SlotForum banner

Mc Steel Industries

25K views 129 replies 28 participants last post by  Mark0 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

today i bought new land with 2 x 1,2m. This area will be place for my new routed track

The theme is an industrial steel factory, build in 1880 - 1910, with only some details

Most place will be needed for the factory halls and worker housing.

The first wall for one of the halls is nearly sawn. i´ll build most of them in this style. Only the office building will be a little bit different.

Here´s the first photo.

updates follow soon, because it´s cold outside here in Germany

See less See more
#5 ·
YES I`m back

and hope you enjoy my new project. I try to use new technics and create new details. Windows frames will made of cupper and should be soldered and some others

The fassade is sawn.

This is the art i want to create all halls. Most build with bricks, so i have to drill a lot to make it look like.

And here is the fassade.

#6 ·
You have an excellent sense of design, Frank.
I look forward to following this development!

By the way (BTW) have there been any developments on the Course sans Entretien lately?

Cheers!

#9 ·
only a little update,

first 2 walls made in a stone look, the chimney isn´t finished the last stones have to be drilled.

and here are the first details The door in this window was closed long time ago, so they used different stones. I´ll paint them in an other color.

the door frame is borken out and the wall cover ist broken of

sorry for the bad stones on the chimney, i drilled them freehand.

#10 ·
That is one incredible building - I've seen some similar examples on model railroading sites, but they were kits and didn't have the character or detail of your project. The carving is excellent - I assume you're using a Dremel tool?

Also - you mentioned carving freehand. Alternatively, what do you use as a guide...a straight edge of some sort?

#14 ·
Thx for your comments boys,

@

@Jamieg

The walls are made of plywood (4mm) also some wooden strips with different Strength and width, balsa wood for the window roundings,- corraguated cardboard for the roof, cable - wire etc for some details.

And here is my work i did today.
The other two walls are milled and glued together.
The first stone paint is done

here is the result
the color looks like orange but it is red

some other colors follow. and the weathering and only some details

#15 ·
First age is done ( 2 sides)

i´m not sure that it looks like walls in a steel factory. what do you think????

with and without aged.

and here the "finished" stones on the side wall

#16 ·
The colour has possibly come up a little even, but other than that it looks good ol' early industrial red brick.

I guess much would depend on the era it was built as the shape of the building is fairly universal and timeless. But early industrial brick usually had a lot of colour variation through it as the clay wasn't refined well and temperature control and atmosphere in the kilns on firing wasn't particularly even. Usually finish up with lighter patches here and there and some come out almost black where they've been in a reduction pocket in the kiln. Sorry... too much information on bricks.

#18 ·
Thx for the critics

if i understand both of you right, you mean some black, yellow, dark red etc bricks betwin the others would look more realistic?! Am i right???

#19 ·
QUOTE (Frank T @ 3 Dec 2010, 18:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Windows frames will made of cupper and should be soldered and some others

Stop, don't do that! The cupper will soak into the wood and you'll have to start all over again, use copper instead!
Seriously though, it looks great so far, cant wait to see it when it's finished.

#20 ·
Yes Frank. Just a bit more than one colour in your base layer. Maybe a touch of yellow ochre or gold oxide. Looks like you base is red oxide so maybe some burnt sienna as well. And even a touch of blue. You don't need distinct transitions in the under colour, just a mish mash blend. I think it would make the brick wall come alive.

I expect you plan some dry brushing over the top of what you have done. Don't forget a tiny bit of sulphur yellow here and there. It's industry after all.

I possibly go a bit over the top on colour for most folks. But the unexpected colours are there in the real thing when you look hard enough. And I very rarely use black. Certainly not straight black. Its usually either very dark blue, green, purple or brown.

#21 ·
Hi Embs,

thanks for explaining. i´ll try it at the next halls. But my color isn´t only black. there is also some brown, white and green in it. maybe that it looks like black, because its not real dry. This one i have extrem aged because its the hall with the melting furnace in. And there is a lot of black soot. Therefor i made it very dark above the windows.

Maybe it looks better when the other colors are painted and all details are installed

@slotguy

uupps sorry, i mean copper

#22 ·
It's definitely going to be a knockout when finished Frank. The whole project will be, having seen what you've done before.

Sorry, like I said, I go a little over the top when it comes to colour theory.

Watching with extreme interest.

Cheers
Embs

#23 ·
QUOTE (Ember @ 6 Dec 2010, 23:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry, like I said, I go a little over the top when it comes to colour theory.

Cheers
Embs
Something I cant do! What is this burnt sienna you speak of?

#25 ·
You are trying to baffle me with your decorative knowledge, This is something I will probably never understand fully, I only fond out what beige was a month ago!

#26 ·
Hi sirs,

today i only have a little update what i made at this weekend. This is the hall for the blast furnace. Most wood work is done only some more details inside. Some tubes for air and smoke and whatever a blast furnace needs. a stair on the left side some steelfencing on the first floor and a machine shed on the end of the iron ore elevator.
Here are some pics

The first 2 halls

@Embs

I ve asked a man how works in an industrial museum near by. He told me that most of the industrial buildings were painted in red, so my color isn´t so far away from the original

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.