SlotForum banner

4 Lane Start Finish separated from PBPro SH

5K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  ss67 
#1 ·
I have discovered that a 4 lane conversion has been done.

My understanding is that it works fine as long as two cars don't cross the sensors at exactly the same time (unlikely but not impossible).

I want to separate the track from my PBProSH and have a 3 or 4 lane start/finish so that I can run my full main straight at 3 lanes.

Is this a good idea or a bad one?

Does/will it work fine with SSDC?

I am an electronics novice and would appreciate all the help/ advice I can get.

Thank you.

#2 ·
I converted one of my PBPro-SHs some time back. It took me a good while to decipher the thread and pluck up the courage to hack the sensors.

It works very well and avoids the start line pile-ups I used to get. My extra sensor boards came from a C7039 lap-counter. So far, I have not noticed any problems with SSDC

#4 ·
I've done threads on 3 lane and 4 lane starts, neither is simple you need to be good with a soldering iron and have a multimeter to check the track cuts are good (thats normally where people fail)

#5 ·
I've done it! (Or at least a friend has done it for me)

No matter how hard I try I just can't upload pictures here but here are a couple of links if anyone is interested.

Modified powerbase

Corporace Mobile Track 1

It works quite well as a three lane start/finish with the fourth lane for pit exit.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE (ss67 @ 18 Mar 2011, 15:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Modified powerbase

Are those red & black things sticking out controller plug adapters? And are they for an extension lead & if so is there somewhere on the internet that I can get them because I've got a Jadlam extension lead of which the outer casing is just a bit too wide to go in the 7042 APB and I don't want to drill out the plastic as I did with the 4car powerbase?
Chris

#10 ·
hi
there is a thread on here somewhere and a few members tried to match the jack plugs scaley use.I think there was some success mainly using stereo plugs.

I have done one of my own using bell wire and choccy blocks to see if it all worked ok as the digital throttles only have 2 wires in them,all was good so cot some better quality cable and soldered it in and used heat shrink to cover.

Cost £2 for 2 meters of cable,no doubt there are even cheaper forms of cable out there.£10 for one does sound a bit extreme.

#12 ·
hi
choccy blocks are the plastic terminal blocks that you can use to join up 2 peices of wire together.

heat shrink is a plastic tube you slip over a soldered joint to cover it.Once you have soldered your wires together slide the heat shrink tubing into place and then use a heat gun or hair dryer on the heat shrink and it provides a nice professional finish.

#14 ·
Thanks for the explanation of "choccy bloks", BigBird.
Answers my question, too.

Cheers!

#16 ·
QUOTE (chris99 @ 18 Mar 2011, 17:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are those red & black things sticking out controller plug adapters? And are they for an extension lead & if so is there somewhere on the internet that I can get them because I've got a Jadlam extension lead of which the outer casing is just a bit too wide to go in the 7042 APB and I don't want to drill out the plastic as I did with the 4car powerbase?
Chris

Those are uprated power connectors added when the powerbase is given the Simple-H power mod by RichG or Riko

#19 ·
Sorry for the delayed response on this thread.

It seems as though others have answered the questions raised - Thank you!

I chopped the track off of a PBPro SH along with the track from another C7030 then joined them together and connected back to the powerbase with a power lead and two USB leads for the sensors.

we used USB connectors as they look tidy and fit neatly into the side of the track.

#20 ·
ss67,
Do you have any diagrams/pics (other than the one of the finished product) to show how you wired the USB data ends to the PB?
I was going to use RJ45/cat5e connectors as they are designed for wiring but did not know you could get USB connectors that you could wire to.
Any info on this part would be appreciated.

I plan to use standard banana plugs into jacks for the power.

Thanks.

Cheers!

#21 ·
QUOTE (sealevel @ 30 Jun 2011, 18:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>ss67,
Do you have any diagrams/pics (other than the one of the finished product) to show how you wired the USB data ends to the PB?
I was going to use RJ45/cat5e connectors as they are designed for wiring but did not know you could get USB connectors that you could wire to.
Any info on this part would be appreciated.

I plan to use standard banana plugs into jacks for the power.

Thanks.

Cheers!

Hi sealevel,

Just looking back over some old posts and realised I hadn't responded to this.

If you still want a schemtic wiring diagram for this then PM me your email address and I will send you a pdf of it.

#23 ·
QUOTE (Michael363672 @ 22 Sep 2011, 11:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Any chance you could post it here so we can all see

Thanks

I would but I don't know how to post up a pdf file??????????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.