#1 GRUNZ

GRUNZ

Slot Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

Hi All
This is my first post here. I have plunged in the slot world just a couple of months ago (bought the platinum digital set at the beginning of May 2014).
Eventually, I managed to put together enough track to build a layout inspired by the Portimao circuit in Algarve. I came across this circuit thanks to Minardi.
The track was built on Saturday afternoon on my garage floor and disassembled on Sunday evening. The main racing event happened on Saturday evening (from 6 pm to 11:30 pm) with 4 drivers.
We used RCS64 without weather but with damages and power was set to 66% (40 on RCS64) to avoid serious damage to the cars (although I managed to loose the grille of one of my R8).
It was a blast. The circuit flow is really nice and that on long straight cars fly.

The track pieces are all new so I could not see any noticeable power loss in any part of it. I didn't use any power tap. The drivers are standing around the corners of the garage doing marshalling as well.
For the controllers I build myself 3 extension cables. All in all everything went smoothly except that at one point during the pit stop, one car "hijacked" the id of another car. Basically, with the same controller you could control two cars. This happened twice by the same car/chip/controller. After changing the chip on that car, the problem didn't occur any more...I have to send this chip to Ian for an update to InCarPro.

I have some pics to show...sorry for their quality...they have been badly resized.

Here is a pic of the layout using the horrible (but free) scalextric track designer. The track dimensions are roughly 6m x 3m and the track length is 22m on average (L1 22,31m and L2 21,83m).

Here are two pics of the real layout

Finally a bit of close-up action (you can see the missing grille from the grey R8)

My long term plan (once I buy my own house) is to build a decent size table (8m x 3m) where to lay the track on and suspend it to the roof of the garage to remove it so that I can park the car. I do not think that I am going to fix the track or landscape it as I want to change the layout from time to time (next in the list is catalunya, followed by suzuka).

That's all for now. Thanks for reading.

gio
cheers
gio
-----------------
Auckland Digital Slot Racing - ADSR

my previous rug layout - R.A.T.C.

a temporary Portimao layout - Portimao

#2 Richard A

Richard A

Richard August

• PLUS+
  • 793 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:38 PM

It seems very strange to me that you even think of putting a car in a garage, in most of the UK a garage is most definitely not for putting a car in!

Posted Image

Richard

#3 GRUNZ

GRUNZ

Slot Guru

• Members
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:09 PM

Well, we use the garage also as a "decontamination" room when we go out with our dogs for the morning and evening walks. In this wet kiwi winter, it is quite handy to be able to dry and clean the dogs before they get into the house.
cheers
gio
-----------------

#4 Chappy

Chappy

Bob Chapman

• Admin
  • 5,088 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:31 PM

Hi Grunz
Welcome to the visible majority on the forum.
Your off to a good start, as we all like pictures here.
That is a nice layout you have put up, and like many taken down again.
But all good things come to those who wait.
I am looking forward to your next couple of layouts, particularly Suzuka.
Great job, andnhope you get a permanent place soon.
Bob
Bob

#5 GRUNZ

GRUNZ

Slot Guru

• Members
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:54 PM

Hi Bob
Thanks for your nice words and the welcome. I have been lurking for quite a while. I have enjoyed the builds described in these pages.
This is the plan that I have for Suzuka...but this requires really a long and narrow room. But I guess it could be also arranged on a L shape table. I have all the track pieces...what is missing at the moment is the room.

cheers
gio

cheers
gio
-----------------

#6 Chappy

Chappy

Bob Chapman

• Admin
  • 5,088 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:49 AM

http://www.electricd...ount-9x21.5.jpg

http://www.electricd...s-in-miniature/

The first llink is a good one of the track and pieces of Scalextric Sport Track for 4 lane.
Grunz I will try and post a link of a similar track with an underpass. It is a famous old track which has long gone. 20th track down on the page of the 2nd link, also many more tracks that might be up your alley.
Many a famous racer has left rubber on its surface.
it was in California, and called Paramount Ranch Raceway . It is a little slimmer than Suzuka.
If I am lucky, you should see a link or two at the top of my post.
All, the best
Bob
Bob

#7 GRUNZ

GRUNZ

Slot Guru

• Members
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:42 AM

Yep, I can see the links and the tracks. Some of those track fit nicely in my planning to set up a track in my small room (2.80 m x 3.30m) with a U-shaped table (basically using a couple of desks and some MDF across them. Nothing fancy: just a technical track with a nice flow to have fun during the evenings and in the weekends.
cheers
gio
-----------------

#8 MrFlippant

MrFlippant

Slot God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:51 AM

Very nice track, and plans for the future.

