Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's that stuff called for cleaning tracks, please?
f1rem0uth
post 3 Mar 2012, 06:02
Post #1

Racer Dude

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,743

Can someone please tell me what that stuff is called in the white can that slotcarists use to clean the track, its driving me brain nuts trying to think of it? grump.gif
first person to get the answer wins an imaginary pint of beer and a gold medal!.

cheers.gif
Go to the top of the page

+
X-Speed Racing
post 3 Mar 2012, 07:04
Post #2

Learner Driver

Member No.: 13,356

Inox ???

--------------------
Best regards
Bo Frederiksen

“When you’re racing, it… it’s life. Anything that happens before or after… is just waiting.”
Porsche fanatic ;-)
Visit My Website

+
Ember
post 3 Mar 2012, 07:27
Post #3

One petunia in a field of onions

Member No.: 12,718

Elbow grease? tongue.gif

Cleaning track or rails?

--------------------
Anorak. Not just a fashion statement. It's a state of mind

TINY TYERS TARGA: The saga continuesAn old shed for my new cars: An old wooden garage under construction

+
ss67
post 3 Mar 2012, 08:11
Post #4

Trackhead
Group Icon

Group: PLUS+
Member No.: 14,903

Inox MX3 for the rails.

Plebys for the plastic track.

--------------------
Regards.

Simon

+
stoner
post 3 Mar 2012, 08:15
Post #5

Sir Slotalot

Member No.: 16,290

if its bad. use a fine grade imregnated rubber bock. then use inox or my cheap inox that i make my self. its been on an earlier forum, but if you missed it i,ll post details. john.

+
f1rem0uth
post 17 Mar 2012, 22:54
Post #6

Racer Dude

QUOTE (X-Speed Racing @ 3 Mar 2012, 07:04) *
Inox ???

Congratulations you are correct of course!, I thought that was what it was called but when I searched for it on eBay - nothing came up, I guess no one had any for sale!, but then I was also thinking Inox was to do with steel washers too that I recently purchased!, so I was was unsure what it was really called.

Thanks for reminding me with the right name, cheers.gif Now where did I put that Golden medal.....

+
f1rem0uth
post 17 Mar 2012, 22:56
Post #7

Racer Dude

QUOTE (Ember @ 3 Mar 2012, 07:27) *
Elbow grease? tongue.gif

Cleaning track or rails?

Yeh sorry I meant the rails smile.gif

+
Screwneck
post 18 Mar 2012, 08:46
Post #8

Nobby Berkshire

Member No.: 469

Ah, it's the myth of Inox again! I wonder how many people have actually tried this stuff. It's nothing special at all in terms of what it does to improve slotcar racing.

Inox does not clean rails. It's a liquid lubricant that is simply an effective slippery clear liquid. If you want to clean track that has tarnished then this will do absolutely nothing.

If your track is simply greasy and dirty then wipe the rails with cigarette lighter fuel and then apply a coat of Inox to keep it clean for a bit longer than usual protectants like WD40. The nice thing about Inox is that it does not attract dirt like other lubricants. Beyond this, Inox does nothing else and can interfere with electrical flow as it is non-conductive.

+
Ember
post 18 Mar 2012, 08:49
Post #9

Each to their own Screwneck. Works for me. And has for the last 2 years. But I've never claimed that it was a cleaner. It is a dressing and protectant. Will protect from oxidation and moisture.

--------------------

TINY TYERS TARGA: The saga continuesAn old shed for my new cars: An old wooden garage under construction

+
loosesalute
post 18 Mar 2012, 09:27
Post #10

Slot God
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,809

Exactly Ember. Never used Inox, but it does get rave reviews.
I`ve always just used an oily rag.But I`m stuck in a time warp! tongue.gif
Cheers
Kev

--------------------
Please feel free to visit my Jouef website;

www.jouefslotcars.freeforums.org

+
Ember
post 18 Mar 2012, 09:53
Post #11

There have been a few things invented since the 60s Kev. Including, apparently, digital slot cars and magnets. wink.gif

--------------------

+
loosesalute
post 18 Mar 2012, 11:38
Post #12

Slot God
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,809

Get away...you`ll be telling me next there`s colour tv`s! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Please feel free to visit my Jouef website;

www.jouefslotcars.freeforums.org

+
slotcarscrapyard
post 18 Mar 2012, 13:10
Post #13

Trackhead
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,352

TV's? whats that, is it like a wireless?

(posted from Hastings - home of John Logie Baird)

--------------------
Slot car scrap yard
Does your car carry a doner card?

+
MrFlippant
post 19 Mar 2012, 19:25
Post #14

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member No.: 11,397

Non-conductive is technically accurate. While you might not notice a huge improvement for analog racing after cleaning/treating with INOX, the difference for digital racing is remarkable, and definitely not placebo or the same as other solutions. Clearly, it does help conduction between the rails and the braid, as the digital signal is cleaner and stronger when the rails are treated with INOX. Looking back, I wish I had video of when I first used it, as that would have reduced the debate significantly. Unfortunately, I do not, and my track has never performed as badly as it did when it was "clean" without INOX.

The stuff gets rave reviews because it IS effective and DOES improve performance, especially for digital. Why it helps is to do with metallurgy and chemistry, which is hard for me to understand and even harder for me to explain. Sometimes, though, words are not enough, and one must simply see the effects to admit that it helps. Hopefully those who have not even tried it will at least admit the possibility that so many people are not imagining things, and maybe try it for themselves some day.

Those who are interested, who have not already read it, might consider reading my original post describing what happened when I tried INOX for the first time. This was AFTER I posted about using other cleaners to get clean rails, which I was told time and again was the best way to get good performance. INOX is NOT my idea, by the way, even though I've become "the guy who always raves about INOX" on here and elsewhere. The original idea, I believe, was via BillyCart. Ember also used and recommended it. I wished I had taken their suggestions earlier than I did, but it's been great slotting since then anyway. smile.gif Here's the link to my post... if you've read this far, why not a little more? And for even more fun, check out all the disbelievers and converts that follow in that thread after my post:
http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=525891

--------------------

Slot Car Wiki ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Rainier Raceways ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ DRAWW ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Live Chat

+
Barnesboy
post 18 Jun 2012, 14:15
Post #15

Member No.: 15,985

F1rem0uth at post #6, Inox IS also related to steel items sometimes. 'Inoxydable' is french for Stainless or 'rustless', so 'inox' is sometimes stamped on stainless steel items made in a French-speaking country or for a French-speaking market,

cheers, David

+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 23:52
© SlotForum Copyright Notice - Please Read / © Aviso de copyright SlotForum - Léanlo, por favor / © A proposito del Copyright del contenuto di Slotforum - Per favore leggere attentamente