SlotForum banner

Back to the roots - or: Why buy trees?

11K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Robert Tavington 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi slotfreaks,

a few days ago I posted a few pictures of my Testtrack here (http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50723&st=0). There were lots of compliments and questions about my trees. I am a big fan of scenery on slottracks. I like it maximally realistic but minimal expensive. This led to some trees mostly found in nature. Combined with little green out of the model-shop (I prefer Heki, order number 1671 "bushes and trees medium green". They can be put into little pieces an leed to an enourmous result. (www.heki-kittler.de)) Here are some pictures. All these little branches where taken out of the forest last sunday. They are not treated yet, so imagine what potential they have when you take away a little thing here and there or add something elsewhere. If wanted I can post the progress of making them to trees.

This is blueberry for example. They will give great roadside-trees.

This is Erica, older one out of forest. The ones from the shop dont reach that size.

This is one of my personal favorites: Fat hen. As solitaire it looks little boaring...

...but in combination with arcacia: I like it! Note the shadows,too! Remember: Untill now all is natural, even now it looks great. Now it has to be cut a little here or there, the natural leaves/flowers have to be taken away and replaced by the Heki-ones from above. I did about 35trees like this for less then 20Euro!
How do you produce most realistic trees, do you have ideas,too? I would be very interested to know!

Regards Jens (Kellerkind)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Good Idea Jens, much better size than the ones from model shops. I am about to start the scenery on my rally track where I need lots of bare trees, it is set in January, so I will go out and collect some. Thanks for the tip.

Regards, Lloyd

#3 ·
Nicely done on the test track, by the way. And yes, I too had been admiring your trees. I'd certainly be interested to see how you take them from there to the finished product. Not familiar with the Heiki product you mention.

Although I've searched almost continuously, I've not yet managed to find branchlet stock that will produce the effect that I'm after. So the few trees that currently inhabit my track are done the long way, from a wire wound base.

I use Noch Leaves for foliage. The product suits the openness of gum trees. Still not quite succeeded in producing big gnarled 'old man' red gums.

Cheers
Embs

#5 ·
Hi Lloyd, Ember, Thairacer and all the other tree-freaks. Before posting further more, I have to order some Heki-leaves for this project first. I guess this will take a few days. But be shure: You wont be forgotten! You can possibly use the time for a walk through the forests? But beware of steeling your neighbours fat hen!

#6 ·
Hi Jens , yes pls I'd like to see your tree making work shop. Do you have any that you have already made.
I also have some tree's from nature, they look quite good but would be better with a bit of added artificial foliage .
The best ones I have found are usually seeding flower heads. Its Spring in NZ so its a good time of the year.

tell yuor neighbour to lock up his chickens

Grant

#8 ·
Jens, I just showed the photos to the Wife & she grabbed the dried Aussie flowers she had (getting past it) and went through looking for decent "Trunks". She's going to avoid stripping the twigs/foliage & so hard next lot I get her so I can use the twigs afterwards. Thanks for the idea!

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yes! Thats exactly what you need! They will make great little roadside trees. The rest wont be difficult. I hope my ordered leaves arrive soon. Regards Jens (Kellerkind)

#11 ·
I made my fir trees using the cornbroom method. The others I picked from garden and baby's breath from florist. I first hold them upsde down and spray with a dark green. Then from the top hit them with red/yellow and orange. SOme brown for the trunks with a brush. Gives a nice Canadian Fall look. Do not have to worry about them getting broke.

This is one group waiting to go on new track.

