SlotForum banner

1967 Indy Paxton Turbine.

22K views 91 replies 36 participants last post by  jeri danger 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Driven by Parnelli Jones during the 200 mile race (500 miles) at The Brickyard (Indy), Car #40 lead 171 laps.

On the 197th lap, it suffered a gear box failure ($6.00 part) and eventually finished sixth.

What might have made a huge impact on automobiles had the gas turbine-driven car actually won the race?

The next year, "the powers that be" changed the rules to make the use of the gas turbine untenable in INDY car racing although they tried again with the Lotus 56 "Wedge".

I was asked to build this example using one of John Havlicek's beautiful re-wound 26D motors.

For a while I hesitated and balked at the idea of building a chassis with 4-wheel drive...

...but upon discovering a few drawings done by Steve O'Keefe over at Scratchbuilt.com sealed the deal.

Scratchbuilt.com

All bearings will be sealed ball races including the idler between the motor and the central drive shaft. Gear ratio will be 4.125 to 1, but can be adjusted later if need be.

The chassis is to be constructed from brass rod as much as possible as if the car were constructed in 1967-68.

Have not decided on the paint yet...

Hope this one goes fast as I promised Bosmeck that I would start on his Honda F1 after the 1st....

See less See more
#7 ·
The engineering concept of driving a shaft running along the axis of the motor is the challenge here and the use of an idler gear is what I chose. The motor bracket is a vintage steel piece that I cut up and added some brass tube and rod to strengthen in order to keep gear mesh smooth and quiet. The idler gear has a 0.125" shaft diameter so is perfect for a short section of axle. Axle bearings are used in the pieces of tubing and the idler spins nicely when run on bench power. Very little gear noise!

Plenty of clearance for the 0.938" drive shaft and gear now.

Onward and upward! 8)

#8 ·
Wow Jairus. Your builds are always such a pleasure to look at but this looks like it's going to be something else! I like this looking back to a time when all sorts of things were tried out. It seems we are now in a sort of post-revolutionary phase (no doubt Comrade Howmet would provide a more accurate description) where people know what works, and are less inclined to experiment. Pity - but that means there's a gap in the market for you guys!

David

#9 ·
QUOTE (BeardogRacing @ 30 Dec 2009, 00:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Welcome Mr Havlicek, this is the place to be, especially if your going to trick out SCX motors.

Jairus I await with bated breath to see another of your engineering marvels, but it aint no Lotus. I can't remember who made it but I'm sure someone here will.

Chris

I believe it was a Paxton Turbine.......... but I'm not 100% sure

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yes, Paxton Turbine. Andy Granatelli sponsered it and the later Lotus Turbine "Wedge" car (1968 top qualifyer). I see Edo fixed the heading, thank you Edo!

Onto the build...

Building outwards from the motor and idler gear... we now a drive shaft mounts! Yes, this will end up a brass Jail Door frame where possible.

With equipment installed the gears spin smoothly with a minimum of noise.
Now for the axles.

Onward and upward!

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Worked most of the afternoon on the chassis. Got it constructed but still need to clean up the rod ends and go back over the joints with a hot iron. Also need to trim the axle tube ends and construct a drop arm. Which is the main reason it sits partially hidden under the body. But... at this point the major components are in place and of they fit! So now I am going to go cook a pizza and watch a movie.
Ciao...

#19 ·
Definitely the best new build of 2010! Way too kool for skool. J'aime, J'airus. And after all this brilliantly radical frame engineering, I'm anticipating a characteristically outstanding paintjob already. Florescent red 'n black... yum.

Now- did you need some assistance with your Dune Buggy? I know someone who knows about these things.....

How was the pizza? I had a curry and watched Miller's Crossing. Wound up some Jean-luc Ponty on the wheels of steel and crashed out with some highland throat varnish. A Happy New Year to you sir.

#22 ·
The new year is upon us!

With strains of Led Zepp in the back ground I offer to all bloggers HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Okay... back to the thread. The unveiling....

Wheel Base is 3 7/8" and the guide lead is 7/8".

A lot of friction is present from all the gear mesh and lack of washers between bearings and gears. That can be sorted out later.... but I call the chassis nearly finished. Body fits like a glove and everything clears including the guide flag stops which amazed even me!!!

Motor spins up the gear train with a minimum of volts and it sounds like a hundred angry bees on the bench...

Chassis is heavier than I thought it would be, but the weight is near 50/50 front to back.

Next step is to add lead wires and rubber. NCP has yet again dragged out shipment to more than two weeks. Email inquires yield the standard "Your shipment is on it's way" answer. This is the last time I order rubber from THEM! Next time I go straight to JK.... So this means that productions stops for a time until I receive the rubber.
Drop arm is going to receive a little spring to keep it down. Not sure where is best to place it yet.

There are and will be more pictures here on my Fotki than I will post on the forum if anyone is interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.