> 1969 McLaren M8B, Bruce McLaren's Can Am championship winner
David Lawson
post 9 Jun 2006, 06:51
Post #1

Sir Slotalot
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 41

Before I describe the slot car a little bit of background to one of my all time heroes.

Bruce McLaren was a genius who crammed an enormous amount into his short life, he was a racing driver, engineer and a businessman. A very likeable and enormously popular New Zealander who as a teenager raced a tiny Austin 7 special and just a few years later in 1959 was driving and winning grands prix for the works Cooper F1 team.

After a few seasons international racing and not satisfied with just driving for others he started modifying and racing sports cars with his own team. As his activities developed it eventually led to him leaving Cooper at the end of 1965 and becoming a full time constructor of F1 and Can Am cars.

He always particularly loved big-engined sports cars and his team dominated the Can Am championship for several years. Fittingly it was McLaren who scored the first victory for his F1 team when he won the Belgian Grand prix at Spa in 1968 and he remains to this day in a club of two with just himself and Jack Brabham who have achieved this particular feat.

Sadly Bruce was killed at Goodwood in a testing accident in the spring of 1970 while preparing a car for the Can Am series of that year and I can still remember the shock when I saw the awful headline on a newspaper vendors roadside stall as I was driving home from work. By then Bruce McLaren had laid the foundations of one of the most successful Grand Prix teams in history. As we all know the team has continued to this day, winning races and championships in most major international series including multiple F1 world championships, multiple Can Am championships, the Le Mans 24 Hours and the Indianapolis 500.

I felt that a fitting slot car to remind me of Bruce was the 1969 Can Am M8B as it was the most successful McLaren built during his lifetime. His team annihilated the opposition winning every race that season and Bruce triumphed over team-mate Denny Hulme to emerge as the Can Am champion.

The Slot Car

I bought a couple of Charlie Fitzpatrick’s Betta McLaren M8A vacform bodyshells, a thick white polycarbonate one for the mould and a thin clear one to use for the windscreen. I simply slush cast with Alumilite resin to achieve a hard shell. This picture shows the beginning of the clean up to remove the moulded on detail and the opening up of the various vents, wheel arches and the cockpit area, this is to improve the look of the slot car and to convert the car to the M8B specification. The marbled look of the shell is a result of using the dregs of a container of resin so it's a bit rough but should clean up ok.

The chassis needed to be a sidewinder to allow a full interior so I sketched out a design having had a look at the Can Am Proxy website to get some ideas. I’ve used a Slot it motor, axles and gears – a TSRF guide and BWA wheels.

I made up the cockpit interior out of plastic; the dash panel, driver’s seat and monocoque panels are from plastic sheet. The gear lever and linkage are from piano wire, the driver figure and engine intakes are from the Maxi-Models range and the steering wheel comes from my spares box.

I sprayed the cockpit with Halfords aluminium car spray and detail painted with Humbrol enamels. I added some wiring and represented some riveting in the monocoque by twisting a fine drill bit on the surface. I extended the seat belt from the figure’s shoulder to the rear bulkhead of the cockpit. The drivers head is one of the “laughing boy” Revell items as it doesn’t have a peak and McLaren always raced with an open face Bell helmet without a peak, but I added a flame proof face mask with Milliput putty.

I built an aerofoil out of sheet plastic sanded to shape, again added rivet detail with a fine drill bit and used aluminium Bare Metal Foil to cover it.

This is the completed chassis, cockpit and rear aerofoil. The next stage to finish the car is to complete the clean up and detailing of the resin shell.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+
howmet tx
post 9 Jun 2006, 07:01
Post #2

Slot Guru
Group Icon

Group: PLUS+
Member No.: 241

Soooooooperb!
Groovy looking chassis there.... I'm still figuring out the flex points!

+
LMP
post 9 Jun 2006, 07:01
Post #3

Gary Skipp
Group Icon

Member No.: 769

Wow, that's stunning. Awstruck!

