> © COPYRIGHT ©
Doug
post 6 Feb 2012, 12:59
Post #1

DT

Group: Members
Member No.: 2

Perhaps you may have noticed the line a the top and at the bottom of the forum:

© SlotForum Copyright Notice - Please Read / © Aviso de copyright SlotForum - Léanlo, por favor / © A proposito del Copyright del contenuto di Slotforum - Per favore leggere attentamente

I am wondering if it needs to be made bigger?

Do people realise what it means?

You cannot copy images from SlotForum without permission. If you want to use photos, please contact me or another of the moderators first.

It costs a considerable amount to send off people to foreign trade fairs in transport, accommodation, time and effort. To see the fruit of the labour casually copied by people who are too lazy to get off their backsides and go to the fair themselves is highly irritating.

We will be instructing our lawyers to contact any site who uses our images without permission. We will then seek damages and costs. That I can initiate with ease so it will be done.

If you see any site using our photos, please let me know. We know of about 5 sites to date using our photos as our photo searching tools seem to do a good job. In a week or two, the copyright notice at the top will be taken off and the one at the bottom left in place.
Go to the top of the page

+
300SLR
post 6 Feb 2012, 13:52
Post #2

Team Owner

Member No.: 8,360

What is the position when somebody posts an image on Slot Forum from another site. (Which they frequently do)
Does the copyright remains with the original copyright owner (and does not transfer to Slot Forum.)

+
montoya1
post 6 Feb 2012, 15:10
Post #3

Deane Walpole (eahorc.com)

Member No.: 1,702

Is the fair open to the public?

Do SF pay all the costs for those who attend and post in the 'official' threads on here?

--------------------

+
JEXY1
post 6 Feb 2012, 16:21
Post #4

Gareth Jex
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 95

The fair is a trade only event - you have to register in advance or on the day and for a press pass (to take pics) you have to register as a member of the press with accreditation.

I went last year (2011) but did not receive any payments or expenses - i didn't ask for any.

"What is the position when somebody posts an image on Slot Forum from another site. (Which they frequently do)
Does the copyright remains with the original copyright owner (and does not transfer to Slot Forum.)"

In short yes. The copyright is one issue - i.e. when i take a pic and post it on SF i still own the coyright - not SF. If someone copies it from SF without my persmission then they are in breach of copyright. In addition to copyright issues we also encounter some web sites hot linking to SF. When this happens not only are they breaking copyright but they are also using our bandwidth. If you are in any doubt then don't post the image - put a link to where it is on the web.

Think of it in the same way as scanning in a book and putting it on-line - i.e. not allowed.

I know where Doug is coming from with this, we had the same thing last year. Slotforum arranges or pays for people to travel to the show, spend a long time editing and taking photos for SF members and then other forums (who don't go) steal our photos and use them without credit or permission. We have even had cases of retail outlets using our pictures as their own. We don't like to place copyright text through the image because it ruins the photo.

When you joined SF you agreed to the rules; http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?act=boardrules

The fourth rule;
You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by SlotForum or unless you have obtained written permission to use the copyrighted material by the rightful owner.

--------------------

+
montoya1
post 6 Feb 2012, 16:24
Post #5

Deane Walpole (eahorc.com)

Member No.: 1,702

Ah, that is much clearer Gareth, the OP sounded like a beef with individual SF users.

Images are always a tricky thing, restrict their movement too much you hold back the hobby, too little and people take the urine.

--------------------

+
Doug
post 6 Feb 2012, 17:35
Post #6

DT

Copyright is not that tricky. Just have to think before you copy something from another site. If it is for you personal use then there is not much harm, but if you publish it elsewhere (another forum or blog) then it does become an issue.

If you can't publish your own content, then you generally need to seek permission to use someone else's content - especially if there is a clear copyright message on the page where you got it or even on the image itself.

board.slotportugal.com has been cutting the copyright text off some of our photos and publishing them without giving credit so they will be getting one of our lawyer's letters. Other sites have copied the images and some just hot-link to the images on our site so they are effectively stealing our bandwidth too.

+
superhornets
post 6 Feb 2012, 19:37
Post #7

Tony Condon
Group Icon

Group: PLUS+
Member No.: 4,167

Hi Doug and co
Copy right is a murky area as I know from writing my book
However lots of folk ,myself included post exerts from old magazines ,books ,plans etc on the forum using material that almost certainly they do not have the copyright for.
How does SF feel about that? .
Just because the articles are displayed on Sf does not make them the copyright of slot forum

Cheers tony

--------------------
"The Older I Get The Faster I Was"

"The History of Electric Model Car Racing in Britain" due for publishing in October 2008 ,price £19.99

+
Doug
post 6 Feb 2012, 19:54
Post #8

DT

QUOTE (superhornets @ 6 Feb 2012, 20:37) *
Hi Doug and co
Copy right is a murky area as I know from writing my book
However lots of folk ,myself included post exerts from old magazines ,books ,plans etc on the forum using material that almost certainly they do not have the copyright for.
How does SF feel about that? .
Just because the articles are displayed on Sf does not make them the copyright of slot forum

Cheers tony

We don't say that whatever is posted is the copyright of the forum.

