SlotForum banner

Display-Pro. VGA for C7042

32K views 448 replies 24 participants last post by  davekp 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Had a successful test over Easter with Display-Pro. A RichG Wireless Throttle & a Scorpius Throttle connected. A couple of problems found with Lap Timing but otherwise problem free. See this thread for the story so far.

So…. Today I have sent out 3 Alpha trial units. This thread for feedback, comments, problems and hopefully solutions. Questions & suggestions for changes or additional functionality from the alpha trialers and anyone else that wants to follow and contribute.

Rich

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow ....... the Alpha kit comes with wireless controllers as well or are they just for show??

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
The RichG throttle is an experimental one off at the moment, but was working well. Scorpius throttle also worked very well, and the code is in the alpha to support them. Main unknown is if the system will support using the Scorpius protocol 6 simultaneously. I am using the same system as SSDC to support Scorpius throttles, but I do not think that has been tried with 6 throttles? If multiple Scorpius Throttles work with SSDC they should work with Display-Pro.

Rich

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE (GregK @ 12 Apr 2012, 19:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wow ....... the Alpha kit comes with wireless controllers as well or are they just for show??
QUOTE (RichG @ 12 Apr 2012, 19:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The RichG throttle is an experimental one off at the moment,
Aw, shucks ... but Christmas is a way off yet Greg.

I'm more hoping the car reflected in the screen is included - I don't think it's the GTR though

#6 ·
OK ........ Alpha 2 has safely landed ......

Sadly, I have some work to clear before I can start testing, but hope to have a go this afternoon.

There is one antenna ............ am I correct in assuming that this is the 0dBi one?

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
There should have been 2, if not it's a packing error by me. If it's loose & not in a plastic bag then it's the 0dbi one. If one is missing I will send one over but will delay a couple of Days & also include a cable to connect the Lap Display, as I have started working on that. Times are displaying wrongly but comms are working

(Greg Have a double check in the packaging, as adding up what I have here the right number have gone out)

Rich

#8 ·
Spot on Rich ......... I had got it caught up in the bubble-wrap, everything on the included parts list is present

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
OK here's the first report ........
It's a nice compact box and everything you need is there. With everything connected and with Rich's dire warning I connected everything and Fired up the Quattro, it took about 15 seconds for the screen to appear. I found it hard going at first because I was trying to keep the car on the track and monitor the VGA display. After 15-20 minutes I settled in and started to feel comfortable about using it as I gained familiarity.

The display is fantastic, I am using a 17" LCD and it is crisp and very clear. The opening screen is primarily for debugging and I found it confusing especially the hint for the wi-fi fob as you can not return to this screen. The impression I got was that pressing the ▲ would take me back but it didn't. Next I decided to try the ID'ing feature but could not get it to work at all. I resorted to using the buttons on the APB and then it worked easily and efficiently. I tried the more powerful antenna but that made no difference. It wasn't until I used the fob right up against the black box did it start to work reliably. After that, I could ID using the fob without any grief.

At present you can choose either of two modes; Free Practice mode by pressing ◄ or Race mode by pressing ►.
Free practice is great, crossing the start line produces a coloured box for your data. The fasted lap is always displayed at the top against a white background and your previous laps scroll through. To reset the boxes press ◄ again and it all starts again. Nice and simple and no big dramas.

Race mode will need a little bit more bashing as it really needs a couple of racers. Again this worked quite effortlessly; the Race length defaults to 10 laps. The key fob or APB can change the laps by pressing the ◄ ► keys and one of the three lap digits goes red ▼ and ▲ decrease or increase the value. You can change any of the digits in this manner to set up to 999 laps. Bring your cars around to the start and there 5 red blobs at the top of the screen that counts down with an unobtrusive beep when you press either Start or the centre button on the fob. Pressing it again starts a track call and all power is cut. Press the button again to initiate another countdown of the now yellow blobs and when the it's complete, the power is restored and off you go again.
To reset the Race press ► again and it all starts again - nice and simple.

I did find a few minor glitches but that is for another post.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I spose looking on the bright side, it did sort of work.

Not sure why the Fob has no range? I have had the odd problem with it not picking up the first press, but range wise usually 10 to 15 Meters.

The debug screen is only accessible at first switch on, as in the long run it will not be there. Could change things to make it selectable at run time?

I have left some glitches for you to find.

Rich

#12 ·
Once the fob was introduced to the Display-Pro they appeared to chat away to each quite happily. I guess it's a bit like using a wireless keyboard and mouse on your PC or using Throttle-Pro to let the system know what it should be talking to.

It would be nice to have an indicator to let you know that comms between the box and fob are working or not ...... a little LED might be cool. I did notice a green glow inside the box and thought ........ fibre-optics.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE (GregK @ 13 Apr 2012, 19:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The opening screen is primarily for debugging and I found it confusing especially the hint for the wi-fi fob as you can not return to this screen. The impression I got was that pressing the ▲ would take me back but it didn't. Next I decided to try the ID'ing feature but could not get it to work at all. I resorted to using the buttons on the APB and then it worked easily and efficiently. I tried the more powerful antenna but that made no difference. It wasn't until I used the fob right up against the black box did it start to work reliably. After that, I could ID using the fob without any grief.
Thanks for the quick feedback - you won. There'll be nothing left for me to do when I get mine .... except revel in the pleasure of a backlit screen! Did you try mode 1?

