SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
There cat be many people who have designed and built a 1/24 only track, most have done a 1/32 scale with occasionally racing 1/24 cars, so well done for that alone. The design looks great, the track looks wonderful. Cant wait to see a video maybe, when complete if that ever happens. Really well done, wonderful job.
That's very kind, the choice of scale was pretty accidental as I purchased the original second-hand box-set on Ebay without really realising what 1:24 meant! Since then we have tried 1:32 cars but the track was really designed for the larger cars. I have got a few BRM 1:24 cars on order and can't wait for them to arrive. Cheers John

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
John

Gosh. I had no idea that Google can allow you to 'drive' such roads. Forgot to mention above that the winding road to the coast in those days had a loose, stone-strewn surface. Drove it again in 1990 after tarmac' had been laid. It was, therefore, safer, and faster which was even more unnerving, because the locals had fitted 'qualifying' engines by that time...

Pic below of Vic Elford in the 907 en route to Targa victory in 1968 - one of the greatest driving performances of all-time.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hello John,
This looks like being a great layout. Is the scenery going to be 1:24th scale? 1:32 scale cars might look a bit odd.

I grew up with annual family trips to the old-country and became fascinated by the "cane con sei zampe" so please incorporate at least one AGIP service station or hotel/motel.

Leomountain railway
Hi Leo, I used to love the amazing art deco Agip petrol stations but the one I want to replicate here is an old Caltex station we stopped at once. While my Dad went to the lavatory a policeman came up and started chatting to my Mum. I think he was probably trying to impress my Mum but he gave me a bullet from his pistol (I kid you not!) and let me sit on his motorbike which impressed the hell out of me . Agip is not forgotten however, the mountain freight/mining railway has an Agip gas tank. I will try and post a photo of them. cheers John

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
John

Since seeing your track I've indulged in past memories. Road racing used to be normal years ago, especially in Italy, for saloons, sports cars and GP machinery, but 'nannies' got their way in the end, of course.

That end came in 1973 with the demise of the Targa in Sicily: all a great pity. So many Abfab roads just going to waste.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have not decided final placement of the petrol station in the layout but Leo mentioned Agip so here is a picture of the Agip gas tank by the mountain freight/mining railway line and the petrol station with a petrol pump roughly painted in Caltex blue and white colours. I am waiting for some small decals to arrive so I can finish it off.

Green Plant Transport hub Urban design Thoroughfare

Attachments

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,629 Posts
Hello John,
Yes 1:24 th scale is a brave move but you seem to be committed. I have a Riga cable-car set (static) overlooking my Carrera layout. I easily tolerate its misfit in my 1:32 world !!

Leo

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
John

Since seeing your track I've indulged in past memories. Road racing used to be normal years ago, especially in Italy, for saloons, sports cars and GP machinery, but 'nannies' got their way in the end, of course.
That end came in 1973 with the demise of the Targa in Sicily: all a great pity. So many Abfab roads just going to waste.
Your wonderful paintings show the spirit I would like to evoke but with more of an unnofficial amateur clubman feel and the Carabinieri turning a blind eye!

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Love the work John. Keep posting

·
Registered
572 Posts
Just caught up......Wow!...very NICE!. ...what a great way to spend time with the kids. Much better than Video games. They learn something, you get frustrated...win-win for them!
biggrin.png
The track layout looks great...cant wait to see some laps. The scenery also looks great ...especially since its coming from the hart (memories).

More photos please!

Trisha....love your pictures.

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
John

Your track has opened up a whole new past world for me. Just gone through this thread again, and as a result I've ordered a pack of plastic animals for my layout.

Sheer indulgence, of course, but I awoke early this morning to memories of Italy decades ago. Often thought about returning but, alas, it's probably all changed, and I don't want nostalgia shattered by so-called progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Just a quick update, my son's birthday is tomorrow and I need some sleep!

I've been flat out getting some last things fixed and while the scenery is in no way finished, I am over the moon with how it drives. The pit car and pace cars make things fun even playing on your own and it far exceeds expectations. The kids should have a blast tomorrow.

The time consuming bit has been trying to isolate my hifi amplifiers from the noise of the Carrera digital track and power supply. Solving the problem was very tedious and left me with no time to complete the roadside cafe which is to be the 'Start' of the circuit.

My cinema screen has been pressed into service playing some old TV episodes of 'World of Sport' Group B rally coverage from the 80's, hence the backdrop. It's not quite in keeping but fun and it will do until I find something a bit more appropriate. Excuse the picture quality, I will get some video and decent pics in the next few days or so.

Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Mode of transport Wheel

Bookcase Transport hub Shelf Shelving Urban design

Car Interior design Building Urban design Plant

I think we will focus on playing rather than building for a bit but I have a number of dioramas within the track (is that the right word?!) in mind and looking forward to completing them at a less frantic pace. The good news is I managed to get a donkey on Ebay as promised ;-) (although it seems a bit big for the 1:24 scale it was advertised as!).

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement

John

Attachments

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Fabulous effort mate! Just have fun with the birthday boy tomorrow

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
John

Your layout gets better and better, and there's a donkey en route. Marvellous. Also wonderful to see a 906 on the track which, of course, takes us back to 1966, when Herbie Muller and Willy Mairesse took a fresh 906 and scored an outright Targa victory in unusually wet conditions. Guichet's Dino finished second in a year that saw the little 2-litre cars proving their considerable worth.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
They now run a "classic" every September.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sheer indulgence, of course, but I awoke early this morning to memories of Italy decades ago. Often thought about returning but, alas, it's probably all changed, and I don't want nostalgia shattered by so-called progress.
We've been to Sicily for the last 2 summer holidays. Sure there are some modern fast roads but one thing we love is that it doesn't feel modern like most of Italy.

We even visited the temple at Segesta as shown in one of you paintings.

·
Jim Moyes
5,043 Posts
took a fresh 906 and scored an outright Targa victory in unusually wet conditions.
The very best friend to the underpowered.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts