SlotForum banner

Gates of Heaven

31K views 126 replies 28 participants last post by  Wraith 
#1 ·
I've been meaning to start my own thread on building my own track for some time but was simply busy with other things and it never materialised until now. The idea is to have my own track and post photos of my track and my cars as the time goes by.

When I moved into my new flat 2 years ago I didn't pay too much attention to the "loft access" we have as was told there is only enough room for storage of folded boxes and light bulky items. The loft hatch remained unopened for almost a year...

Having fianlly decided to venture 'upstairs', I wasted no time in contacting my dad (building contractor) to find out when is he free so we can start converting my loft space into usable 'storage area'! I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the 'usable space' was just over 10m long and 2.2m wide with head clearance of just over 6 foot - enough to store more than 1,000 folded boxes!
At this point in time I had no intention in telling my missus that the loft space will be firstly used as the space to build my track and secondly as the storage area
The dream was trully alive and kicking!

Couple of weeks later after doing some research I managed to snap up a very cheap loft hatch opening with the retractable ladder for just over ÂŁ100 - bargain! Soon afterwards it was finally fitted after 2 days of spending time to widen the previous opening and ensure that all beams are fully supported. The 'Gates of Heaven' were right in front of me

Here is what it actually looked like in the loft before we started boarding it up.

I had to wait another couple of weeks before we put up the boards and installed lights and power. The end result....

I will be using this half of the loft to setup my track and the other side will be used for storage but there will be plenty of space on the side for me to put down 10m straight in both directions!

The insulation sheets finally got put up 2 weeks which will ensure that temperature does not get above 30 degrees or below 20 degrees so there should be no problems with track starting to flex over time.

I have also purchased enough Eva foam tiles cover half the loft and dumpen the noise from the cars as it would be simply too loud with plastic track directly on the wooden boards. I will hopefully get the time to lay the tiles down this weekend and finally start putting my track down without the need to ever dismatle it after the racing is over for the day

The idea is to build digital track using Scalextric Sports track but also allow for use of analogue cars so there will be no CLC corners unless I can apply the mod which sorts out the issue with analogue racing. So, if there is anybody out there with some ideas as to how I can utilise 5.1m x 2.2m of space - please do share you ideas with me as I am still undicided as to what my track should look like
Please keep in mind that there should be enough space on either side for at least one person to marshal.

I will be using new SuperAPB which Riko has modded for me so I can use variable PSU and Pit lane with In/Out sensors will be a must for my track.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey Zarko,

"Gates of Heaven" what an accurate description!

Been looking forward to your thread about your build, looks great! Can't wait to see the rest.

#5 ·
QUOTE (RikkiGTR @ 12 Aug 2011, 22:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is a familiar sight. that's almost exactly the same as the loft ladder I'm having fitted in a few weeks (will be the last thing fitted in my own Man-Cave).
I was very lucky to get mine at the price I did (ÂŁ100 including delivery) and well pleased with it.

Some more updates.... The foam tiles have been layed down and the blank 'canvas' is finally ready to have some track on it
I've got some problems in getting the TrackPower working on my PC but hopefully will get that sorted out soon. In the mean time, if anyone has some ideas on the track layout, please let me know.

For anyone wondering what foam tiles I used, here is the photo describing it. It cost me just over ÂŁ60 for 5 packs of 8 tiles.

#6 ·
QUOTE (Keeto @ 12 Aug 2011, 20:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>"Gates of Heaven" what an accurate description!

lol - that's how much it means to me!

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yeah, one day when I do mine I'll have to come up with something "Heavenly" as well....
Like the gym mats idea, will help with the noise and knees when building tracks.

You not going to set-up a permanent set-up hey Zarko? More like semi-permanent? Permanent "room" but not permanent track?

#8 ·
It will def be a permanent track but it might take some time before I settle on the final layout. I might also change it from time to time especially by adding a long straight for special occasions

#9 ·
Hi Zarko, that looks like a great start you've made. I'd start with any old track idea, and gradually change and refine it as you go along.
Shamelessly copy bits of tracks you like, and keep the bits that work well and are fun.
Gradually you'll end up with a blinding track, and you'll have lots of fun tinkering along the way.
For me that's the fun bit.
Cheers,
Richard

#11 ·
@Richard - Thanks, it took a while to get to this stage and now can't get the TrackPower to work on my laptop
so currently just playing around with different setups by getting all the track I have on the floor. Hopefully I will sort out the issue with TrackPower soon and then be able to try different ideas before putting the track down. As you said, it will take time before I settle on the final layout.

@Tristan - With the track being up in the loft I certainly won't have an issue with young ones crawling/stepping on the track as simply they will not get access to it. Also, as you can see from the angle of the beams it will be hard to get even 1m of width should I consider a table setup as the higher you go, the narrower it gets.

#12 ·
QUOTE (zarko @ 13 Aug 2011, 18:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In the mean time, if anyone has some ideas on the track layout, please let me know.

Zarko,
There's a track on the forum somewhere called 'the coffin' which really excited me about the possibility of doing a long narrow track that's also interesting.
I wouldn't say I copied it, but it was definitely an influence. I'll see if I can find pix of it.
Cheers,
Richard

#13 ·
If you can find, that would be great. I also like what you have doen with your track as I might need to consider narrower track in any case to allow easy access around the track and space for marshalling when I eventually get some people coming over for some racing.

#14 ·
OK got it, it's RecklessRacer's track, here's the thread:

The coffin

and here's a couple of pix:

Cheers,
Richard

#16 ·
Richard - thanks for fidning it, genius idea to have the track stored away and keep it dust free at the same time.

Colin - I thought it was a must to reduce the noise as much as possible and it wasn't that expensive at all.

Finally got the TrackPower sorted!
And here is the first attempt at creating my track...

I wanted a fast, flowing track but this just doesn't look that exciting to me - what do you guys think? One thing I did keep in mid was making sure I can have two people on the right of the track and 3 more to the left and bottom left of the track.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Looks nice for a Sunday afternoon drive ;-)

Its a tough one with the limited 2.2m, try a small R1 set to slow the racing down and add some skill into the race.

Gordon and I will always help you test the track ;-)

#19 ·
It will be Scaley Sports track with some Classic SCX pieces. Slow progress recently as been away on holiday for 2 weeks and had other things which needed sorting out.

Hoping to the get track layed out some time next week and comence with testing all the cars I have which have not been taken out of the box for almost 2 years now.

#24 ·
Colin - For the last month or so I had roofers in/out every other day or so trying to fix a small leak from the roof which is on the opposite side to where the track is meant to be but I had to move all the stuff over to one side to give them access so not had the space to work on teh track. They are back again today and hopefully everything should be resolved so I can get on with it. It has been very painfull having all the space but not being able to utilise it.

Simon - Thanks. The wife is actually well happy that I was able to convert the loft into the usbale area so she no longer has to put up with me laying down the track in the leaving room.

#26 ·
Well, they 'fixed' the leak about 10 days ago but surprise-surprise, there was hardly any rain during the last 2 weeks where I live! It did poor down last night only for a short period but early signs are good as usually some water would come through but not this time. Fingers crossed, it should be all sorted now.

I have now moved all my cars and track pieces into the loft but need to finish off couple of things in the spare room in prepareration for the 'new arrival'. I am hoping, I will have a test track setup for the coming weekend as really need to evaluate how many track pieces I have and what is missing so I can order it in time for Xmas.

Re signature - It's always nice to have an eye catchy visual instead of the boring text

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.