We say that whatever posted is the copyright of the poster unless otherwise indicated (or not) - if that makes sense.

SlotForum has plenty of copyrighted material itself - ToyFair images, some review and resource images etc. These are the property of the forum. They are shown in the public domain, but it does not give another the right to republish it without permission.

Most of the time when someone asks for permission I give it along with a few very reasonable conditions (no cropping, credit for the photo, link-back to the original article and no bandwidth stealing).

We ask in the rules for members not to post content that they do not have the right to post/publish. If a member does not comply with that that is their problem. If the forum gets a legal request one day to be put into contact with someone who posts copyrighted material then it will be the forum's obligation to pass on details of the member. That has never happened in our history and I hope that it never will.

+
MAF
post 7 Feb 2012, 12:52
Post #9

Team Owner
Group Icon

Member No.: 487

QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 7 Feb 2012, 12:27) *
Publishing does automatically bestow copyright - obviously only if the work is original and not breaching a pre-existing copyright!

I said this is a grey area that earns lawyers a tidy income!!!

Yes and that was my point really, I don't think the forum is run to generate any great profit so doubt the resources are there to persue the people stealing the copyright. Let's face it, the ones who are doing it, know they are and I don't think a warning will put them off, safe in the knowledge it would be a costly exercise to do so.

--------------------
Cheers, Marlon

+
Doug
post 7 Feb 2012, 13:25
Post #10

DT

Well, I must state that there are resources to cover legal advice and service.

If people take a casual attitude to blatantly copying photos from SlotForum for their own sites, then they will hear from our lawyers. We have spent money and taken time to bring these images to our members and visitors, to have others just copy them without even asking is infuriating.

I have been asked by a couple of sites if they may use some of our images and every time I have said yes as long as credit and a link-back is given. We are willing to share, but under the right circumstances.

+
Graham Lane
post 7 Feb 2012, 17:43
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 6,652

Just out of personal interest I visited the Italiaslot website, which I regularly do as a member. There is a Toy Fair report there with loads of photos, including one with Doug in it, and they have the slotforum copyright across the bottom. Now, this puzzles me as there is often a feed from Italiaslot to SFI so the relationship must be pretty good, so I guess they have permission to use the photos?

+
Doug
post 7 Feb 2012, 18:18
Post #12

DT

Italiaslot in Italy and Foroslot in Spain have permission to use our RSS Feeds and publish them. They won't have all our photos though, just what appears in the News section.

Italiaslot asked us at the show to use the photo of us presenting the awards to Slot.it. Permission was given.

+
dangermouse
post 7 Feb 2012, 21:53
Post #13

Trackhead
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,039

Not wanting to divert from the original intent but I do think this is related. When you place the img tag into a message -I thought the image was being displayed from the original source on the forum page (hence broken links in older messages) rather than being copied to the slot forum servers. Wasn't that the point of Doug's comment that people hotlinking to SF images - SF is serving them and incurring the bandwidth charge.

Not that it is right to do this but technically then are you copying the image or simply referencing it at the source by using the IMG tag? Now I understand that in order to view it a copy has to be made to your computer - but by posting it on a forum or blog and tagging it am I copying the image or posting a reference to where it can be viewed?

DM

--------------------
Redisovering slotcars

+
Doug
post 7 Feb 2012, 22:19
Post #14

DT

I would say that if you publish an image on a site, no matter where the image is located, and if the image does not belong to you or if you do not have permission to use it, then you are in breach of copyright.

The physical location of where the image is hosted is not important.

I have hidden a number of posts in this topic as they were just going off track. You are welcome to have an argument elsewhere, but not here on this topic please. I really don't wish to lock this so please just drop the argument.

+
BBChunks
post 20 Sep 2013, 12:20
Post #15

Tea Boy

Member No.: 24,164

Are you not able to stop the image being copied by configuring the forum software?

In alot of cases you can stop people right clicking and saving. This obviously doesn't stop people screen capturing but does make it a little more difficult.

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2014 - 18:35
© SlotForum Copyright Notice - Please Read / © Aviso de copyright SlotForum - Léanlo, por favor / © A proposito del Copyright del contenuto di Slotforum - Per favore leggere attentamente