Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Resin for Slot Car Bodies
Julian_Boolean
post 2 Apr 2009, 12:47
Post #1

Slot Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,466

I am intending to mould some slot car bodies from die cast models, does anyone know what silicone to use for the mould and what resin to use for the body and most importantly where I can get these from in the UK, my local model shop www.galaxymodels.co.uk stocks resin but is it the right sort?

--------------------
Playing with toy cars
Go to the top of the page

+
Mike Newns
post 2 Apr 2009, 14:00
Post #2

Mike Newns

Member No.: 5,678

I always use Alec Tiranti's; they have shops in Warren Street and Theale but their mail order is quick and they are very helpful. If you go through their site you should be able to figure out what you need (probably T30 Silicone and GP Polyester Resin) but there are many alternatives and if your not sure give them a ring.

www.tiranti.co.uk

Mike

+
triumph1
post 2 Apr 2009, 14:09
Post #3

Slothead

Member No.: 10,381

thank you for bringing up this topic julian, it is something i have wanted to have a dabble at for some time now. there is surprisingly little in the way of explanation or name dropping of retailers or companies that sell or market these products. other than a rather bland statement of that an item had been constructed using a resin casting.i am sorry that i c,ant be of direct help to you in your enquiry. it would appear that most of the forum guys have their own sources but are loathe to say so in print. i think that this should come as a resourse in these collums so that everyone can draw on it. make their own mistakes what ever and have at least the option to have a go. perhapse some "names" will oblige with an answer. howmet has come nearest so far with his fascinating recent article on shells and vac forms (nice photos) but no detail as to the origin of the materials used. like you i grope in the dark, (give us a sign) best regards peterjon.

+
MAF
post 2 Apr 2009, 14:22
Post #4

Team Owner
Group Icon

Group: PLUS+
Member No.: 487

I use Tiranti's also. T20 silicon rubber for the moulds and Axson F16 Urethane Resin for the castings.

PS. Peterjon, you only have to ask wink.gif

--------------------
Cheers, Marlon

+
Julian_Boolean
post 2 Apr 2009, 14:49
Post #5

Slot Guru

Cheers for the info, it was just what I needed.

Peterjon, Southend slot car club have a web site giving instructions on moulding cars, and Southend is right next to Westcliffe.

--------------------
Playing with toy cars

+
montoya1
post 2 Apr 2009, 15:12
Post #6

Deane Walpole (eahorc.com)

Member No.: 1,702

I will try and find you the address for Roger Corrie, and American with a massive reputation for producing good stuff.

I will also give the email address of the guy who made my Mega-G F1, he is moving house at the moment so will likely be out of reach for a bit.

I am sure both will be happy to discuss the properties of what they use, so you can find a UK equivelant. To my mind too many resins, at least in HO, are way too heavy to be raceable, but that does not apply with these two gents.

That reminds me I must weigh the Williams....

--------------------

+
Julian_Boolean
post 2 Apr 2009, 15:40
Post #7

Slot Guru

Cheers Deane, that will be useful, I'm not too worried about making bodies for racing, it's more making slot cars that aren't available or very good in HO, BTW I may have a nice die cast Lancia Delta HF Intergrale and a Stratos that will be the basis of my first two bodies.

I crash too much during racing to make a resin body viable for me to race, I need a crash proof body for racing.

--------------------
Playing with toy cars

+
montoya1
post 2 Apr 2009, 16:42
Post #8

Have you got a picture of the donor Intergrale?

--------------------

+
Julian_Boolean
post 3 Apr 2009, 08:00
Post #9

Slot Guru

QUOTE (montoya1 @ 2 Apr 2009, 17:42) *
Have you got a picture of the donor Intergrale?

It's a 1/64 die cast one made by CMs. Picture to follow.

--------------------
Playing with toy cars

+
Dave Sykes
post 3 Apr 2009, 08:09
Post #10

provider of comestables
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,615

Hi,

I use Tiranti T20 silicone and G26 two part urethane resin. polyester is too noxious to use my dog used to suffer lying on floor directly above cellar were i was casting and the mix ratios are diffficult. also look up Techsil as i use them for some advanced resins for tyres, resin dyes and crystal clear resins(not found a good one yet). Does this help? don,t think its a trade secret but we all build up a bank of casting tricks from experience . I even ran a day course up here in Manchester on Casting last year.

+
Julian_Boolean
post 3 Apr 2009, 09:53
Post #11

Slot Guru

Do you use a release agent?

--------------------
Playing with toy cars

+
Dave Sykes
post 3 Apr 2009, 11:26
Post #12

provider of comestables
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,615

Sure I use Spray wax as release agent for making two part mould but not needed for casting from then on. Used to be Ambersol but brand has changed and so has formulation. I have had problems releasing mould half's but this seems to be sorted with more diligent aplications of release agent.

+
steve francis
post 3 Apr 2009, 12:12
Post #13

Trackhead
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,297

I`ve found the silicon rubber starts to grab the resin and tears after about 30 pulls. Being a cheapskate I use about 50 mls of white spirit mixed well with a level teaspoon of vaseline for a release agent and simply brush it on. cheers steve

+
montoya1
post 4 Apr 2009, 10:25
Post #14

QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 3 Apr 2009, 09:00) *
It's a 1/64 die cast one made by CMs. Picture to follow.

I think they are a bit on the small side? If they are the same as the stuff that was marketed as Kyosho 2-3 years ago.

Just to throw something out there, Roger Corrie is the master of adding a material that expands the shell by a set amount. I think there is a material that contracts them too. So if the donor body is too small or too large you use a set amount of this stuff to end up where you want to be.

--------------------

+
ClubSpecial
post 4 Apr 2009, 10:59
Post #15

Team Owner

Member No.: 11,261

I've heard that if you mix white spirit with the rubber it grows. Quite how you control by how much, I don't know.
Another, more expensive way is to cover the pattern with sheet wax, mould that, then use it as a bigger basic pattern to detail. We used to use that method in the full size prototype car industry.
cheers,
C/S

--------------------

+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st November 2014 - 05:55
© SlotForum Copyright Notice - Please Read / © Aviso de copyright SlotForum - Léanlo, por favor / © A proposito del Copyright del contenuto di Slotforum - Per favore leggere attentamente