Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scalextric C2964 Lotus 49 'Gold Leaf Team' REVIEW, Graham Hill No. 5, 1968
manic35
post 12 Nov 2009, 12:58
Post #1

Racer Dude

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,683

I just finished a review on the 'Gold Leaf Team' Lotus 49, what a stunning slot car. We are being spoilt with the quality of slots being released during the last quarter. smile.gif

Hope you enjoy.

The driver figure, steering wheel and dash detail are excellent; the driver is clearly making a left hand turn which is a nice touch. Detail abounds, there is a Lotus emblem in the centre of the steering wheel that is so small I didnít even see it for the first week I had the slot. Side mirrors are plastic and are attached to the front windscreen, they are well enough protected by the wheels and drivers head in the event of an Ďoffí.

Moving on to the rear of the slot you can clearly see the moulding (in the engine) to accommodate the crown gearing - This doesn't detract from the model. The rear end is where the detail on the Lotus really shines, the rear suspension, exhaust and engine look just fantastic! The toe hook, refuelling pipe and cap, engine rivets and leads, roll bar and extractors look terrific! Scalextric have done a really good job of cramming in as much detail on what is a tiny model, it only weights 51 grams and is 130mm long!

The wheels look accurate and impressive and the overall sleekness of the Lotus 49 has been captured very well. The 49 reminds me a little of the Scalextric Cooper, just sleeker. If you watch the above movie of Graham Hill putting the Lotus 49 through testing you would have noticed just how wide, low and sleek the 49 was. Iím very happy to say the Scalextric release does the 1:1 Lotus 49 justice.

The 49ís body is attached to the chassis via 5 small screws and like most classic Scalextric offerings, the body is a little tricky to pull apart and put together.

This is a VERY light slot car weighing in at a tiny 51 grams. Combine this with the Mabuchi FF 18000rpm motor in rear-wheel drive configuration and you have an impressive power to weight ratio. Adding to this impressive figure is the Lotusís low centre of gravity. Magnatraction is provided by Scalexticís faithful 2.5mm round magnet resulting in 235 grams of down force. Like most slots in the Scalextric classic range, there are only two locations for the magnet, in or out. So on paper the 49 has all the right ingredients but enough talk, letís see how she actually goes on the track.

You can read the full review on my blog, (see link below).

--------------------

Visit my slot site at: http://manicslots.blogspot.com.au/
Go to the top of the page

+
ironman
post 12 Nov 2009, 13:25
Post #2

Tom Brown

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,716

great review.

Im glad graham hill's head protects the car nicely in crashes . . . it just got me thinking its a good job he never flipped the real thing! From your review the car looks and sounds amazing, very fast and nice to drive. Easily scalextrics best looking classic F1 release ever, and probably the most drivable to.

I only have 1 complaint - you didnt test it without the magnet! innocent.gif

so how has the car stood up since then? has there been any more accidents/damage?

tom

--------------------
++++

Chances are I've written this message using my mobile blackberry. If this is the case then what is written above might be full of spelling errors, random letters, badly laid out and generally a load of old rubbish - so no different from usual then :)

Tom

+
loosesalute
post 12 Nov 2009, 13:30
Post #3

Slot God
Group Icon

Group: PLUS+
Member No.: 5,809

I agree with Ironman. Great review, and excellent photography Manic. This model has certainly kept the Scaley knockers quiet for a bit. biggrin.gif

+
BEEJAY7
post 12 Nov 2009, 13:47
Post #4

Alan Tadd
Group Icon

Member No.: 200

Great review and fabulous photo's... thumbsup.gif

The best car from Scalextric for a long time.

It's just a shame the Gold Leaf decals couldn't have been included some how, but I fully understand why it wasn't done.

More of the same please, (dare I say a "high wing" version).

Regards

Alan

--------------------
I am a and proud of it.

+
Minardi
post 12 Nov 2009, 13:52
Post #5

Sir Slotalot
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,324

Simply stunning. Now who will be the first to cram in a SSD-chip ? I Know they are not supposed to accept a chip, but hey, so did Hunt and Lauda but they know drive happily in digital mode. laugh.gif

--------------------

+
loosesalute
post 12 Nov 2009, 14:06
Post #6

Slot God
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,809

Hi wing version Beejay? Yes please. (Scaley would also make a fortune on selling spares biggrin.gif ).

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 20:06
© SlotForum Copyright Notice - Please Read / © Aviso de copyright SlotForum - Lťanlo, por favor / © A proposito del Copyright del contenuto di Slotforum - Per favore leggere attentamente