SlotForum banner

The Spa-Francorchamps inspired Digital Wood Track Story

284K views 386 replies 108 participants last post by  DPOZ02 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The Spa-Francorchamps inspired Routed Digital Track Story

Hi,

I'm finalizing a Routed Digital track inspired by Spa-Francorchamps (normal for a Belgian guy, isn't it).

The Concept Phase :

The track is using the BLST (Best Lane Slot Track) concept developped by David Caille (http://sillage.racing.free.fr).
It contains 14 lane changers (each automaticaly managed by its own electronic) taking care, at strategic places, to give a chance to the second car to pass (outside the best lane) the first one when enough close behind and providing an anti-colision mechanism to offer a car the chance to come back on the best lane at the right moment.

BLST is independant from the Digital system used. You can look at it as a buddy managing lane changes for you. Needed when you have 14 lane changers or you better be a Jedi

The Digital system used in the first phase is a Ninco N-Digital.

In a couple of weeks, the Digital system that will be used is the Wireless "Scorpius" developped by Australian friend Rick (alias Injectorman).
Scorpius will be in charge of only one lane changer, the 15th, the one to enter the pitlane. It will of course also take care to manage up to 16 cars (but I will most probably limit myself to 8) and lap counting.

The track has been designed on CAD/CAM software.

We had to troncate the Fagnes-Stavelot part to make it fit in my space. The Paddock had also to be placed on the opposite site as there was no space left in the center next to La Source.

The CAD/CAM file was used as input on a numerical router to create the 10 pieces that are making the track.

Here are 3 pieces created by the numerical router

I've created 22 feets adjustable in height and angle to simulate the Spa-Francorchamps landscape.

Here are a few pictures of the track construction.

The Wood Phase :

- The complete track assembled on the ground. The track is 4,8m x 2,0m.
If you consider the nearly straight (parabolic) line (of the best lane in red on the CAD/CAM drawing) going from La Source up to Rivage, it measures nearly 6m.

- Close ups on the lane changers (homemade by David Caille)

- The track positionning on its feets

- A few views from La Source first and Le Raidillon in Second

The painting phases :

- White Lines

- The uniform grey Macadam from the beginning

- The artistic touch to make it a little bit more natural

- And for the BLST lisibility , I've added some tire traces

- Finaly, a global view of the track after the paint phase

- A view of the Raidillon, for the fun

The copper tape phase

- Easier with a tool like that one

- A global view of the final work

It looks more and more like a slot track
We're gonna drive soon !

- A close view on the different sections around the lane changer used by the BLST system to automaticaly manage the flippers

Some soldering to connect the different sections to the BLST electronic pieces under the table and we're gone.

A few hours later, DONE ! The cars are running.

First chrono :
Ford GT40 Scalextric (no additional weight)
Dirty Track : 7s29
Clean Track (no special treatment) : 6s41 et 20 minutes later 6s14
Clean tires : 6s07 !
Some weight in front of the car and in front of the back wheels : 5s85 (tour record today)

The Plexi phases

- Quick ground painting along the track for more realism before placing some grass and trees

- After the 1m jump of my Ferrari 512S, it was big time to put a Plexiglass fence aroud the track

- So transparent that you have to correctly open the eyes

- And the final touch with a black paint on the bottom part of the Plexi.

That's the track today.
Waiting for the World Premiere BLST+SCORPIUS ...

Yup,

DDA

See less See more
#6 ·
It's a digital bomb to race

Starting with 4, you nearly never take the same trace twice.
You need constant attention, anticipate what could happen and react in consequence.
It's more like a real race than traditionnal slot. Even a step further than traditionnal digital.
100% adrenaline guaranteed.

Yup,
DDA

#18 ·
Thanks for your warm support and messages

QUOTE (ferraif40 @ 8 Apr 2008, 15:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... Are you going to add more scenery, like trees along the Kemmel straight? Or maybe some pits, the list goes on. I would love a video! ...
Jon

I will add some scenery. The Kemmel straight will be full of Fir Trees which will make it even more interesting as it will hinder the player view
There should be some sand boxes here and there like on the real race track and tire walls ...
I thinking about to create a replicate of the new Spa paddock but I've never made a building from scratch !

