SlotForum banner

Pioneer Slot Car Video

71K views 456 replies 56 participants last post by  Jiji 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all. I thought I'd post this here. I have spent the last few months putting together a short remake of the Bullitt car chase using stop motion animation and Pioneer's Mustang and Charger slot cars.

As I say, this is a trailer and I intend to recreate the whole damn car chase in the new year.

I'll post a few 'Behind the scenes' images of how I did the trailer and then will hopefully use this thread to post regular updates as the whole film comes together over the next couple of months.

All the buildings, street scenery were scratch built with a couple of small exceptions.

I look forward to peoples comments and I really hope you enjoy the movie.

Oh and don't forget to crank the sound up. That original soundtrack is a treat.

Steve

#2 ·
Excellent trailer Steve..

Look forward to seeing the full chase movie, in the new year..

All the best. Martin De'Ath..

#14 ·
#18 ·
The start of the full movie began yesterday with the ebay purchase of a dozen period vehicles for the background. I shall post if the snow ever allows their arrival.

I'm definitely going to post shots as I begin to piece the whole thing together. I will be filming it scene by scene before then fitting the whole thing to the original soundtrack with some judicious editing on my part.

Anyway, as a few people have asked me how I did the seatbelt doing up, here is the device I used, which reminds me of some hideous Saw-like torture device.

Steve

Then, in the words of Nick Park, you just move it a little and take a picture, move it a little more and etc etc etc ad infinitum.

#20 ·
I think I'm going to need another 3 or 4 sets in total to complete the whole chase, although If I build individual buildings that can be moved around I can probably get away with 3 sets. I already have a hill set to use but will need to build the fuel dump and then blow the whole thing up. Yay!

#24 ·
Thanks Leo. I thought it would be impossible to get as far as I did so I'm determined to finish the whole movie.
And indeed, thank goodness for Jules who kindly supplied me with several Chargers and Mustangs so I could cut them to pieces for those tricky in-car shots.

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE (sig @ 29 Nov 2010, 19:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>oh my good ness, even better, now we can see the background work!....you´re gonna have to give us some more info...why did this all start, you must have done scenery before. is it your job or something....how long does it take to do the sop motion sequences..very ace indeed

Cheers Sig. Coming from you that means a lot. I am following your SciFI thread with great interest and your airfield is joy to behold.

As for the model making, I can honestly say I've never done anything like it before. I bought the Mustang when it first came out and wanted a project. I don't have room for a full size permanent track at the moment so I thought I'd build a small section of a track and base it around Taylor Street in San Fran to pose the car on.

I'm a graphic designer and studio photographer by trade so I did have the equipment to make this film.

The idea of the film came from discussions with Jules who saw my original photo of the Mustang on the section of street.

The stop motion photography is as simple as it sounds really. You just set up the scene, take a pic, move the cars a fraction and the people on the street a fraction less as they move slower and then take another shot and repeat ad infinitum. I threw in a few 'special effects' using talc for tyre burn and there you have it. Simple but incredibly time consuming.

I have to say that I took a lot of the leads for the direction from the original director of the movie so hats off to Peter Yates for that.

The trailer has taught me a lot though so I'm hoping the entire movie will be a smoother and quicker project. The building of the other sets will be the most time consuming. That said, I managed to film the whole thing on one week.

I'll put up a few more pics later.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.