I've no idea how the wireless works but could the keyfob range be anything to do with interference from something like your internet Wi-Fi for example or the radiation from your monitor or the battery .... or do you live near Glastonbury?

Cheers
Chris

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Can I stop now, please ........ I'm feeling somewhat dizzy .... round and around ....

OK here are some unusual features ..... on a very simple track with one XLC.
Free Practice Mode:
The screen display does not always show timing to 3 decimal places - occasionally you get 2.60 then 2.750.

Changing lanes can cause missed laps - start in the outside lane do about 4/5 laps change to inner track, first 2 get counted the next one doesn't. It sometimes does the same thing in reverse direction but not as consistently as going from out to in.

Lap times can be bordering on insane - stop a car after a random number of laps and leave it alone for 5 minutes or so. I have had lap times reported as 1:12:40

Lap times - I'm not entirely convinced that the timing is consistent at times. Gut feeling at the moment

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Greg

Thanks for the findings. Yes 2 Dp I have seen, I think it is missing a 0 after the DP.

Changing lanes and missing times I find very odd as the data coming from the Powerbase does not know anything about Lanes?? However just the sort of thing I may have missed with most of the testing being on the bench. Am just struggeling in my mind how this is possible?? Do you ever see this with SSDC?

Stopping for 5 minutes and only showing 1 minute again obviously wrong, have not seen this but will investigate Tomorrow. Was this a one off or something you saw more than once?

Rich

#16 ·
Hi Rich,
I can't honestly say as it was something that I have not looked for. I never use such a small track normally and often use upwards of 9/10 XLCs so there is usually so much going on with 5 other throttle-jockeys.

This happened more than once ....... I though the time displayed meant 1 hour, 12 minutes and 40 secs as it was separated by colons which made it stand out on the display.

Will hooking-up the APB's LCD screen provide any better insight on the timings or will it just reflect what is coming out of the Display-Pro? Mind you, there was always going to be features on the early test releases but the overall feel of the display is quite stunning and the ID'ing is so quick and simple.

#17 ·
Practice does not show Hours, just Seconds or Minutes & Seconds, limited to a max of 8 characters including Colon & DP. So 1:12.40 would be 1 Minute, 12.40 Seconds. Can you confirm that you have 2 Colons as opposed to a Colon & a DP because looking at the code 2 Colons should not be possible?

Race at the moment just shows Seconds, no Minutes, probably should make them both the same, although in practice a bit academic as who has a minute plus lap.

I have found the 2DP problem, so will check that out Tomorrow and email a new Binary with that and a couple of other small problems fixed.

The APB LCD will not help as it's a completely different segment of code, with no maths or inteligence, all I do is replicate the segment data going to the LCD.

I will temporarily add a beep when a lap is recorded which might make it easier to detect a missed lap?

Rich

#18 ·
I'll check my colons again ....... the beep sounds like a cunning plan that will stop my eyes from too much swivelling

Going to watch the GP practice and will probably enjoy a nice drop of red ............

Greg

#19 ·
Thanks Greg

Still can't work out in my mind how I can miss laps after Lane changing, but I am constantly suprised at what can happen when the code is wrong.

Have made the changes, will test Tomorrow and mail over the new Binary, we need to check that updating the Firmware works....

Rich

#20 ·
Hi Rich,
Only one colon ....... I've timed the stop with a stopwatch and the display seems reasonable.

I like the beep it is almost hypnotic. No apparent missing zeros

So far today, I have only had one missing lap.

Nearly time for the GP qualifying and so far .............. I've managed not to stumble across the results

#21 ·
Woooah! ........ I just had a go with Display-Pro in Mode 1, that's the mode the little screen shows.

That is seriously scary to see a screen which, in my case is 17" instead of 17mm, is absolutely stunning yet eerily attractive. I have to say that I am really loving this. My eyes are just starting to go and I get quite hacked off having to wear glasses to try and see buttons and screens then taking them off to race.

I feel another bunch coming on

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
And to think when this got started, all I intended to do was Mode 1.

Thanks to the alpha testers, plenty of problems, but we are knocking them off, one by one.

Back to the red wineeeeeeeee

Back to work Tomorrowwwwwwwww

Rich

#23 ·
Don't you dare stop now ...... I have got to have my wireless throttles
. Doing the testing on this means that I am getting wound up in bl@@dy wires again ........

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
OK time for the next installment: today it is Race Mode.
The left of the screen says Race ... there are 5 red race lights to count down .... the laps to go are there on the right.

I could not find any real problems .... well in all honesty - none at all. I'm sure that is not supposed to happen so early in testing. There were no missed laps, the screen was so clear even Mr Magoo couldn't miss it. After each lap the leader bubbled to the top and the guys underneath had an arrow to indicate either a faster or slower lap than the leader. The cars counted the laps up and the screen counted them down.

Hit the Start button again and you get a track call which kills the power, hit Start again when you are ready and the 5 amber lights count you down again and away you go.

Ready to race again? Hit the Race Mode button ► and off you go again with the same parameters ....... childs' play!

Simply brilliant and brilliantly simple!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.