> Slot.it Lighting Kit... Need Help
mtalley
post 21 Jan 2008, 13:42
Post #1

Slothead

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,248

Hello Everyone –

I just purchased the newest Sauber (AEG livery), I also ordered a lighting kit for it. I understand the placement of the circuit board – but need help with installation of the actual LEDs (both front and rear) in the head and taillight areas. Where do I drill?

I don't want to chance ruining this beautiful car, so if you have any advice – more importantly photos showing internal setup of your Slot.it lighting kits, I'd appreciate it.

I hope that if this goes well, I'll order more the rest of my Slot.it Group C cars... These things are awesome! thumbsup.gif

Regards!

Mike Talley
Go to the top of the page

+
Swissracer
post 21 Jan 2008, 14:26
Post #2

Allan Wakefield
Group Icon

Group: PLUS+
Member No.: 5

Hi,
I am doing a 'how to' at the moment on a Fly Audi Quattro. When this is done it should help you understand how to install lights.
However, that is with an Overdrive light kit. I will take some pictures tonight of the Slot.it setup in an Audi R8C and of where to drill for the Sauber lights.
I will have to post them tomorrow.

--------------------
" Life isn't about how many breaths you take, it is about how many moments take your breath away."

+
mtalley
post 21 Jan 2008, 18:48
Post #3

Slothead

Swissracer –

Thank you so much. I look forward to it. I'm interested in the Overdrive "how to" as well, I'd like to to try their lighting kits in my FLY Classics.

Regards!

Mike Talley

+
Swissracer
post 21 Jan 2008, 22:37
Post #4

Allan Wakefield
Group Icon

You are welcome smile.gif
I will put up the pics tomorrow, along with my suggestions for the Sauber.
In the meantime there are 3 older 'how to' guides on Overdrive light kits (Lister Storm/Peugeot 206/Viper) in the Resource section (right hand column) of SlotForum. Happy hunting.

--------------------
" Life isn't about how many breaths you take, it is about how many moments take your breath away."

+
shaunbmx
post 21 Jan 2008, 23:01
Post #5

Trackhead

Member No.: 2,673

I have done this car. Head, Tail & Brake lights. Wired from a slot.it SSD chip, i did not use the slot it light kit but the led mounting is similar.

I will search to see if i have the pics and post them here.

Shaunbmx

+
Swissracer
post 22 Jan 2008, 09:42
Post #6

Allan Wakefield
Group Icon

Ok, the Slot.It light kit in an Audi R8C and then my suggestion for installing in a Slot.It Sauber Mercedes.

Audi kit:

It is a two part kit comprising the board and the lights. The two are joined via a connector as seen below. LEDs are pre wired and you just have to route them to ensure they do not foul the wheels, guide, gears or motor shaft...

On the Audi, the lower light is easier to fit to because the is more space between the LED wires and the front tyres...

Bending the wires from the LED should be done only once so be sure to bend them close to the LED. Once bent they should not be reset or they are very likely to break off (you have more leeway when bending further away from the LED but need the space in this case)...

On the left is the Audi chassis showing the base light board and connection to the guide. It is a drop fit into a space made for it and the same space is there on the Sauber (right chassis). I think the space is also for the SSD chip so I am not sure if both are possible together...

Ok, now to the Sauber:
The light lens can be eased away from the body with your fingernail. Lever from the bottom front edge and pull away. Replacement is simply the reverse. I would suggest using the inner light position for the LEDs and again, you will need to bend them tight to the LED itself.
To fit the front LEDs you will need to remove the double light units you see below (from inside the car, push them outwards) and then use a sharp knife or side cutters to remove the inner one on each side.
If you do this carefully you can replace the outer ones later. Next is to drill out the 3mm hole on each side where the inner lens went (it can help to use a nail or pin to scribe round the lens before removal to help location). Now it is simply a matter of refitting the outer lenses and the light cover. Then insert the LED from the inside until it touches the light lens cover and hot glue in place...

For the rears I suggest a straight swap for the installed plastic lenses. Pop them out from the inside outwards with a small screwdriver and use hot glue to fix the LEDs in place...

That should be it smile.gif reassemble and go play. I hope this is clear enough and if you have more questions just ask.

--------------------

+
mtalley
post 22 Jan 2008, 12:13
Post #7

Slothead

Swissracer –

Thank you so much. This is definitely a great help, and much appreciated! I'll let you know how it turned out.

Regards!

Mike Talley

+
Swissracer
post 22 Jan 2008, 12:19
Post #8

Allan Wakefield
Group Icon

No problem, just remember not to use super glue or any glue like that, it leaves a white mist over paint and clear plastic.

--------------------

+
Ian B
post 22 Jan 2008, 13:00
Post #9

Ian
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,098

Swiss,
I am not sure if both are possible together...

Yes the SISP12 (Slot.it SSD Chip) and SISP13 Light Kit Fit in to most Slot.its I have more trouble placing the LEDs than anything else.

--------------------

+
Swissracer
post 22 Jan 2008, 13:06
Post #10

Allan Wakefield
Group Icon

Good news, do you (or anyone else) have a picture of both boards fitted into a Slot.it car together? It would end this 'how to' nicely.

--------------------

+
Ian B
post 22 Jan 2008, 14:05
Post #11

Ian
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,098

I'll do one for you as soon as possible... not tonight though wacko.gif I already have plans.

I won't show you the Lights themsleves though...... WHY cause I used Super glue because you haddn't told me then I shouldn't lmfao.gif

--------------------

+
jason_russell
post 26 Mar 2013, 21:07
Post #12

Tea Boy

Member No.: 23,182

any chance that you can help me find the fault here. installed like it said but I get no brake lights just a dime red light all the time and the front lights stay on nice and bright even after the car is removed. not sure what has gone wrong with it if any thing.

+
RichD
post 28 Mar 2013, 16:31
Post #13

Rich Dumas

Member No.: 191

With the Slot.it lights the tail lights should brighten briefly when you hit the brakes, if not something is wrong on the board and the kit would have to be replaced. Unless you are keen on the brake light feature the Slot.it kit might be a waste of money if you run digital. With digital systems the input side of the digital board is at full track voltage as long as the car is in the slot. A voltage regulator and storage capacitor are not needed to keep the lights steady, all you need is the LEDs, a few resistors and some wire.

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 13:20
© SlotForum Copyright Notice - Please Read / © Aviso de copyright SlotForum - Léanlo, por favor / © A proposito del Copyright del contenuto di Slotforum - Per favore leggere attentamente