What an utterly fabulous build. Don't be shy with the progress David, its looking magnificent. Look's like a 'bookmark job' for the old reference folder! Nice also to see such a fitting tribute to one of your heroes smile.gif

--------------------
Gary

The Digital Slot Car Association

+
Markus Reichl
post 9 Jun 2006, 07:08
Post #4

Team Owner

Group: Members
Member No.: 974

WOW!

Pooooooh, great work, David!

I would like to know more about the moulding process.

Would you like to share the info?

All the best,

Markus

--------------------
RIP Andreas Reichl *13.04.1964 †26.05.2009
Requiem aeternam dona ei, Domine.
Et lux perpetua luceat ei.
Requiescat in pace.

+
BEEJAY7
post 9 Jun 2006, 07:27
Post #5

Alan Tadd
Group Icon

Member No.: 200

Superb David, Another masterpeice from you.

I can't wait to see the finished item.

Regards

Alan

--------------------
I am a and proud of it.

+
newsome
post 9 Jun 2006, 08:45
Post #6

Slothead

Member No.: 1,077

Briiliant David,love your articles and this one is certainly not dissapointing,that rear wing is superb.

look forward to the finished product

terry

+
Guest_Rail Racer_*
post 9 Jun 2006, 11:47
Post #7

Guests

David,
wonderful car love the interior detail. A car for Pendle?

Jeff

+
Ecurie Martini
post 9 Jun 2006, 12:25
Post #8

Al Schwartz
Group Icon

Member No.: 99

David:

Elegant!

EM

--------------------

+
Charles*Seattle
post 9 Jun 2006, 13:20
Post #9

Top Tuner
Group Icon

Member No.: 656

David

A lovely car .. and thanks for sharing all of the pictures and techniques .. it is really inspiring and pushes the rest of us to improve our modeling!!

Really looking forward to more pictures and the finished car!!

A real masterpiece!!

all my best

Chuck

+
JBriggsK9
post 9 Jun 2006, 13:22
Post #10

Top Tuner

Member No.: 21

Dave

outstanding work as always...... love the chassis and the body work is beyond most of use...... a master at work

Chris

+
Phil Kalbfell
post 9 Jun 2006, 14:34
Post #11

Phil Kalbfell
Group Icon

Member No.: 89

Great work as usual. Shame it was not around last year sure it would have scored very well in the Can Am proxy!

Phil

--------------------
Phil

+
PeteN
post 9 Jun 2006, 15:32
Post #12

Sir Slotalot

Member No.: 800

Absolutely beautiful work! Thanks for sharing that and the story, although I believe Dan Gurney also won an F1 race in his own car, Spa '67 I think?

--------------------
Pete

+
LMP
post 9 Jun 2006, 15:37
Post #13

Gary Skipp
Group Icon

Member No.: 769

But his cars wern't called 'Gurneys', wheras Brabham and McLarens, erm, were? Confused? I am! cat.gif

I think David is describing the record for people winning GPs with cars bearing their own name. Though I'm no historian, so, who knows!

--------------------
Gary

The Digital Slot Car Association

+
Simon
post 9 Jun 2006, 18:12
Post #14

Trackhead

Member No.: 2,572

Was it no Gurney who won driving the (arguably) most beautiful F1 car of all time?
This, the Eagle-Weslake

Great looking M8 as well by the way.
Simon

+
MattZani
post 9 Jun 2006, 18:37
Post #15

Sir Slotalot

Member No.: 3,666

1 word. Phooar! the wing looks brilliant and the details so far make it very high on the dribble.gif list! Congratulations

--------------------
If you have a PS3, Add Me! Love to keep intouch!

+

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 03:59
© SlotForum Copyright Notice - Please Read / © Aviso de copyright SlotForum - Léanlo, por favor / © A proposito del Copyright del contenuto di Slotforum - Per favore leggere attentamente