#12 ·
Hi black3sr, I see! I tryed your method greencolored with fat hen, I havent been so happy with that. I guess it was because the little flowers of the hen where too big and the leaves appeared too tight (I always prefer an open look where you can see more of the wood, lets say like springtime). I think this method could meet my needs using flowers like yours in areas of the track farer away from drivers or when trees of forest have to stand tighter to each other in some areas. The red-orange-yellow colored style gives a nice look, too. If you are fan of authumscenery: Did you try birch-seed? They look great as fallen down dead leaves. By the way, did anyone try needletrees, too? Thanks, Regards Jens (Kellerkind)

#13 ·
QUOTE (Kellerkind @ 13 Oct 2010, 12:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi black3sr, I see! I tryed your method greencolored with fat hen, I havent been so happy with that. I guess it was because the little flowers of the hen where too big and the leaves appeared too tight (I always prefer an open look where you can see more of the wood, lets say like springtime). I think this method could meet my needs using flowers like yours in areas of the track farer away from drivers or when trees of forest have to stand tighter to each other in some areas. The red-orange-yellow colored style gives a nice look, too. If you are fan of authumscenery: Did you try birch-seed? They look great as fallen down dead leaves. By the way, did anyone try needletrees, too? Thanks, Regards Jens (Kellerkind)

Welcome Jens

When you say needle trees do you mean trying to use actual trees or make your own?

bill

#14 ·
Hi Bill,
I mean making model-needle-trees on my own.
By the way, Heki-stuff arrived yesterday - only have to find some time for production, photographing and posting.

#15 ·
QUOTE (Kellerkind @ 14 Oct 2010, 03:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Bill,
I mean making model-needle-trees on my own.
By the way, Heki-stuff arrived yesterday - only have to find some time for production, photographing and posting.

I made my own pine(needle) trees. Used corn broom, wire and my own grass for needles.

A lot more better pics of mine on this page - just scroll down.

My old track

#16 ·
Hi Bill, what does "Your own grass" mean, do you produce it on your own? Needle-idea with grass is great, I should work on this!

Hi Treefreaks, now watch this. Dont be surprised how easy things go:
First step is to take a walk. In my case I found a nice bush right in our garden, not even knowing that it grows there!

Second is to take off the naturak flowers and leaves. Further you have to think about the arrangement: As natural wood mostly has its little branches in only one direction in might be necessary to arrange them in groups to get an natural "growtheffect" again. Try to estimate the needed heighth; usually they look better on the track when not too big. Remember: Once cut they dont grow any more
! Dont cut length of the branches in this stage, possibly take out one or another if they appear too tight. Like winterarrangements? Stop working here and plant them on track!

Now here is the stuff of desire: Heki #1671 middlegreen.

As the parts of the stuff are too big typically and leaves are too tight, devide it into smaller parts and take off overflowing leaves by pressing with the fingers smoothly.

Put them between branches like desired and fix them with a little drop of highspeedglue.

In the end cut off too long branches. Not really tricky or even magic, isnt it?

Dont they look great?
I guess I will post other trees next, have fun, Regards Jens (Kellerkind)

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi treefreaks, tryed the erica today. Procedure is same as described above. Now watch the result! Guess I have a new favorite
. I guess the trick is the combination of natural and artificial items? The Heki in my opinion does a great job!?

#22 ·
Hi Graham, breaking is not so a big proplem, I think. I avoid to plant in "flyingareas" and if necessary put some mecanicaly-breaking-item in front (wall, fence, stone, bush...). Erica, Fat hen and blueberry stay relatively elastic anyway, more problematic are arcacia and other trees. Especially erica seems to be easier pulled out of the ground if not fixed with at least one pound of plaster than beeing broken...I would be very interested in your testing-results. Regards Jens (Kellerkind)

#23 ·
Trees produce very easy!
Hello Jens,

In the past, I've also built a tree with Heki 1671st

I have in the last days times easily and quickly produced a tree that is impressive in my opinion.

On my last walk in the woods I noticed some plants from which one can make a tree.
First I sprayed the dried plant at the crown with clear varnish (resin) and then sprinkled with green turf.
The whole I have a few times until I achieved the desired result.
Here are the results:

right the untreated plant is seen, left, the finished tree

Here is a picture of the bedding material ...

The construction period is approximately 15 - 20 min.

Ifs, like a lot of fun during rebuild

Greetings

Stefan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.