SlotForum banner

Mercedes SSKL

8K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  aerodynamic 
#1 ·
Hi everboby,

here´s my next project.

Do not want to use a scratched or bought chassis. Try to use obly the kit. Made the most important points a bit stronger with 2x2mm U profiled brass and fixed it with Stabilit. Works good so far onlx a little bit slowly,-
do someone know where to get a powerful slimeline motor? Can´t use a bigger one, there is only very little space.
Wheels are 20" Penelope Pitl. Vintage. And they full fill the fenders very well.
Will built a race version so i make two grills,-
The body grille will be painted in body color and the protection one in chrome.
Here is my daily work.

All real openings are opened with a handdrill 0,5 - 2,5mm

See less See more
#5 ·
Thx Madame and boys,

@Recklessracer
37000 rpm?
I want to built a pre wars one - not a dragster

@Embs
not sure but i think penelope pitlane uses scaley motors, and that is a pp one. But the acceleration - in this early stadium your faster by feet on 1 km.

#6 ·
Nice project Frank
. The Mercedes SSLK is also high on my to make list, nice historical mach for the Bentley Blower. What brand of plastic kit are you working with?
I really going to enjoy your project, keep up the good work.
Cheers,
Danny

#7 ·
Because of the higher gearing effect of the large wheels, isn't it just better to use a larger contrate, e.g. a Slot.it 30 tooth or something with more teeth if you can find it? Pendle's site lists the various pinion/contrate ratios as does one of the German sites: the higher the better for cars of this era.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi everyone,

@all
decide to let this motor perform in the car

@nuvolare
it´s the matchbox kit

some work done on my sskl, had a look at the plan on Mark gussin´s site and saw that there are much more openings in the chassis,- so i opened them.

the fenders are fixed (0,5-0,8mm diameter brass) but mustbe bent in the endpositions. Some more sanding and i can spray the fist primer.

here´s the result

#11 ·
Hi priamorex,

THX for your linky. Now i know how to fix the guide well. Your sskl´s look fantastic, tried to find some slotcar builds in the web, but do not find only one-

Thank you

#12 ·
Hi Frank,
It's very interesting to see priamorex pictures on the model. This model made me curious if the Le Mans versions did have wheel fenders or not? And I've got a strong feeling they didn't, just to lose weight for more speed.
Do you have an idea on this matter, or anybody else

I got the "life like hobby kids" model waiting for assembly and it got a fender that is one piece from front to rear. So I assume that these versions where for public sale.

cheers,
Danny

#13 ·
In the version of Grand Prix had no lights or fenders or luggage for at least the tools of the Grand Prix in Monaco and Alemania.
I have no documentation of France, but in endurance racing Mille Miglia type if used.
Sorry my English but I use the Google translator.
Greetings
Daniel

#15 ·
THX boys,

@Nuvolare
if you have the version with fenders from front to the back your kit is a SSK - and yes your right that´s the street version

BTW, the first paintjob is f'´""ng ****e on the right side , so i have to sand it again and try it once more. Lots of airbubbles and i do not have any idea what happend.
body washed and dried well - color spray shaked for aprox. 5min or more and warmed on 45°C

#17 ·
little update today

body color is made and the decals are fixed, first photoetched pieces for the bonnet are installed. Wheels and inlets are ready for race.
tomorrow the final semi gloss top coat will finish the most work on this car, that will be one of my entries for the MMM.

#21 ·
Here´s an other little update.

a lot of work is to do, but so it looks today.
Guide is fixed.
weathering is done.
lamps and glas protectors are installed.
Steering wheel got it´s final position

Tool box and oil can is in work

#24 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.