Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Old Mabuchis with add-on magnets ??!!??, Weird motors in an Ebay lot
Neckcheese
post 21 May 2013, 23:56
Post #1

Racer Dude

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,216

I recently bought a 1:32 lot on Ebay, mostly late 60's/ early 70's stuff (I think)

amongst the parts was a couple of old, heavily modified Mabuchi motors:

The top left one has a very special endbell, maybe homemade in clear plastic material (?). It also sport what looks like extra magnets glued to the outside of the can ! but nicely blend in, so at first it looked like a special can. Armature looks like a rewind. There are a couple of motors more with the same add-on magnets.

Does anybody recognize these motors ??

The motors from the lot:

There were also a heap of chassis in the lot - mayby somebody recognizes these too ??

you can see the whole lot here: E-bay lot May 2013

yours, Niels Elmholt, DK

--------------------
Magnets are for posting messages on the fridge.....

www.racecars.dk
Go to the top of the page

+
CJA
post 22 May 2013, 00:51
Post #2

Sir Slotalot
Group Icon

Group: PLUS+
Member No.: 3,384

What can one say ??.

An amazing lot.

"Back in the day" we used to inset 16D super magnets into the smaller 13D size can.

This gave lower C of G and higher revs.

The diameter of armatures in both 16 and 13 size motors was the same, so magnet swap was OK.

Hope that is of some help, obviously the technology then and now went way beyond that simplistic description.

vbr Chris A.

+
300SLR
post 22 May 2013, 06:30
Post #3

Team Owner

Member No.: 8,360

The clear plastic endbell appears to be a MRRC endbell.
MRRC made two sizes of endbell - for 13UO and 16D cans. They were good for much higher currents than the standard 13UO endbell, just what the tuners needed.

Back in the day, the sides of the 13UO can were cut out so thicker magnets could be used. This gave a much stronger magnetic field than the standard 13UO magnets. Combine that with a "hot" armature and an endbell that could take the higher current and you could have a motor fast enough to win the Nationals.

I don't recall ever seeing magnets stuck on the outside of a 13UO, so I reckon what Niels has is 13UO cans cut out with thicker magnets.

Looks like the lot includes Mura B and Mura C can motors, these probably date from slightly later than the modified 13UOs

+
Bigtone
post 22 May 2013, 06:55
Post #4

Tony
Group Icon

Member No.: 20,689

I have a couple of 13UO's that have had the sides cut out and cobalt samarium magnets glued in and the special end bells fitted, they both have 26 guage armatures in them
Tony

--------------------
I'm Feeling Comfortably Numb

+
300SLR
post 22 May 2013, 07:26
Post #5

Team Owner

Hi Tony
Cobalt samarium magnets would be about a decade later than the MRRC endbell 13UO.
Most of those early 80's 13UOs had the soft cobalt samarium cut down so they fitted inside the can. This usually gave enough magnetic strength, although you could use an Imphinity can to give a little extra magnet volume.
Come to think of it, Johnson 111 cans rather than 13UOs were most common inf those early 80's motors - although the 13UO name seem to have stuck.

With the much weaker magnetic material that was all we had for slot cars around 1970, the extra magnet volume sticking out the side of the can was quite an advantage

+
Bigtone
post 22 May 2013, 07:46
Post #6

Tony
Group Icon

Member No.: 20,689

Hi 300
I know my mtors are 13uo's with samarium magnets as I built them in the 80's, I had to use whatever I could lay my hands on then as I was very short of money at the time. I didn't have the facilities to cut down the magnets so openining the can was the only way to fit them. I couldn't afford the prices some motors cost then. I have also recently aquire an Ifinity motor complete with a double 26 guage armature.
Tony

--------------------
I'm Feeling Comfortably Numb

+
superhornets
post 22 May 2013, 12:32
Post #7

Tony Condon
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,167

certainly 13u0s were modified in the 70s by cutting the sides out ,and inserting mura b typr magnets ,as it gave a lighter more compact motor than a B can

cheers tony

--------------------
"The Older I Get The Faster I Was"

"The History of Electric Model Car Racing in Britain" due for publishing in October 2008 ,price £19.99

+
300SLR
post 22 May 2013, 17:40
Post #8

Team Owner

Hi Tony
Fair enough, I hadn't previous come across anybody who had done a cobalt mag 13UO that way

I used to file down soft cobalts to fit a 13UO size can. Quite a time consuming job, but the only facilities needed was a file. Once they started selling the magnets ready machined down to fit, I was prepared to pay the modest extra charge.

