SlotForum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Talkingcars

The so called Targa Classic has been running for years, but I'm told that it bears little resemblance to the original. So many 'retro' events are, well, to me, a huge disappointment, including the Le Mans Classic.

Great cars, nice people, fab circuits but it's just 'playing'. To watch a Gulf 917 driven by...

I'll leave it there...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Talkingcars

The so called Targa Classic has been running for years, but I'm told that it bears little resemblance to the original. So many 'retro' events are, well, to me, a huge disappointment, including the Le Mans Classic.

Great cars, nice people, fab circuits but it's just 'playing'. To watch a Gulf 917 driven by...

I'll leave it there...
I used to go with a group of friends to the Le Mans Classic but the crowds, parking kerfuffle and mediocre racing made us search out more interesting events like Angouleme. Unfortunately, the reality is that most people with a half-decent racing Bugatti are going to baulk at the thought of it being put in a hedge so they drive, or employ drivers, not to race but to do just enough to maintain or increase the value of their 4 wheeled assets.

I was supposed to be putting my rebuilt 1926 Dodge (see profile pic) at Shelsley Walsh and Pendine Sands this year and these small events are well worth a look, the racing is great fun and the people a fascinating mix.

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
John

Couldn't agree with you more. I remember all too well so many cars of yesteryear when they were new, and driven by stragglers, tryers, 'professionals', aces and the once-in-a-generation 'special' drivers.

Good luck to the old boys who enjoy their old cars today - I've watched all of 'em - but their performance is hardly for spectators. Classic Le Mans, and other similar events? Similar to having to watch your grandchildren in the Christmas nativity play. We clap, and say: "How lovely", when we are constantly checking our watches, and wishing that the gruesome business would end, and quickly.

At least children can be forgiven, for they know no better. Old men in cars of similar age and provenance? "Away in a manger.................."

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't know, last year I spent the afternoon with one of the organisors of the Targa Floria classic, I could entre my MGF but the fee was more than the car was worth (in other words I don't have 4k to go racing for a weekend).

Also last year I was invited to watch the Silverstone classic, they weren't hanging around.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts