184 replies to this topic

#1 Wiggie

Wiggie

Slothead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:09 AM

Before the actual building starts I just want some opinions about two possible designs. The track will be CNC routed and, if possible, BLST....

The first design measures 24,5 mtrs and the second 25,5 mtrs.

Design 1

Marc

#2 Umbra

Umbra

Team Owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:36 AM

Both looks like fun to drive but I think I prefer the first one :-)

Though the second gives more variation to the track I think... Difficult choice.

#3 peteij

peteij

Learner Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:05 AM

Overall I like the second one better for the variation. The only bit I am not so keen on is the triple hairpin.

#4 cudak9

cudak9

Slothead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:21 AM

Interesting layouts. I'm thinking you will get tired of so many hairpins. One is good and a longer straight is a must. Experiment until you come up with a design you can live with for a long time being that it's going to be a permanent routed track.

#5 Umbra

Umbra

Team Owner

• Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:22 AM

hehe you could make that part of the track as a module so you can change it :-D

#6 1eye101

1eye101

Stuart Walters

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:27 AM

Good designs,I think the first 1 flows better. Just something to consider if your adding scenery:

If you keep the cross over as it is that would mean your pits will be on a slope. This would be a lot harder to model than if they were on a flat section.

Stuart

#7 justDave

justDave

David Collins

• PLUS+
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:34 AM

Marc,

I like your first version better, but would elevate the two back straights and join them with a wide-radius sweeping turn at the top right. Then use the front straight to descend from the bottom right hairpin, then left in front of the pits into the twisty section which could climb gradually over a bridge and then up to the top-left hairpin. Most of the marshalling requirements would be at front of the layout. The track would give a lot of possibilities for scenery, if that's your thing - I'm thinking A1 Ring, Nordschliefe...

David

#8 Nikko

Nikko

Greg Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:50 AM

I like the first one. It has a very nice flow and seems to have enough graceful elements to make the racing fast and exciting. Also the second some of the turn combinations seem a little tight.

#9 Funky Diver

Funky Diver

Top Tuner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:36 PM

I love the first one... really nice lines, and plenty of space for trackside scenics, and as 1eye says... pit entrances / exits on a slope would be quite cool... ala Brazil GP circuit (forget it's name) smile.gif

Not overly keen on the second one...

Go JENSON!!

#10 David Caille

David Caille

Top Tuner

• PLUS+
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:41 AM

Hi Marc,

what do you hear with "if possible BLST" ?

regards

david

#11 Black3sr

Black3sr

Bill Beggs

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:12 PM

Way too many hairpins. You will spend more time walking to replace cars than driving. Occasional drivers will not enjoy it either as too technical.
New(April 2009) wood track is here My wood track

Place a pin on my map. My Site Scroll down to the bottom of the home page for the map.

#12 Wiggie

Wiggie

Slothead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:21 PM

Thanks guys, lots of comments and advice.

The first design was one of the first a drew rolleyes.gif , although there's a nice flow in it there's to little variation.... that's why I made the second one. More variation but way to many hairpins, I agree. I have to go back to the drawing board and will share the outcome when finished.

As far as the scenery is concerned my standards are pretty high. I made most of the buildings and some of the landscape scenics of "my" club track ClubTrack website. Sorry its only in dutch, but just go to "verslag (circuitbouw)" and open the PDF's.

1eye101; I will try to keep the pitlane on a level base to keep the building as simple as possible. The right side will be on al higher level and the climb to the crossover will be a steep one.

David; Slotracing on the bestline with a sort of anti collision seems for me to be the ultimate. Whether its going to be BLST, Scorpius or Oxigen? I really do'nt know Need to do some investigation and analyse the possibilities.

Marc

#13 racerx

racerx

Learner Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:05 AM

Looking Good Marc!

I like the 1st one because it has great flow on the racing line. The section that I would change is the hair pin to the left of the pits in the center (A few turns before the finish line). I would make that section a little faster and add some kind of chicane right before the last turn to keep it interesting for the finish line : )

looks great!

What are you using for your lane spacing?

How much space are you allowing on the outside of the track for sliding cars?

Are you going to use braid?

I am eager to see your progress and best of luck.

Bryan

#14 Wiggie

Wiggie

Slothead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:33 AM

Although most of you preferred the first design I came up with my final design. It has more variation in the corners, althoug there are 2 hairpin's there is a highspeed curve in the center of the design. After this high speed corner there is a technical medium speed left right combination whic looks like fun to drive. After the pitstrait and the first 2, 3 corners there is a high speed part (including the backstrait) of almost 6 meters. This is almost a quarter of the entire track.

Now its is time to go to my brother, who designs CNC 3D drawings for a living, to put the design in his program. Although it gives a lot of fullfilment to rout your own track, I want this track to be CNC routed.

RacerX; Lanespacing is 90 mm at this moment (ninco track measurments) and I do'nt know what I am going to use for sliparea yet. I'm going to use coppertape (silvercoloured though) to power the lanes.

Marc

#15 Slotrace.dk

Slotrace.dk

René 'Vialli' Christensen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:40 AM

I like the first design best, only because I'm not into bridges, so I would choose the design with less bridges.

But I fail to see where the drivers should stand during racing to be able to see all the track???
A good place would be behind the pits, but I guess there is a wall there?
kind regards
René Christensen

Cars on canvas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users