SlotForum banner

Riggen 1/32 RTR Pro-Am Series

9K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  TSRF 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Jaak's thread on 1/32 thingies seems to be about the wonderfull cars he is building, and I don't want to high-jack his thread into something different, so I'll post these in here.

Lucky enough to pick these up recently.

They seem quite simple but quite nice non the less ... Would love to see them all.

Here's a Camaro Funny Car from the series. Cat # 295

See less See more
#6 ·
Hey MM,

I like those Riggen 32's too
I have a few of those bodies some where ? I'll have to dig them up and post them here
Gee.... someone should re-pop them all
The Cheetah is neat- like the idea of keeping the guide under the body

i-ray

#8 ·
QUOTE you cannot be suggesting that Cheetah is any way scale?????

I agree with Don. Scale or not, these are replicated after race cars or production cars, not Thingies according to the Kingies & Don's designations of long ago for this section.

Riggen did do some cool bodies though and I enjoy seeing them.

Thanks for the pictures of the catalog, anyway you could scan it for a clearer image?

Z

#9 ·
QUOTE (dgersh @ 1 Dec 2010, 12:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks MM for posting these - the ProAm cars don't seem to have been very popular at the time, but are now enjoying a bit of a revival I believe.

Why post these in the Thingie section? Maybe we should move them to Vintage - what say you?

Don

What ever you think is right Don ... if you think they more belong in the Vintage section I'm happy to go with the flow.

#11 ·
I did move it over to Vintage & Collectors because it seemed more appropriate.

Peter, if we put everything out of scale in Thingies, there wouldn't be much left in the other categories...

The Cheetah is a bit exaggerated, but not really Thingified.

Don

PS/ MM, wasn't this the set that also came with a pair of HO cars? Any pictures?

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE (Chapman @ 1 Dec 2010, 17:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Golden oldies: Abarth 3L & McLaren M8B:

WOW, they are really nice.

Thanks for posting those Chapman.

QUOTE 32Deuce wrote:
Thanks for the pictures of the catalog, anyway you could scan it for a clearer image?

Sorry Z, I don't have a scanner. Those images of the catalog were taken with my camera, so they aren't the best I admit.

#14 ·
Here you go MM; this was acually a two-part deal, with the cars coming much earlier and then the dual scale set a couple years later.

First, the introduction of the cars, from the January 1970 issue of Model Car Science:

Then, in the May 1974 issue of International Modeler (when this was about the only magazine covering slot cars on the Planet!), Riggen introduced the Pro-Am set with two 1/32 cars and two of their HO cars. The 1/32 cars are pretty much the same, but have been modernized a bit, with even skinnier O-ring front tires, and black foam rears instead of the original gray? ones. Looks like they put in any 16D motor they could find too, although these were magazine samples I assume.

Don

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a few. Here's a Chap 2E I just picked up:

...and the WWII German Staff cars #299 & #300:

Note: Is this a Cox Nascar motor? Or is it just a cheaper cut?

..and the other two have different 16d's:

..and finally a #278 Ford Pinto:

Who was Brimhall? Did he do any other slot bodies?

Notice that the brass chassis are can drive and the aluminum chassis are endbell drive, Hmmm

Z

#17 ·
Nice cars Z, and nice photos of them too .... love the Chappy . thankyou.

I had one of those German Staff cars (in Burgundy with a white roof) until recently, but a pal of mine is into hotrods so it's in his collection now.

QUOTE Homex Tx wrote: Body design by Brimhall! I like that! Some cool shapes there, well worth reviving.

I agree, would be great to see some re-pops of these.

#19 ·
This is getting interesting. I purchased some bodies years ago from Bob's collector shop that were marked as Riggen. After seeing Chapman's McLaren M8B now I'm not so sure because I assume Chapman's car is stock riggen.
Here are three McLarens, L to R M8A, M8B & M8D or are they?

Are they all Riggen? The M8B in the middle looks larger in scale and out of place with the other two which may explain why it's not the same as Chapman's.

The Riggen bodies seemed to be "Pre-Womp" and maybe inspired the womp with the short 3" wheelbase so they are not quite scale. Part # for riggen M8B RTR is 267 and X267 for the body I believe. The other two Mclarens I have no part numbers yet.

Opinions please.

Z

#21 ·
if i recall dynamic also did a wider lower mclaren body ... ?

interesting -

somewhere i posted some picks of my riggen ice truck (or named something like that)

i have the pinto too - i like the riggens by brimhall - somewhere 'not quite' thingies but really
emobodied 'fun' in my opinion

regards, ron

#23 ·
There are three eras of Riggen cars.
1/ 1966 to 1971: genuine Riggen cars, 1/24 and 1/32 scale, always with brass chassis, always packed in cardboard boxes. From 1971, HO scale too. Riggen purchases the old Revell track molds and issues their first racing sets that include 1/32 and HO cars mix. Then they bite the financial dust.
2/ 1972 to 1982: the company has been sold to Gayla Industries, and the brass chassis are liquidated, no more 1/24 scale cars, then the 1/32 scale tooling is used for making aluminum chassis. New body molds are created, the HO production continues. All the 1/32 scale cars are now sold on vacuum formed trays and a clear vacuum formed top.
3/ 1982 to 2004: Gayla bites the dust, REH purchases the inventory and sells it until the early 1990's, then runs out of chassis, so a new tooling is made for a brass chassis as well as a few newer bodies. These are still called Riggen but are sold mainly in racing sets that include re-popped Revell track.

The truly collectible Riggen cars are the ones made in the 1960's under the JAD name in the 1/24 scale (powered by Mabuchi FT26 motors), then the 1/24 scale "Group 12" and "Group 20" using Japanese nickel plated multiple-hinge chassis and Mura motors, then the 1/32 scale cars with brass chassis and using Cox guides and Cox NASCAR and Super-NASCAR 16D sized motors.

#24 ·
QUOTE One on the left is a BRM

Thanks Howmet. The BRM #109 on the catalog page Mirrorman supplied doesn't have a driver so who knows what mine could be.

I found out my Chap 2E was actually marketed as a 2G and is part # 320.

Thanks TSRF for that info, seems complicated like many of the other companies.

Z

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.