+
superhornets
post 22 May 2013, 18:16
Post #9

Tony Condon
Group Icon

Hi
Yes I have to admit that when cobalts came out ,we tended to put them inside the cans as they were really strong
stronger than full width Mura B magnets so there was no need to hang them out of the cans

cheers tony

--------------------

"The History of Electric Model Car Racing in Britain" due for publishing in October 2008 ,price £19.99

+
dgersh
post 22 May 2013, 21:06
Post #10

Don Siegel
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 187

Nice looking bunch of motors Niels. Looks like a couple of B cans in there, and that little round one is a Rikominx. The black one may be a stock Champion of some sort, and the one with the two cooling holes is another Riko motor, maybe the Whiplash? One of our British friends will recognize it...

Good to hear the old 13D stories.... I don't remember trying to fit 16D magnets in there, but it would have been a good idea. They may have been a bit more popular in the UK than the USA because of 1/32 being more popular. I did read one article where the guy spent about 4 hours turning down a set of Versitec magnets to fit in a 13D....

Don

+
Mick Kerr
post 22 May 2013, 23:59
Post #11

Sir Slotalot
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,491

Got to agree with Tony here.
Most of the early 13UO magnet mods were done with Mura B can magnets and it was much easier to cut out the side of the can than to cut down the magnets.
The resin endbell is an MRRC product first released about 1970.
They were cast in 'Araldite' casting resin which is a thermo setting resin and can be a little brittle but is totally resistant to heat, unlike the standard nylon endbells. They were supplied with optional brush hoods, either 16D or the bigger 36D size.
I still have a couple of them in use today.
Cheers.
Mick.

--------------------

+
proslotx12
post 23 May 2013, 08:42
Post #12

Member No.: 23,657

Bottom Row of the Chassis's LHS looks to be a Bog F32

+
Spurman
post 23 May 2013, 12:44
Post #13

Trackhead

Member No.: 9,742

Speaking of hot 13D motors ! I was always under the assumption that this above motor was
a 13D Monogram ! Well , I had a close look at it , and it has metallic paint , and not the standard
red of the Monogram motors ! It is definitely an old re-wind , and has the epoxy resin over the armature
wiring ! Who made it ? Have not a clue ! But I will say this about it - it is one mean little motor , and has
amazing revs ! I tested it against some of my strong 16Ds (Chong , Lenz etc. ) - and is has that high revving whistle !
Any information welcomed ! Zig

--------------------
Just be yourself , and do your own thing(ie) !

+
Neckcheese
post 23 May 2013, 13:34
Post #14

Racer Dude

Member No.: 1,216

QUOTE (proslotx12 @ 23 May 2013, 10:42) *
Bottom Row of the Chassis's LHS looks to be a Bog F32

It certainly is and has also "BOG32". engraved. Here it is with a similar chassis (without engraving):

I also have this BOG F32 chassis from ebay:

You can see more pics of my F32 chassis including a Russ Brawn chassis here: F32 Chassis

Niels, DK

--------------------
Magnets are for posting messages on the fridge.....

www.racecars.dk

+
superhornets
post 23 May 2013, 17:01
Post #15

Tony Condon
Group Icon

Hi There were actually 2 different models of bog f32 chassis
it looks like you,ve got them both there ,the cruder one is the original and the other is the latest,which vied with the SCD version to be the quickest chassis in the latter days of the class

cheers tony

--------------------

+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th November 2014 - 07:09
© SlotForum Copyright Notice - Please Read / © Aviso de copyright SlotForum - Léanlo, por favor / © A proposito del Copyright del contenuto di Slotforum - Per favore leggere attentamente