> HO Versus 1/43?
Guam Slot Racer
post 8 Jul 2011, 02:39
Post #1

Learner Driver

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,245

Hafa Adai Slot Friends!

I have a question that has bugged me for quite a while now. I've been racing 1/32 for a few years, and really love it. I'm also venturing out into HO, and have been enjoying it. I've done a bit of research on 1/43 also, but not done any racing yet.

The Question: It seems that HO and 1/43 are closely related, but HO is about an inch or so smaller. Why does one prefer HO over 1/43. I've gathered that HO is more popular than 1/43, but why?

Maybe someone can list pros and cons for both.

Thanks!

Rob
Go to the top of the page

+
John Cahill
post 8 Jul 2011, 08:37
Post #2

Team Owner

Member No.: 1,168

from the little I've seen of both...one obvious set of distinctions is that there are many more HO cars available...both chassis styles and bodies, yet the 1/43 seem to be a newer design with guide flags and motor arrangement more like 1/32.

I've had a lot of HO cars off and on, and only tried a few of the Carrera Go 1/43 recently...so don't really know that much. I'm sure you'll get more in depth responses shortly...

John

+
Julian_Boolean
post 8 Jul 2011, 09:44
Post #3

Slot Guru

Member No.: 10,466

1:43 cars are more like small 1:32 cars than big 1:64 cars, but I would say the main reason for 1:43 unpopularity is that most people's experience of 1:43 is the Artin sets, and the cars in these are pretty poor.

--------------------
Playing with toy cars

+
zarko
post 8 Jul 2011, 12:35
Post #4

Team Owner
Group Icon

Group: PLUS+
Member No.: 10,970

It was not until recently that I had a chance to see 1/43 scale cars in action and I was very impressed. But, when I looked up the prices, unfortunately it put me off straight away.

--------------------

+
Lloyd.L
post 8 Jul 2011, 21:10
Post #5

Trackhead
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,264

As someone who is wholly committed to bulding in 1/43, one of a small handful in the Uk, I can see one major distinction between the scales. Whereas both HO and 1/43 make for good home racing, there is very little 1/43 club racing anywhere that I am aware of, as opposed to a thriving HO club scene here in the UK and around the world.

For me, the advantage of 1/43 is that it is a modellers scale, with an almost unlimited supply of diecast models and kits to make resin shells from. It will be interesting to see what difference the forthcoming Kyosho cars will make, but in the short term it depends what you want from the hobby. A 1/43 club scene may happen, but dont hold your breath.

There are a number of 1/43 based forums on line and I have made a lot of good friends all around the world because of my interest in this scale, so it works for me and what else could you want from a hobby?

Regards, Lloyd

+
scuderia_turini
post 8 Jul 2011, 21:25
Post #6

*** Leo A Capaldi ***

Member No.: 16,286

I have discussed this with Lloyd before and I think that 1:43 is a great scale for slot cars but like a lot of people on the forum, I already have a large collection in 1:32 so "down-sizing" is not economic.
Starting out from scratch I would definitely go for 1:43, the cars are good models these days and you can get more track distance in a space when compared to 1:43
In general terms of scenery and such, there is lots more in 1:43 than 1:32 but HO just seems too small and lacking in detail so has no attraction to me personally.

Kind regards, Leo

+
Guam Slot Racer
post 11 Jul 2011, 00:51
Post #7

Learner Driver

Thanks for all the replies! Lots of good info to consider. I do like the 1/43 concept, but as several of you mentioned, it hasn't really hit the streets yet, and selections are limited. I've had to put my 1/32 racing on hold, since my power base went out, so last night I set up my AFX track, and at first everything seemed so small, and unrealish, but after several laps, and getting used to the whole thing, it was a blast even without all the 1/32 digital bells and whistles. I think I'll stick with both 1/32 and HO for now. Thanks for the help in making this decision!

rob

+
UshCha
post 11 Jul 2011, 09:28
Post #8

Trackhead

Member No.: 16,116

Still not cpmmitted too much to 1/32 so I could cchange. So the issue is, can the cars run no mag and still drive much like 1/32. Personnally HO has no appeal its "too Fast", mag driving and too small. Not an insult just a personal view. The gain for 1/43 would be say the ability to drive on scaley track without needing huge numbers of borders. So the question is can I chip any of them for SSD? What are they like on corners non mag and no borders or barriers? The LMP's at Gaydon looked great, but with mags there was no way to assess if they were able to perform in the way I would need them too.

