SlotForum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
No, the J Car didn't have the MRRC brake system for that race, but Derek drove it at Croughton a short while later with them fitted, but I can't recall if they were any help on such a fast, open circuit.

None of the cars at the Banbury event had lights either, I think that was 'a step too far' back in those days, and they just dimmed the hall lights during the night hours. This caused a little trouble to the fast guys early on in the evening as the main straight was very long, but ended up in a 180 degree left hand banked turn, and many de-slotted because we couldn't see clearly that far away. Travis and I had a particular disadvantage as we were almost as far away from the banking as possible, in lane 2, and I'd not painted the King Cobra particularly brightly, big mistake! But we got used to counting 1-2-3 before backing off the throttle and turning in blind effectively. The de-slots were quite a factor in the chassis breakages suffered by the sprint drivers I suspect.

I drive past the entrance to the hall every month or so these days and often think of that race, it certainly sticks in my memory and it was the first and only 24 hr event I ever drove.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
hey Don, about a dozen years ago Dan Wilson (former MESAC member) and I partnered for a local "24 minutes of LeMans". I think it was set up rather as 3x8 minute legs. Afterwards he commented something like "that was more tiring than I remember the multi-hour ones being" !

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Funnily enough I have been looking at Airfix Catalogue from 1968 and the follow on supplement I have a 330P Ferrari RTR but its painted all Red. I did get offered some time ago a load of chassis but had no funds to buy them. The clear bodies were also available in the catalogue the only one not mentioned was the Ford 3litre 1968 for obvious time reasons. I have a mint Chaparral Body and a Lola T70 that some one assembled from parts and painted. The catalogue shows the last MRCC 4WD Felday Five to be added to the list.

Regards Allan

·
Kitbasher
4,372 Posts
Relevant to this mildly ancient thread, there is currently a 1/24 MRRC motor on ebay UK. Seller wonders if it's the first time one that has been listed there (it isn't, I bought one about a decade ago) but it does something that I haven't seen before - a still picture of the motor running.
I saw one on eBay recently.

But I also saw a mixed bag of motors a few months a go and snagged FOUR of the MRRC 1/24th Ball race motors, not one of them is standard - 10 turns of 29 gauge anyone?

Not yet been brave enough to run one, I would have to build a car specially, perhaps a 4 engined monster for Bordo'????

Given a blast of power they do appear to rev high and stop well.

Thanks all for the nostalgic stories, fascinating.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
When "we" at the LASCM began acquiring MRRC RTR cars, both the 1/24 and 1/32 cars were quite abundant and rather inexpensive. This was in 2002, 2003, and we got a good dozen of cars at the time. We found that the Ford J was the most abundantly available, new in original box, while the 1/32 scale Felday was hard to find.
There was also a relative abundance of clear plastic bodies in their original baggies. Today? Not so much! The collectors' vacuum cleaner took care of that in the past 15 years I am afraid... which is just fine since we know that the cars have now some protection from the destroyers of history!
We posted pictures of some on the website: http://lascm.com/Slot-Car-Museum/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_1205_601

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.