QUOTE (Thing-Fish @ 8 Apr 2008, 16:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I love checking everyone's track and yours is probably the best I've seen in terms of racing and realism.
How many lane changes do you have there? I lost count twice trying to count and I gave up.
14 managed automaticaly by the BLST system and 1 manual to enter the pitlane

QUOTE Are you a technical genius?
No. Just a computer system engineer. The electronic genius is David Caille who invented the BLST concept and the electronic that goes with it. So if you want to build the same kind of track you should contact David (BLST on miniend.com).

QUOTE How long did this take you to make?
I don't count the hours anymore but around 12 hours to build the feets, 4 hours to put the track on its feets, 15 hours for the painting, 12 hours to cable everything, 8 hours to install the Plexi etc...
The routing of the 10 pieces has been done by David Caille with his numerical router as well as the 14 electronic devices to pilot the lane changers and the lane changers themselves. So let me share your kudos with David too.

QUOTE I also can't wait to see a video of this ...
I will prepare one but let me have some fun with the track first

QUOTE (perthor @ 8 Apr 2008, 15:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

... How did you build the lane changers? ...
Per
That's the BLST secret

Yup,

Didier

#19 ·
Hi dda,

When can I come and try this out ?

I've been dreaming since a long time to build a track using David Caille's lane changers, but then in a Le Mans track environment...

Your track looks superb in every way and now I really want one too !

PLease send me a PM.

Cheers,

Yves

#20 ·
hi didier
that track is simply amazing its proberly one of the best i have seen.
i also think that the attention to detail you have done has really paid off, i also would like to see a video.
keep up the good work!
speak soon
James

#21 ·
I hate all you people that have access to CNC shops!

Beautiful race track. I have seen BLST mentioned in the past but didn't realize it was a "system" until your post. Without divulging any corporate secrets can you tell me how it works (I don't mean technically -- I mean descriptively -- does that make sense?).

Well done! I'm quite green with envy on many fronts.

Best regards,

#23 ·
This is a jaw breaker, I love it
So need and tidy executed.

Kind Regards From Denmark

#24 ·
truely magnificent track. been there quite some times, spending hours at les combes. racers coming uphill full speed, braking, cornering right,legt right gaaaaaaaaaaaaass!!! an absolute capture of the spirit of Spa, and build so tidy!!
(after I saw the 22 rests you mde I knew you were up to something!)

#25 ·
HI dda,

Fantastic work. So creative and so beautifully done. I shall keep coming back to follow this one. If the scenic work is as good as what you have done so far it will be really awesome. Mind you , if you need any tips you could do worse than get in touch with Yves (tadream). Having seen some pictures of his Petit Le Mans track, between you you would create a masterpiece.

David

#26 ·
QUOTE (Mark0 @ 8 Apr 2008, 19:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I hate all you people that have access to CNC shops!

Beautiful race track. I have seen BLST mentioned in the past but didn't realize it was a "system" until your post. Without divulging any corporate secrets can you tell me how it works (I don't mean technically -- I mean descriptively -- does that make sense?).

Well done! I'm quite green with envy on many fronts.

Best regards,

What's a CNC shop ? new to me !

Well the BLST system (Best Lane Slot Track) makes the cars react like on a real race track and keeps your car on the best lane as much as it can.

2 cases can make it decide differently :

- First Case : You are approaching another car. At the approach of a lane changer, if you're close enough to that other car (something the BLST system can sense thanks to current consumption analysis in that area and a distance you can decide yourself when designing your track) the BLST system will make you leave the best lane to give you a chance to overtake that car.
- Second Case : You are overtaken by another car. When approaching a lane changer that would let you continue on the best lane, the BLST system can decide based on that other car position to not let you do so to avoid a collision and drive you on a parallel track to the other car one.

A last case where the BLST system is coming in action is to bring you back on the best lane once you're not anymore (you are being overtaken - as mentioned in case 2 - or you are overtaking as mentioned in case 1). Approaching tje next lane changer, the BLST system will sense if one car as taken enough distance on the other and let that one go back on the best lane.

More I can't share. This is also what David is sharing on his website http://sillage.racing.free.fr/, in French unfortunately, where you can find also some videos illustrating the concept.

FYI, David Caille sold also its patent to Slotfire who's now selling an upgrade solution for their three lane system using the BLST system. Those tracks are of course very high end like all the Slotfire ones and quite pricy.

Yup,

DDA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.