SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is better on a wood routered track? Is it the same track for both? If the track is the same than the cars must make the difference. Why 1/24 or why 1/32? Ron

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
This is one of those questions that could engender years of discussion. I'll address just a couple of the more obvious differences to get things rolling. First of all, using them both on the same track simply involves sizing the spacing between lanes to accommodate the larger cars (1/24). You may also want a variable power source to adjust between newer (if also lower amperage) motors, than the vintage cars. And that brings up a whole host of other issues...are you thinking vintage 1/24? Lots of new stuff is available in 1/24 however gobs of vintage chassis and parts are available at pretty competitive prices...also, huge quantities of kits are available as scratchbuild donors in that size. I think 1/32 pretty much speaks for itself...lots of parts and rtr cars. Slightly harder to detail due to size, but no big deal there. Ok...now I'll hand off to the next slotist to broaden the answer some.

John

PS since you specifically asked about wood routed tracks...I do think that 1/24 "settle into" a wood routed track better. it's something you should try and compare for yourself IMO.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Is it the same track for both?
Many clubs and most raceways race both 1/24 and 1/32. They have tracks with wide enough lane spacing for 1/24, which of course means there is more space between the 1/32 cars.
Some tracks are built on narrower lane centres, so are only suitable for narrower cars.
Some places choose to run 1/24 only, there's no technical reason why they couldn't run 1/32 if they wanted to.

Why 1/24 or why 1/32?
Most clubs like to run different classes. Many find running classes for 1/24 and 1/32 popular.
Some clubs stick to just one scale.
There are plenty of manufacturers providing new products in 1/24 and in 1/32. Also there are plenty of vintage parts around in each.

If the track is the same than the cars must make the difference.
There are large differences within each scale in chassis technology and motor performance. Also there large differences in performance and handling between well set up and poorly set up examples of the same type of car.
The very fastest 1/24 cars are faster than the very fastest 1/32 cars, but a quick 1/32 is way quicker than a slow 1/24.
Having said that, if you compare similar levels of technology and similar standards of preparation, there are differences between how 1/24 and 1/32s go.
The larger cars are more stable, that means they tend to handle better and can be slightly more tolerant of track bumps, but are not at their best in very tight corners. The larger cars tend to be a little quicker round corners, and tend to be able to make good use of more motor power.
Please note I am saying what tends to happen, I don't dispute there are examples where the opposite happens

Which is better on a wood routed track?
Which ever you prefer is better for you.

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,740 Posts
My take on it...

1/32 cars are mostly associated with Ready to Run cars -such as Scalextric, Slot.it, NSR, SCX Carrera. There are other options that involve building your own chassis (usually metal) be that in a kit type form such as Plafit, or all metal Parma or scratch built brass etc.

1/24 - In some regards is the opposite - more options to build your own car more metal chassis choices - hard body cars lexan cars etc. - there are heaps of 1/24 hard plastic kits which can be turned into slot cars - chassis makers include Plafit, Parma, H&R, MSC - and lots more. There are only a few choices in ready to run cars - Carrera, BRM and Scaleauto, Autoart, are ones that come straight to mind. Of these the BRM and Scaleauto are more high end metal chassis cars while the Carrera and Autoart are more like Scalextric cars.

There are lots of options out there I am guessing but would say that 1/24 cars were more popular in the early days of slot cars and that 1/32 evolved to cater more for the home market. Cheaper mass produced plastic ready to drive etc. I think accurate scale(ish) cars have only been around since the 90s

I have both I love the bigger cars they look great on the track - the 1/32 cars are easier to collect as they have fantastic detail and cost about half the price of a 1/24 car..

cheers
DM

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Ready to run metal chassis cars are available in 1/24 and 1/32.
For the sort of cars in darticus's photo, there is little price differential between 1/24 and 1/32. The price range starts well below the higher end injection moulded cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts