SlotForum banner

What's that stuff called for cleaning tracks, please?

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  RichG 
#1 ·
Can someone please tell me what that stuff is called in the white can that slotcarists use to clean the track, its driving me brain nuts trying to think of it?

first person to get the answer wins an imaginary pint of beer and a gold medal!.

See less See more
#6 ·
QUOTE (X-Speed Racing @ 3 Mar 2012, 07:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Inox ???

Congratulations you are correct of course!, I thought that was what it was called but when I searched for it on eBay - nothing came up, I guess no one had any for sale!, but then I was also thinking Inox was to do with steel washers too that I recently purchased!, so I was was unsure what it was really called.

Thanks for reminding me with the right name,
Now where did I put that Golden medal.....

#8 ·
Ah, it's the myth of Inox again! I wonder how many people have actually tried this stuff. It's nothing special at all in terms of what it does to improve slotcar racing.

Inox does not clean rails. It's a liquid lubricant that is simply an effective slippery clear liquid. If you want to clean track that has tarnished then this will do absolutely nothing.

If your track is simply greasy and dirty then wipe the rails with cigarette lighter fuel and then apply a coat of Inox to keep it clean for a bit longer than usual protectants like WD40. The nice thing about Inox is that it does not attract dirt like other lubricants. Beyond this, Inox does nothing else and can interfere with electrical flow as it is non-conductive.

#9 ·
Each to their own Screwneck. Works for me. And has for the last 2 years. But I've never claimed that it was a cleaner. It is a dressing and protectant. Will protect from oxidation and moisture.

#14 ·
Non-conductive is technically accurate. While you might not notice a huge improvement for analog racing after cleaning/treating with INOX, the difference for digital racing is remarkable, and definitely not placebo or the same as other solutions. Clearly, it does help conduction between the rails and the braid, as the digital signal is cleaner and stronger when the rails are treated with INOX. Looking back, I wish I had video of when I first used it, as that would have reduced the debate significantly. Unfortunately, I do not, and my track has never performed as badly as it did when it was "clean" without INOX.

The stuff gets rave reviews because it IS effective and DOES improve performance, especially for digital. Why it helps is to do with metallurgy and chemistry, which is hard for me to understand and even harder for me to explain. Sometimes, though, words are not enough, and one must simply see the effects to admit that it helps. Hopefully those who have not even tried it will at least admit the possibility that so many people are not imagining things, and maybe try it for themselves some day.

Those who are interested, who have not already read it, might consider reading my original post describing what happened when I tried INOX for the first time. This was AFTER I posted about using other cleaners to get clean rails, which I was told time and again was the best way to get good performance. INOX is NOT my idea, by the way, even though I've become "the guy who always raves about INOX" on here and elsewhere. The original idea, I believe, was via BillyCart. Ember also used and recommended it. I wished I had taken their suggestions earlier than I did, but it's been great slotting since then anyway.
Here's the link to my post... if you've read this far, why not a little more? And for even more fun, check out all the disbelievers and converts that follow in that thread after my post:
http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=525891

#17 ·
I can't explain it but definitely the best stuff I have ever used on a digital track. Put up a tempory track at Easter, the pieces had been in a box for a couple of Years, completely unusable. A quick wipe over with Inox and everything was running nicely. However more important than that I have only ocassionaly used the track over the last 10 Weeks but it still runs very smoothly. Have never before been able to do that with a digital track.

Rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.