nearly Christmas?
Seriously though I'd love to get to try this one out, I like the look of it and it's just that bit different, so "if" it ran well too....
Well it would be nice to race something that wasn't mainstream, Nice One.

#16 ·
QUOTE (stoooo @ 13 Dec 2011, 15:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This racing version seems to better match the proportions of the model. I wonder if the black one is just to kick off a fresh model despite looking a bit odd and lacking certain details since the racing versions that might be expected to come later will look right. Note how the wing looks significantly more like the one on the racing version than the road car's.

Oh yes - that IS better but still suffers the inaccurate treatment of the front and rear air dams. So why present the first one as a road car - why not a racing livery as that would be right on the button?

Odd decision.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Guys

A few measurements

Real Car Wheelbase 2680.00 1/32 scale 83.75 Avant Car 85.00 98.53% correct

Real Car Length 4490.00 1/32 scale 140.31 Avant Car 143.50 97.78% correct

Real Car Height 1100.00 1/32 scale 34.38 Avant Car 34.37 100.01% correct

Real Car Width 2070.00 1/32 scale 64.69 Avant Car 64.50 100.29% correct

So not spot on but very close.

Mudchukka

#21 ·
QUOTE (-Sy- @ 13 Dec 2011, 22:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>the Elise is a very small car, very narrow and very squat
I'll second that. But what a hoot to drive. I was fortunate enough to have a friend in the US with a 2nd Gen one who invited me to co-drive with him in it at an AutoX event. Getting into it gracefully required a great deal of skill and personal flexibility (which I lack, being a short fat bloke) and I never did find a dignified way of getting back out of it again. My lack of experience in it (I usually competed in an AWD Impreza) meant I was never in contention for a win, but it was extremely satisfying to beat the Dodge Viper that we shared a class with

Looking at the model again, I notice that the mirrors also more closely align with the race car, and the model also has the position lights on the side of it which are not readily apparent on the road car. I'm inclined to be fairly forgiving about scale inaccuracies if a car looks that good. I hope there will be a plethora of racing liveries released for it so we can all find something we like.

#22 ·
The Elise as we think of it is a very small car but perhaps in GT1 guise was not ???? Over 2 metres wide? They are indeed tiny on the road. GT is a class overloaded with good cars so this will be a tough racer market to enter NSR Mosler/ Corvette.. Slot it Nissan/Mclaren... Scaleauto Mercedes /...Honda HSV (coming) Ninco JGTC Fly racing F40 etc. The collectors and modellers have not really warned to Avant as far as i can tell yet so this i hope should perform very well.

Ninco did the Elise and no matter how you tuned it was never as good as a Mosler or a Murcielago so i look forward to the GT1 variant and see if it goes hard.

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's grossly out of scale, but in addition to the wheelbase seeming a bit long, also look at the photos posted and compare the size of the wheels of the actual car (both road and race versions), and how small the slot car's wheels and tires are. That could also add to the perception of the car being bigger, due to the small wheels. Also look at their Audi and Porsche LMP cars to back up my point.

I still like the car... I love late 1990's FIA GT1 cars. And, it's something different than another Ferrari, Porsche, Audi, etc.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.