The latest Scalextric
borders and barriers look very good but for my own track I wanted
something a little "greener" to reflect it's English
So, just for those who are
new to this kind of thing, here is how I set about doing it...
Firstly, I removed the red and white strip and barrier fittings
and gave the borders a thorough wash to clean off any grease. I
then applied two thinned coats of green acrylic paint. For this I
used Windsor and Newton Galeria Sap Green with just enough water
added to make it paint on evenly.
Once dry, I added a brown (burnt umber) acrylic "wash".
For those that are not familiar with this technique, a wash here
is just regular acrylic artist paint thinned with plenty of water
so that it just "washes" over the surface without
obliterating the green. As it dries you will see how it emphasises
the texture of the grass:
Next, I replaced the
barrier and placed a strip of masking tape along the front edge.
Then I made a 50/50 mix of
PVA hobby glue and painted it on between the tape and the guard
rail. Now this is where it starts to get good! Sparingly, sprinkle
on some static grass (this is a fibre like grass and not the
traditional coloured sawdust type scatter material) and blow on it
lightly. This helps it to stand up giving a nice realistic
appearance. Don't overdo it though as if you make the grass too
dense you will waste all your earlier work in creating the washed
base texture which helps to give this it's uneven and natural
Now remove the masking
tape and leave the border to dry out. Later, if you want you can
add a second thinner coat of dilute PVA glue just to set the
static grass a little firmer before refitting the red and white
When it's all thoroughly
dry it's ready to use on the track:
Incidentally, the static
grass can be obtained from many model railway or war games
suppliers such as Games Workshop. The nice thing is that even if
you don't have a permanent track you can still add a little
greenery to your layout this way.