Slot.it News - New Porsches and motor

9K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Slot.it 
#1 ·

News from Slot.it;

Porsche 956LH n.33 3rd LeMans 1984
Drivers: D.Hobbs, P.Streiff, S.van der Merwe
Code: CA02h
Official selling date: June the 24th

The 956 model was created by Porsche in 1982 to compete in the new Group C category. It was replaced in 1985 by the similar 962 model.
It was one of the most successful racing cars ever: it won four 24h Le Mans competitions consecutively, in 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, and the World Car Manufacturer title three times.

The car was powered by a 2.650 cc engine. Its monocoque aluminum chassis was new for Porsche, previously known for their space frame design. Through this change, the regulated minimum weight of 800 Kg was reached.
This car, driven by Philippe Streiff, Sarel van der Merwe, David Hobb, they reached 3th place at the 1984 Le Mans 24 Hours racing for the Skoal Bandit - Fitzpatrick Racing.

Porsche 962C 85 #4 Le Mans 1988
Drivers: M.Reuter, F. Hunkeler, K.Lechner
Code: CA34b with new motor MX16
Official selling date: June the 24th

The Porsche 962 is a sport-prototype racing car which was designed to replace the all-conquering Porsche 956, in order to comply with the updated Americans IMSA and WSC Group C rules which mandated a different positioning of the driver's feet. The Porsche 962's body and aerodynamics were routinely modified by various private teams during the racing season.

For this reason, Porsche 962 came often with modified nose and tail, as well as with custom wheel arches, air intakes and wings. Almost all private Porsche 956 were converted to 962 specification between 1985 and early 1986. The '962C' appeared for the first time at Le Mans in 1985. The engine was a liquid cooled, 6 cylinders boxer unit, with two turbos, 4 valves per cylinder and double overhead camshaft.

This car raced for Brum team at Le Mans in 1988, driven by M. Reuter, F. Hunkeler and W. Lechner and painted in Camel livery.

MX16
V12/4-23K RPM motor
no pinion, no cables

The CURRENT orange motor MX06 (v12/3 as we know it) is a 23K rpm. A few years ago the factory changed the metal case of the orange endbell motor, from the old one with rounded off edges, to the one with squared edges. This, for whatever reason, increased the RPM from 21.5K to 23K. We never rectified the ratings.

The new 23K motor (v12/4 from now on) is exactly the same as the V12/3 you're used to, except for two things:

1 - a different endbell, which is now a single piece in order to keep the brushes more firmly and hopefully have a more stable production

2 - a electrical noise suppressor (varistor ring) inside the motor

Performance wise, they are the same.

Images and information as supplied by Slot.it

See less See more
#4 ·
Oh come on Mauricio, you tease!!!

I have both Porsches on pre order, and they'll look great with my other 956 & 962's by Slot.it that I've accumulated. I've moved two months ago and my man cave is not finished so many of my good cars are in storage. I think these two make 19, and Mizuno will make 20. I've read many 'not another 956/962' comment on this and other forums, but having grown up from 7 years old with a Rothmans Porsche 956 poster on my bedroom door (Nurburgring '85, still have it) I say the more the merrier.

So, what's next? Peugeot 905? Toyota 89cv? Sauber c11? My money would go to any of those, but I reckon the 905 is the best bet...

#5 ·
Yeah he does like to tease does he not

I would love to see the late GrC like the 905, the Jaguar XJR14, the Sauber C11 Sauber C291 and the Toyota TS-010 (which technically are not Gr C's but build to WSC 3,0L motor rules)
In this group the XJR14 would be the most likely candidate (WEC and IMSA liveries) and the same mould could be used for a Mazda MRX-01
Maurizio's hint GrC/IMSA could also mean going back in time to the early Gr C's like Bob Tullius GR 44 racing Jaguar.

With kind regards
Tamar

#7 ·
The Group 44 Jag would be awesome --although the spare parts guys would have an annuity replacing the rear wings on the XJR14's!!!!

The Ford Probe would be interesting and unique --but I'm always hoping for the Ford C-100 and the Aston Martin--- but, regardless, it will most likely end up in my stable!!!

Steve

#12 ·
What a lot to look forward to ........ nice one Maurizio ....

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
With the Jaguar XJR-10/11 Maurizio is slowly coaching the Slot.it GrC range into the ninties so who nows, the XJR14 could be on the list.
But producing the latest Cat makes sense as it does not require a complete retooling.
Its an evolution of the XJR 9-12 series who's chassis design can be re used.

Based on this trend it would make more sense for Slot.it to to something like this...

image courtesy of farm7

than doing these

image courtesy of minerva-endurance.de

What ever it will be, it will be worth the money...and the wait

with kind regards
Tamar

#16 ·
Judging by the write up Gio I'd say just the 962.

I understand the idea behind the Jaguar, as stated it's a rarely done model and chassis tooling already exists. My theory with the 905 was based on dominance in era and the fact that there is no decent slot car of one. Hmm, perhaps the Castrol version for me

That said I was hoping for the Toyota 89cv as in my eyes it's prettier than the 88c and I did love my AFX super g plus minolta version as a kid, and the chassis tooling is there already. Still , once can't complain, Slot.it is still producing great cars that don't need total surgery to run very well, and at a price that the Mrs doesn't get too angry with.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.