8K views 80 replies 14 participants last post by  SSD slotguy 
#1 ·
What do you think?
Should I buy the 6 car APB?
Buy it.3257.14%
Stick with what I've got.1323.21%
I don't know.1119.64%

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello to all you people who own the new-ish scalextric 6 car advanced power base, especially Mr F.
I was just having a look at the videos that Mr F has been making and its been making me want one of those new APBs but the thing is I already own one of the original 6 car PBs and 2 of the new 4 car PBs so I was wondering if it was still worth buying the new one even though I already own the other 3 and what power cord does it use? Do I already have one that will fit? To be honest I'm not really bothered so much about the cost, I'm sure I can buy more of my cars off the web instead as long as I know it wasn't money wasted. What do you think I should do? Buy it? Stick with what I have? I'm not sure. That's why I ask you.

#3 ·
hi
a view from a very biased pbpro owner.Superb reliability, ample power,bomb proof ssdc platform = maximum fun,just plug and play.

Apb uses the same transformer as your 4 car pb so no worry's there are a few issues with missing laps and in my opinion not enough power to the rails but others will disagree.The ssdc platform when fully developed will no doubt leave the old version for dead.

And still i am sticking with pbpro.

#4 ·
Thanks for the vote and the info on the power cords BigBird, one thing though have you had your PB pro upgraded by those clever people?

#5 ·
hi
yes my v1.5 given the full treatment by those very clever people.When i first went digital and was not a member here i was very downcast as to what digital had to offer,racing solo was ok but as soon as others racers came round power issues quickly take over.You get three cars running and one deslots resulting in a power boost for the remaining cars.

This meant they would then deslot due to the boost,then removed the digital and went back to analouge but this to me is to repetative(boring) sorry analouge fans,so i joined on here and had the full monty done.

One other big + for me as well is pbpro has adjustable voltage with a suitable power supply and is a must for for taming cars with the ff motors.

If there is a new firmware for pbpro? Apb will never enter my house.

#6 ·
As I understand the upgrades, although they are apparently really good, arnt they almost, if not, the same price as the APB?

#7 ·
hi
the upgrades are not apparently good they are the dogs
If you need to see prices you will have to pm either richg or rikorocket.But they are very favourable

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Between an unmodded original 6 car PB (C7030) and the new APB (C7042) there's no contest. Get the C7042.
If you ALREADY had a PB-Pro unit with Simple-H, then I'd tell you to stick with that a while longer, as it's still plenty good, equal to the APB, better in some respects.
If you're asking should you get the APB or mod your C7030, I'll probably still go with the APB. The only reason for that is that future development will focus on that, and unless Andy S is able to give PB-Pro users the SNC mode, it's likely to get left behind, especially once Simple-H comes out for the APB (what's the hold up, guys? ;-)), and they figure out how to make the APB display or the RichG Lap Display work with the APB while also connected to a computer. Maybe a new Lap display will be created instead, I don't know.
So, the future of both is still somewhat unknown, but as the APB is being produced now, and the C7030 is not, it's likely that the APB will have the longer lifetime starting from now.

Oh, and the PSUs you have for your two 4 car bases are exactly what you need for the APB.
Also, PB-Pro is cheaper than an APB, but unless you only ever have two or three cars on the track, you'll want to add the Simple-H upgrade, which brings the total price up to more than the APB, especially since you don't also need to buy PSUs for the APB... and you might need one for a PB-Pro SH.

#9 ·
So you'd go for the APB then Mr F, I thought you would somehow, bye the way your instructional videos are great.

#11 ·
hi
put the price of simple h into the equation for apb and the price swings in favour of pbpro again as you already have the pb for modding,but you then have to factor in a variable power supply.

It really is half a dozen of one and six of the other.I suppose the real answer is to sit it out and wait.

#12 ·
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 9 Nov 2010, 20:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the compliment as well.

Mr F you deserve it man, the effort that must have gone into making them, You should start a thread just for those videos and have them all in one place. You really are a true gent.

#13 ·
You've GOT to buy the new APB. It's a work of flawed genius.
It's re-affirmed my love-hate relationship with Scalextric.
I was running a 4 car pb and was so bored! This is a big jump forward for digital.
Cheers,
Richard

#14 ·
hi
now where your coming from rich,but its a bit unfair to compare a 4 car pb to the apb.

Its a bit like running a ferrari on a 9v battery and shell optimax.

#15 ·
QUOTE (bigbird @ 9 Nov 2010, 21:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>its a bit unfair to compare a 4 car pb to the apb.
I kind of agree there, I have the old 6 car PB as well as the 2 4 car PBs and yes the 4 car versions seem almost prehistoric even compared to the old 6 car PB, but at least with the 4 car power base at least I already have suitable power cords

#16 ·
To get something better than the APB, you would need to take your 6 car PB and give it the full PB-Pro and SH treatment. Then you have all the power and reliability that you would ever need. The problem is that the C7042 is a very close second. It's power is pretty good, reliability isn't proven yet, but the features are in some areas ahead of the PB-Pro SH. There are some issues that need resolving (and they will be) but overall it is very usable and great fun. If you had PB Pro SH, I would say stick with it. If not, go with the APB.

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for the reply awallace and Ichabod, I haven't had my PB upgraded at all, so I would probably be best off going with the APB in your opinions then

#19 ·
From a purely financial standpoint, the APB is the better deal FOR SSD SLOTGUY.
(in US dollars)
APB = $150. That's it. He already has two appropriate power supplies
PB-Pro SH = $200 (upgrade cost), then another $100 for a variable PSU or $50 or so for a fixed at 10 amps = $250-300.
If he didn't already have the C7030, he'd be spending even more for that solution.

#20 ·
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 9 Nov 2010, 21:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>From a purely financial standpoint, the APB is the better deal FOR SSD SLOTGUY.
(in US dollars)
APB = $150. That's it. He already has two appropriate power supplies
PB-Pro SH = $200 (upgrade cost), then another $100 for a variable PSU or $50 or so for a fixed at 10 amps = $250-300.
If he didn't already have the C7030, he'd be spending even more for that solution.
Once again you really are a knowledgeable bloke Mr F, This proves that between upgrading and the new APB, the APB wins in my case but still, does anyone not recommend the APB for any reason?

#22 ·
Just had another quick look on the scalextric website and found that it also comes with a free 1/2 straight, that's a full £3.33 gift that I could cut up and use as a cattle grid like I saw in a previous thread, this may be the thing that sways it for me.

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE (awallace @ 9 Nov 2010, 22:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No, but it does do throttle calibration
and with SSDC it is automatic!
What on earth are you talking about awallace? I don't understand!

Edit: I see now, throotle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.