Rainier Raceways ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Slot Car Wiki ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ DRAWW ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Portable Track

#9 skell

skell

Tea Boy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:27 AM

Awesome looking tracks! Good luck with it all.

#10 GRUNZ

GRUNZ

Slot Guru

• Members
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:46 AM

Thanks for your support guys!

MrFlippant, I have seen the DRAWW videos. Really nice. I hope to be able to create a small club here as well.
I have a question that is a bit off topic: in the video I see that the cars have lights on even when they are stationary on the track (after a track call for instance). Do you use the InCarPro firmware or you have connected the lights directly to the cables coming from the braids?

cheers
gio
cheers
gio
-----------------

#11 Minardi

Minardi

Slot Guru

• Members
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:58 AM

thewave.gif
Great job Gio and welcome ! It is such a nice track Portimao, I am sure one day you will get back to It. If you have the chance, elevations add a lot to a track.
Catalunya comes very close, but Portimao is better in my opinion. Suzuka is nice too, but I miss a really long straight.
If you connect the wires directly to the guide, lights will be on all the time, with a standard chip.
Keep up the good work !
thumbsup.gif

#12 GRUNZ

GRUNZ

Slot Guru

• Members
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:10 AM

Hi Minardi
thanks for your kind words! I think you are right: Catalunya is a bit harder given the higher number of tight corners. But I will give it a go...maybe later this month.
I really would like to add the elevation as in your beautiful track. For that I need to build some supports. Once I got the table done I will make sure to have the track running on different levels.
Thanks also for answering on the lights: if it not compromise the car handling (e.g., reducing current to the motor) then I will try to do this simple mod.

cheers
gio
cheers
gio
-----------------

#13 jay-bl

jay-bl

Jay Botteri-Lane

• PLUS+
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:04 AM

Hey, Grunz - welcome to the forum... you're off to a flying start!

I used to live about 25 mins from the Portimão Autodrome, so I'd visit regularly - it's a fantastic circuit to spectate at and, as others have already said, you've done an equally fantastic job in re recreating it in your garage to race on!

Always envious of those with space available to lay a semi-permanent circuit at home, I look forward to your next layouts... particularly Suzuka - it's another one of my favourites. The wood-routed circuit at one of the clubs here is based on it, too - I can try to get some pics if you're interested.

Again, welcome - and, see you around! wink.gif
gallery_24704_2409_19922.png

Mailbox full! It'll be quicker and easier if you email me rather than PM!

#14 GregK

GregK

Greg Kilkenny

• PLUS+
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

I hope that you don't mind but I've had a bash at running this through Ultimate Racer ........

I've posted it sideways to get it to display at the maximum forum size, it should be easy to save it as a JPG to your hard disk, then you could then re-orientate it by 90deg ........ smile.gif
The yellow chevrons are pit-in and pit-out sensor track pieces.

#15 MrFlippant

MrFlippant

Slot God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (GRUNZ @ 8 Jul 2014, 21:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
MrFlippant, I have seen the DRAWW videos. Really nice. I hope to be able to create a small club here as well.
I have a question that is a bit off topic: in the video I see that the cars have lights on even when they are stationary on the track (after a track call for instance). Do you use the InCarPro firmware or you have connected the lights directly to the cables coming from the braids?

Glad you liked them, Gio. I hope you can get a regular group racing. That's what I like best about this hobby. smile.gif

As the others mentioned, wiring the lights to the guide accomplishes the always-on lights as well as wiring them to the chip. Most of our cars have been DPR, which isn't easy to add chip-controlled lights to, so we either leave them stock (usually wired to motor), or wire them to the guide. And no, it does not cause any perceptible loss in performance.

Rainier Raceways ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Slot Car Wiki ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ DRAWW ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Portable Track

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users