SlotForum banner

Little Monte

15K views 81 replies 23 participants last post by  Lloyd.L 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is a repost of my build thread that I started in 2010, replacing some of the photos lost on Photobucket.

Earlier this year I posted a few pics of the first section of my intended rally track. Building was delayed by the acquisition of a new, larger shed, but now I have some of the track up and running I thought it was time to share some more pics.

The original section in it's new home.

Wood Floor Flooring Wood stain Hardwood

A general shot of the track so far.

Wood Wood stain Flooring Floor Beam

I have deliberately made each section different and this pic shows 2 of the slot patterns that go towards making life interesting for the driver!

Wood Chair Outdoor furniture Wood stain Floor

This is the last section completed so far. I used the matt grey paint here to give the needed grip for this section, but it will be matt white when it is finished. Also note that the screw holes have not yet been filled as I need to test drive each section before completing it to make sure that it is just difficult, not impossible!

Wood Plumbing fixture Motor vehicle Composite material Plumbing

From the early stages I have used this old Artin Porsche, courtesy of Julian Boolean, as the test car, on the grounds that if it could get round, anything could. As it turns out, it is the best car that I have so far in that several of the others grip too much! This one has the right balance between being able to hang the back out and keep a tight line when needed, I will set up my other cars as much like this one as possible. It also has the benefit of being able to withstand 5' falls with no damage.

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Window

As can be seen from the pics there is still a long way to go, but its a start. It is already a lot of fun to drive, hence the slow progress! I would like to do an 'in car' video, but I cant work out how to make my 808 spycam work!

Regards, Lloyd

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi Sig, yes, it's all just hung on the wall at the moment while I finalize the rest of the track plan. I have thought of using the offcuts from the jigsaw work to hang on my wall indoors, some look like fishes! It will be easier to drive when it gets some scenery, thats for sure!

Regards, Lloyd

#6 ·
Hi JimD, yes, it is already fun, but I need to be doing a and a little more building!little less 'testing' The original zig zag and the grey painted track are 12mm (1/2 inch, I think) and all the rest is 9mm. Apart from 1 cut near where the car is sitting, I just held the track with screws or weight until it got used to it! It is surprising how much MDF can bend!

Kev, so do I ! If you ever come across a Joeuf car that does not require a mortgage, let me know as I like to try one on there. I was planning to make the track 'transportable'. But I think that the only way this one is going anywhere is if I put wheels and a tow hook on the shed!

Regards, Lloyd

#7 ·
Wow, that's a comprehensive track, I'll be looking forward to further installations.

cheers

#14 ·
Thanks all, for the kind comments and encouragement.

I made one more piece of track today and hope to route it tomorrow. When it is in place I will post a pic. I am still working on making an 'in car' video to give some idea of what it is like to drive.

Regards, Lloyd

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have salvaged these videos from the original 2010 thread, they are still awful to watch though!

I have made these 2 videos. Sorry they are very rough, but they do give some idea of what it is like to drive.

Regards, Lloyd

#17 ·
Yes Sig, but, as you know, you have to keep driving it to make sure it is ok and drivable, at the same time not getting it finished because you are having too much fun! The videos do make it look faster than it is, they were all quite slow laps for the camera. It looks like that lower section has got a new name
lol!

Thanks for looking.

Regards, Lloyd

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Photos replaced 8/12/17.

Hi all, Little Monte has reached an important, to me, landmark, when I fitted the last section of track in place. Even without any scenery to stop it flying in the air, the Focus was fun to drive round. And round, and round and round, meaning that I did not get anything else done!

Sorry Sig, the 'Chasm of Death' is now like a Sunday drive in the country!

Furniture Wood Table Chair Bicycle tire

Wood Table Bicycle fork Wood stain Bicycle tire

This shot shows a totally out of place SCX Compact German Touring car Mercedes, kindly supplied by masmojo, that, despite being so low, got round most of the track very well.

Wood Plank Hardwood Flooring Wood stain

Now to get some scenery on it to make it look more like a rally track and less like a roller coaster!

Regards, Lloyd

Attachments

#24 ·
Thanks guys,

Kev, I call it my folly. A folly is making something to stop me going mad, or, as my wife and family see it, to prove that I already am! BTW, did you get my email last night?

JP, got 3 6R4 bodies sitting here, but have not had time to start yet. I will put 1 together so you can come round and test it round Little Monte.

Graham, thanks for the compliment, but this is all yours and Sig's fault. Nearly a year ago I accidentally came across the SF tracks and scenery forum and it pushed me over the edge!!!

Regards, Lloyd

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello Lloyd,
Looking great and the cars seem to grip very well - you said matt gray paint - is that like primer or is it a top coat?

Leo

ps - I have static 1:43 resin kit of a Lancia Aurelia sedan that is now surplus (nice metal ones now made in China). I would be pleased to donate it, hopefully could find a chassis that would fit it.
PM me your address.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.