168 replies to this topic

#1 Transmission

Transmission

Prince of Destruction

• PLUS+
  • 509 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

Hello all,

After reading this forum for a while, I thought this is the place to share my new track project with some like-minded souls. So here we go.. wink.gif

For some time, I was thinking about a routed a track and even planned to by a router when one day I was standing in front of a big pile of wood in my stable and thought of another way of building a track. It was all left-over wood from several rebuilding projects in house and there was quite a lot of MDF in between. But most of the MDF was 4mm and 8mm thick, so too thin for a routed track. So that's when I thought, why not saw the MDF and glue the pieces together again leaving the slot open. I tried out the idea and was immediately convinced, this is the way to do it and I can use all this wood, don't have to buy any new and neither a router.

This is the first test piece I did.

Next step, building a table. A U shaped table with a narrow middle part for the main and back straight (the narrow piece is a compromise so others can still reach the windows wink.gif ).

And then the actual track building. I made a design first in a graphic program so I knew what I was doing. Then I took a sheet of MDF, put it on the table and drew the shape of the corner. Then I sawed the MDF so I had the shape of an actual piece of the track. I repeated this as many times necessary to complete the track so I could lay it out. Then I drew the lines where I wanted the slots to be. I decided on a two lane track (this technique will not be suitable for more than two lanes I think). And then came the difficult part: sawing the pieces again, sanding them and then glueing them together, making sure the slot has the correct width. For this I used a few pieces of perspex which I clipped in the slot while I glued it. The following images give an idea of this process:

And this is the result:

More will follow soon!
Cheers, René

#2 rallyhub

rallyhub

Trackhead

• PLUS+
  • 846 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

Hi René,

Welcome here on Slot Forum and many thanks for sharing.
I used this method with 2 saw blades soldered to each other to get a slot width of 3 mm.
It worked also for 3 slots on the Trio Track:
http://www.slotforum...showtopic=24649
I hope you will show us more of your progress.

rallyhub thumbsup.gif

#3 Mr. Olufsen

Mr. Olufsen

Mr. Olufsen

• PLUS+
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

Hi René,

Welcome to THE Forum! Thanks for sharing, this is an interesting method. I'm really looking forward to following your build. We're pleased to see that you combine manual labour with intellectual stuff such as reading. Your choice of subject matter is revealing, though... Anyway, your books have been put to good use!

Best regards,

Christian
_ _ _
"If a racing circuit has an overriding purpose, it is surely to provide a test for men and machines so severe that only the very best of both will stand a chance of victory." David Owen in "Targa Florio" 1979

My extremely slowly progressing home track: Piccola Sicilia
A how-to: Improving the standard Scalextric Digital Controller
An NSU Prinz this-is-not-a-review here: King of the Mountains

#4 Transmission

Transmission

Prince of Destruction

• PLUS+
  • 509 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

@ rallyhub: I was never under the illusion my idea/method was unique! As a designer, I know from experience it is virtually impossible to have a unique idea, it is more what you do with an idea. And you build some cool tracks for sure! cool.gif

@ Mr. Olufsen: I do read a book from time to time wink.gif and yes, I am a motorsport fan, have been all my life! tongue.gif

Both of you, thanks for the warm welcome! wink.gif

Actually, I have been working on this track the past few month in my spare time, so the current status is quite a bit further developed as shown until now. I will add a few more steps of the project.

#5 Transmission

Transmission

Prince of Destruction

• PLUS+
  • 509 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

So, next step, glueing the track parts together, filling, sanding, creating elevation and the overpass. Then it was time to do some serious painting!.

I used wallpaint for the track surface and first did a dark asphalt grey as a basecolor.

The backstraight has a nice elevation. One of the advantages of using 4mm thin MDF, it will bend very easy!

Next I added a light grey, but not completely opaque...

And then I finished the surface by drypainting it with several shades of grey to bring it to life..

Next step; the white lines to mark the track border. I used a flexible masking tape and cut out the line shape with a self-made double knife.

And here is the result...

Cheers! cool.gif

#6 milly

milly

Racer Dude

• PLUS+
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

Love the elevation changes and they seem much easier to create this way. White lines pure genius to cut the tape!!

I am watching with interest and thanks for sharing.

Hugh

#7 dangermouse

dangermouse

David Pedwell

• PLUS+
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:39 PM

Thanks for sharing, I like your self made line marking cutter, nice innovation

cheers
DM
Rediscovering Slot Cars
Enjoying making resin kits
Fora Junkie - I am only happy when I am online

#8 SpeedyNH

SpeedyNH

Top Tuner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:33 AM

wow. that's excellent. nice work, very nice place and shop. seems like and awful lot of work, though, keeping the slots even, just to avoid routing, but you certainly pulled it off. very cool. and you have a track!
speedy

#9 rallyhub

rallyhub

Trackhead

• PLUS+
  • 846 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

I was never under the illusion my idea/method was unique!

I agree 100% with you, there will be for sure someone, I do not know, before me with the same idea. I only wanted to show you, that 3 lanes are also possible in this way.
How did you fasten your track? Is it only glued?
It looks great and I am very curious about your building process.

rallyhub thumbsup.gif

#10 Kellerkind

Kellerkind

Targa Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

...Very great, I love this "made-out-of-nothing-projects". Great work on the roadsurface and sidelines. Looking fwd for your scenery. Regards Jens

#11 Transmission

Transmission

Prince of Destruction

• PLUS+
  • 509 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

Thanks Jens. I have been looking very carefully at your projects lately, very inspiring indeed!

#12 Transmission

Transmission

Prince of Destruction

• PLUS+
  • 509 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

OK, time to lay some copper. No special tools, just a tray to hold the tape upright and an old lighter (quit smoking years ago dry.gif ) to press and smooth out the tape. Quite a tedious job but someone's gotta do it...

Taping is ready so time to provisionally connect the track and do some serious running and testing! biggrin.gif

'C'mon Ayrton, put the pedal to the metal!'

Track is really running smooth, just a few points that needed some extra sanding.

Cheers! cool.gif

#13 FZSsemans®

FZSsemans®

Peter Rondel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

Kewl! So many nice cars. You got taste!

#14 radtad

radtad

Learner Driver