• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Bigtone

Bigtone

Tony

• PLUS+
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:14 PM

I am sorry to say that Chas Keeling of SCD passed away yesterday. My thoughts and condolences go to his family and friends. I had know Chas since the 60's and he will be very much missed among the slot racing community. I spent many happy hours talking with Chas at meetings, he was a real gentleman and one of the nicest men you could wish to meet.

RIP Chas

Tony
I'm Feeling Comfortably Numb

#2 Yazoo

Yazoo

Team Owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:28 PM

Thanks for posting that Tony, a very sad day for slot racing. I have known Chas since the 1970's also, I never met him but spoke a lot to him on the phone. RIP Chas.

#3 vfr750

vfr750

John Roche

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:46 PM

I rarely visit this forum these days as I'm not doing any slot racing at the moment and when I do I see this. I'm really sorry to hear about Chas. I'll always remember him as friendly and helpful, a really genuinely guy. RIP Chas.

John
The Devil made me do it.

#4 Jeff Norton

Jeff Norton

Racer Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:48 PM

Very sad news indeed. A constant in the northern ECRA/BSCRA scene for so many years. Always there with help, advice and an opinion.
If anyone knows the funeral arrangements, please post.

#5 gus3049

gus3049

Gordon Steadman

• Members
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:06 PM

Our time is passing sad.gif

Sad news for the community and more so for his family of course.

Gordon

#6 john.deeley

john.deeley

Learner Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:14 PM

Over they last few years had dealings with Chas for bits and pieces, he couldnt have been more helpful, a genuine guy of the old school variety
So sad to hear this news, condolences to his family, RIP Chas

#7 Coopdevil

Coopdevil

Sir Slotalot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:42 PM

Sad news. Chas was a real gentleman, and someone had always made time for anyone new to the sport which was how so many of us met him.

I just posted this to the BSCRA Facebook group which is my vivid memory of the first time I met Chas.

I remember the first time I met Chas - it was the first meeting I attended after starting slotracing, a Southern 32 meeting at Oaklands in the old Harry Mitchell. In the lunch interval, this white-haired avuncular figure with a very broad Northern accent suddenly produced a large Christmas tree decoration of Santa's sleigh with about four reindeer attached that was mounted on a old Womp chassis and proceeded to scream around the track (it was fast) the wrong way around with it as this was just after we'd reversed the polarity and the sleigh was still wired up backwards. He was laughing all the time while three other people were trying to practise. The fact that it must have been mid July when this happened just added to the hilarity of it. A good memory.

Coop

#8 tifosi

tifosi

Kitbasher

• PLUS+
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:27 PM

Oh Damn! There are nice guys and there are nicer guys and Chas was the latter...

I will think of him this weekend when I use my SCD throttle in Bordo'

Peter

'It was not me, it was broke when I got there......

'Tifoso - a member of the other red army'

#9 PETER GUNN

PETER GUNN

Top Tuner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:45 PM

Oh boy this is very sad news indeed , knew Chas for many years and what a gentleman always so helpful and a joy to chat to on the phone, I will miss him , condolences to his family R.I.P my friend.
K F WELLS

#10 Pendleslot

Pendleslot

Team Owner

• Retailers
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:10 PM

Very sad to hear this. We have know and dealt with Chas for over 20 years. Carole & I used to call in when passing through Bradford for a chat and collect some stock. He certainly made a massive contribution to slot racing and will be missed by many. RIP
Sean & all at Pendle Slot Racing

#11 Pendleslot

Pendleslot

Team Owner

• Retailers
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:24 PM

Owen - your picture of Chas was taken at the old Pendle Club room. Was it from the Pendle convention in 2006? If it was Chas still looked the same 10 years later!

#12 Coopdevil

Coopdevil

Sir Slotalot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (Pendleslot @ 2 Jun 2016, 22:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Owen - your picture of Chas was taken at the old Pendle Club room. Was it from the Pendle convention in 2006? If it was Chas still looked the same 10 years later!

Yes, although it's actually one of David Lawson's pics. Back at the Walken Fisher meeting. Ten years ago? Blimey.

Coop

#13 Pendleslot

Pendleslot

Team Owner

• Retailers
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:43 PM

Make that 11 years! Walkden Fisher event was in 2005. Just looked back at the old SF thread.

#14 Hobby

Hobby

Slot Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,527 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:52 AM

RIP Chas.
A true enthusiast who backed slot racing with his excellent business even through the dark days of the late 70's and 80's.
No side or ego to this man, a real Gentleman who by any measure achieved great success in many areas of our hobby.
He will be missed.
My condolences to his Family.
Regards Bill.

#15 David Lawson

David Lawson

Slot Guru

• Moderators
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:10 AM

Such sad news and my condolences to his family.

I did indeed take that picture of Chas at the Walkden Fisher meeting, I spent about half an hour discussing his scratchbuilt Harvey Aluminum Special and the all metal ATS that are on the table in front of him in the photo.

As others have said he was a gentleman and such a significant person in our hobby for so many years.

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users