SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
hi,
for slot car kitbashing I always use 2 part epoxy, in the 5 minute variety. it holds really well, and is easy to build up for adding strenth to joints (adding more inside the car, behind the joint line, for further support). meanwhile, I have heard others rave about Plastic Weld (re: daleg)...so I assume it is still available also.

good luck,
John

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Ecurie Martini is absolutely correct about adding a sheer fabric for greater strength for the weight than epoxy alone. I smiled at first, imagining a crash that would require such strength...but I suppose in serious competition the crashes can be pretty dramatic! You can also layup symetric pairs of fabric oriented +/- 45 deg for even better stress resistance.

On another note, in comparing 2 part resins to cyanoacrylates (superglues), the thing that comes to mind is the greater toughness of the resins, they will withstand a lot of loading and with a little compliance, which is nice. Meanwhile superglues are particularly good for little parts that you would rather have break off in a crash and reglue (not implying the superglues are weak, but they are more brittle). With resin, the glue may hold and damage the little part.

I noticed the suggestions about using a special glue for windows, but wasn't sure that any brands were mentioned (I probably missed them). Just in case though, Model Masters makes a nice one called Clear Parts Cement and Window Maker. It is fairly strong and dries completely clear. In a serious accident, as with the superglue, the windshield make come off, but is easily reglued.

cheers,
John

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.