--------------------
57 yr old Newbie
SSD Rug Racer
Derby UK

+
bswan72
post 11 Jul 2011, 13:47
Post #9

Trackhead
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,796

Personnally HO has no appeal its "too Fast", mag driving and too small.

You can get HO slot cars like the Auto World Thunderjet and X-Traction slot cars which don't have extra traction magnets (less stuck down). These HO slot cars are are a lot of fun to drive and run at more realistic speeds.

Best regards,
Brian

+
slowracer
post 11 Jul 2011, 15:24
Post #10

Anthony Stacey

Member No.: 10,564

As an ex 1/32 racer and collector and now ho racer I can and have seen both sides, 1/43 to me seems an attempt to get the best of both worlds with small scale and detail, for preference I would say stay with the HO, and not for the 1/43, as has been said on here that it is not too well catered for.

Whereas, HO can be high downforce magnet, low downforce magnet and no magnet and almost any body style you could want, the choice can be yours.

As SCHORC is an HO Magnet club, we rarely use non mag cars, but we have an event in August for just those (see the SCHORC thread for SCHORC/ECHO pancake cup), the interest in non mag HO (an old school concept) is growing.

--------------------
Tony

AVHORA

Next meeting: October 12th, Championship round 3

+
Julian_Boolean
post 11 Jul 2011, 15:27
Post #11

Slot Guru

Member No.: 10,466

We're running an HO meeting for the cars without traction magnets in August near Cambridge, do a search on Pancake Cup, if you are interested in having a go with these sort of cars.

--------------------
Playing with toy cars

+
masmojo
post 11 Jul 2011, 22:17
Post #12

Team Owner

Member No.: 528

The major problem with 1/43 right now is the reluctance of people to jump in OR to stay with it once they do! It really is the best scale for building realistic tracks! The SCX cars (if you can find'em) run very well no mag and most of the rest can be modified with a turning guide (instead of a pin guide) to run well no mag.

There really is nothing holding up 1/32 guys from buying 1/43 cars as they will usually run fine on most 1/32 tracks. The reason HO is so prevelent is that after the great bust of large scale cars here in the US, that was pretty much all that was left here in the US for many years until Fly showed up and the 1/32 market took off! HO guys, who want a little larger cars that handle like the larger 1/32 or 1/24 cars are gradually moving to 1/43. The biggest hold up right now is that most of the biggies do not want to bring out quality 1/43 cars for fear it will kill their 1/32 sales; we will have to see if Kyosho can shake them out of their complacency! tongue.gif

--------------------

Blast O Racing By Masmojo

+
UshCha
post 12 Jul 2011, 08:03
Post #13

Trackhead

Member No.: 16,116

Has anybody chipped a 1/43 with Scaley chips?

--------------------
57 yr old Newbie
SSD Rug Racer
Derby UK

+
1 32 slotter
post 12 Jul 2011, 09:04
Post #14

Joel LeNoir
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,201

Hello..........I am building a 1/43 routed track that will be powered by a scalextric advanced 6 car power base. So yes it is possible. The larger chips will fit into 1/43 DTM's. Even with a full interior. Most other cars require the F1 chip.

No pics yet. But soon.

Joel

+
Guam Slot Racer
post 14 Jul 2011, 23:33
Post #15

Learner Driver

Wow! Keep me posted on this. I'd love to see the photos. Very cool idea

+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 07:18
© SlotForum Copyright Notice - Please Read / © Aviso de copyright SlotForum - Léanlo, por favor / © A proposito del Copyright del contenuto di Slotforum - Per favore leggere attentamente