SlotForum banner

Improve your Scalextric Digital Controller!

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Gysse 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is a re-issue of posts 33 - 35 in the "Enjoy your Scalextric Digital Controller" thread. In Jan 2012 I promised to make a separate thread for this topic, and then forgot all about it...

ADJUSTABLE TENSION SPRING UPGRADE FOR THE STANDARD SDC
After giving the inside of the controllers a look and thinking the whole thing through I ordered six "TruSpeed Spring Adjust Kits #1" and as it turned out, it was no more than a <30min job. Of course, if you simply want a softer spring without the adjustment options, just find some springs in you local hardware store or search the web; there are some examples in Stan's original "Enjoy..." thread (cf the link above).

As noted below, there are a few future improvements to cover, but so far I'm extremely happy with the result. Here's a short how-to (pls. note that the figures have been uploaded in reverse order):
(1) Remove original spring and trigger.
(2) Cut 6mm off the spring/screw post (Fig 1 no 2). Keep the piece that has been trimmed off. NB: For the best solution please look at post #2 below to make a new post that allows more spring tension (longer travel for the adjustment screw)
(3) Cut liner from 1/8" (3.2mm) styrene tube and glue into centre post (Figs 1 and Fig 2 no 3).

Fig 1
(4) Screw kit mounting bracket onto the trimmed spring/screw post (Fig 2 no 4).
(5) Mount adjustable spring and adjust tension until trigger is fully pulled back when trigger is released.

Fig 2
(6) Trim right hand shell screw sleeve to allow spring movement (Fig 3 no 6).
(7) Cut and remove right hand shell assembly pin and replace with the 6mm piece of post (cf no (1) above). Glue and reinforce with 2 component glue. Let dry and drill hole through post and handle shell (Fig 3 no 7).

Fig 3
(8) Countersink from the outside (Fig 4 no 8).
(9) Cut opening in the right hand shell under the handle plate to allow access to the adjustment screw (Fig 4 no 9).
(10) Reassemble controller, using a 2mm flathead (countersunk) screw for the new post.

Fig 4
One down, five more to go!

Tips, tricks, and new ideas:
As there is no room for a saw when trimming the post (no. (1)) you can easily spend 15 frustrating minutes with an exacto knife. An oscillating tool (eg a Fein Multimaster) with a micro saw is the perfect solution.

If the trimmed of bit from the post is ruined, just use a piece of 5mm plastic rod or tubing for the new right hand side screw sleeve instead.

When adjusted at minimum tension there is only approx 4mm of travel left for adjusting tension. This can easily be increased by mounting a new carbon or plastic post below the original one. I intend to look into this in a future post.

An obvious upgrade would be to replace the weird cone-shaped plastic trigger pivot with 4mm brass or carbon tubing. I plan to cover this in another post.

Christian

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
ADJUSTABLE TENSION SPRING UPGRADE FOR THE STANDARD SDC #2:
More room for the spring, improved trigger pivot
I have been working on another controller, this time increasing the travel of the adjustment screw to allow more tension, and replacing the slightly tapered or cone-shaped trigger pivot post to make the trigger less wobbly.

In Fig 5, a new post has been added below and to the left of the original spring post [a], the pivot post has been cut away and the base prepared to accept a 2mm screw, and a new pivot post has been prepared [c] from 4mm brass tubing lined with polystyrene tubing. A 2mm screw w/o head has been glued into the new post to allow it to be mounted where the original one has been removed.

Fig 6 shows the left hand side shell fully mounted with the new pivot [d] and the adjustable spring kit. Two 0.5mm nylon spacers have been added, and contact cleaner and lubricant have been applied.

Christian

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
BETTER GRIP
The controllers are toys, really, and toy sized too. They tend to disappear in my hand, and even my 12 year old daughter complained that they are small and plasticky - slippery and disgusting when frantic driving makes your hands sweat. The last photo shows a simple fix wrapping the controllers in 3mm adhesive neoprene. Remember to cut slits to allow for easy disassembly. The two countersunk screws used for the new screw posts were what was left in my spares box; slightly larger heads would be nice.

Christian

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks, theofnagel.

QUOTE (Gysse @ 13 Oct 2015, 13:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Did all the hard work actually improve your driving ?

Hint : it is a trick question ?

Well, Gysse, it took a lot more than just hard work to improve my driving. However, it did make me enjoy the controller much more

/Christian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.