SlotForum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/spYzVySZZkU?rel=0

I've been working on this for a few weeks as it's my first scratch build. It's not perfect, but I'm reasonably happy for my first atempt. It's a Betta and Classic body with a PCS32 chassis. Power is from a Slot It motor, but that can be swaped out as needed.

One problem I had was trying to get the wheel arches smooth. The shell was too thin and flexible for the sand paper and I couldn't cut them in an even curve. Anyone got any ideas for a way to do this? I had 2 ideas, 1 curved sissors or 2 puting some resin inside the arch to beef it up so the edge wouldn't move when I attempted to file it.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Try using a Dremel with a sanding drum attachment.

I always use that method on wheel arches.

I suggest that you go very very gently given the delicacy of lexan even with resin applied.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Nice job! I always use a very sharp scalpel to take out wheel arches, window openings etc. I take off small slithers at a time until I have the shape I want then go over with some wet & dry paper to finish off. All the cut outs on these three were done using this method...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, looks like I need to invest in some more tools

·
Mike
629 Posts
You could always wrap sandpaper around a suitable size pencil / wooden spoon handle and spin by hand in the arch
Mike

·
Circuit Owner
5,893 Posts
Try some wooden dowel or suitable pipe that just fits the arches, wrap wet'n'dry around it and use it to file slowly and gently.

Beefing up the arches with resin on the inside might help save it from crash damage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts