SlotForum banner

A homage to the F type

6K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  Mileage 
#1 ·
But not the F type you are thinking of.

A chance image when browsing the Interweb the other day reminded me of a vehicle I had all but forgotten but saw regularly when I was a kid in the 70's.

I cannot recall ever seeing one of these in slot form so I thought - "why not?"

I found some dimensions for the F Range made by Morrisons and this seemed a better option than the 3 wheeler I remember from early mornings in my youth.

Here's the chassis....

and yes I know the wheels are inappropriate but they are intended to be ironic (as will the scale speed be!)

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Vehicle

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Plenty of room for a chip. The motor will be a more powerful one once it is run-in.

The Beast itself weighs in at 130g - about the same as a Scalextric Truck.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Car

Enough of a teaser?

Attachments

#3 ·
OK here goes...

...but is the Slot world ready for this?

The original ubiquitous electric vehicle...

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Product

Wheel Tire Truck Motor vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

#4 ·
Of course I needed some stock to deliver so I printed it. The driver is not mine - he was moved from Tractor duties.

Wheel Tire Truck Vehicle Product

Wheel Tire Truck Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Product Toy

Attachments

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
@RikoRocket - no need for slow - its going to be the fastest milk cart in the West!

@Trisha - one of my club mates said Gulf! Im thinking Unigate for this one. But Gulf is on the cards. Pink pig is an interesting idea but what about the black and white cow pattern of Gateway Computers?

#8 ·
All it needs now is a wibbly-wobbly Chase Car chassis for some serious fun .......
dribble.gif
:lmfao:

Reactions: Mr Modifier
#11 ·
Mr Modifer, I have to ask, Is that milk float Ernie's? After all he did drive the fastest milk cart in the West!!! :p

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Oh yes it has to be. I anticipate a scale speed of 200mph (about 2.8 m/s in 1/32) - something even Ernie wouldnt have contemplated!

#13 ·
You could easily do a scale version of Ray Christopher's "Pastyereyes Express"!

https://imagehosting.rodsnsods.co.uk/imported/2011/08/46.jpg

I was at Wheels Day (the Street Rod scene's Good Friday season opener) in about 1976, when he turned up with this completely unannounced. He'd driven from Bournemouth to Bracknell in it, and as soon as it rolled into the arena the crowd made a beeline for it.

Reactions: Mr Modifier
#15 ·
Hmmm I had heard of a couple of V8 milk floats. I already have a 3D V8 from my Rat Rod project - easy enough to stick that on the rear deck...

#16 ·
That's amazing, you really have got the hand of that printer.

That should be interesting negotiating your Ice Maiden track.

It also reminds me there is a book a should read again, about crossing Britain by electric milk float, an F type I'm sure, written by Tony Hawk, of Morris Minor and the Majors fame..........

I'd better start looking, I've only got about a month to find it.

Simon

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Time for an update.

I have three Milk Floats in the pipeline - one is finished, one is part way through and one is fresh off the printer.

I tweaked the chassis to add height adjustment to the front axle, and I added a digital chip tray (there is a ridiculous amount of room inside this thing!)...

White Toy Wood Gas Plastic

So which one did I finish?

This one.....

Tire Vehicle Toy Motor vehicle Automotive design

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Toy

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Toy

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Truck

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Truck

There goes Ernie - off into the sunset....

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Wood

Attachments

#21 ·
That's one of the best things I have ever seen. I can imagine it turning up in an episode of Guy Martin's Speed:

"Reet, this week, we're gonna find owt if yer can go faster than t' speed o' light in a milk float when the lads at Hope Tech need a brew and they've run owt o' Steri'.

*End of episode: Milk folat in Unigate/Hope/ Rolls Royce livery with a hybrid electric motor driven by generators run off a Merlin engine.*

#22 ·
That is Brilliant, in its own way as clever as any scratch build.

3D printing really is the future for hobbyists and crafters everywhere. Currently not for me, but who knows if any grandchildren ever appear I might in the future adopt it to interact with them .

Well done.

Simon

#23 ·
Thanks all,

There is another livery in the pipeline - I need to apply decals and a clear coat to finish it off.

I will post this in a few days and hopefully some video of the pair in action...

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
After a very quick session on the track and with help from my son - I bring you a 30 second video clip......

It drives surprisingly well given the short wheelbase and high centre of gravity. No magnets of course so it slides on demand!

It will tip over if you go into the long bends at speed but a little lift off and she corners better than a Scaley Truck.

I haven't even trued the tyres yet (too eager to drive it) but the adjustable front axle height with tyres just touching and about 1mm of vertical travel seems to help a fair bit.

It is running a standard black stripe mabuchi (18k) with standard Scaley pinion and in line contrate.

Maybe I should try something a bit more lively...

#25 ·
It has been a productive day today.

Hot on the heels of the Unigate test drive (video link in previous post) - now the MotorSport industry is taking an interest in this newest form of eco friendly racing.

And of course the big sponsors are flocking to get on the wagon encouraged by the racing teams eager to milk this new source of revenue (of course the pun was intended - I wasn't going to let that one slide).

So here is the second Type F to leave my assembly line....

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Asphalt

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Hood Automotive tire

The bottles are full of engine oil - which is why they are blue - to avoid foul tasting tea.

Wheel Tire Truck Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

What a grid! The atmosphere is electric, there is a battery of cameras on the pit wall waiting for the start.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Toy

Feel free to add your own puns :)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.