SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all..

Last Tuesday, Pendle Slot Car Racing Club held its first race meeting for the 1:24th Scaleauto out of the box race cars.

You could purchase any of the 1:24 Scaleauto range of cars to use, either already painted with its own livery, or a White kit and do your own paint/decals.

I went for the white kit option, as I had in my mind an intresting livery I thought would look good. I am sure you will all recognise it.

On the night, It ran great, very smooth and handled well. The racing was very fast and very close, some cars sustained damage, but not as much as we had anticipated. A great start to the new series.

Here are a few photos, I hope you like them.

All the best.. Martin.

"The white kit".... ."lots of bits"....

"Body in base black"

"Colour applied"... "Decals next"

"Decals applied, and final Acrylic gloss coat sprayed on" .. "Build up next".

"Finished interior before fitting"..

"Various photos of the finished car"

"Detached Body And Chassis"

"Finally a couple of photos of the car on Pendles track"

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
What did you think of the quality of the kit, Martin? Do all things fit together well? And how does the final car handle?

Been wanting to get some hardbody cars in the hopes of converting a friend who's rather addicted to flexis. The Jag could be a good way to start.

Oh, nice job.
Embs

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
The Kits are excellent quality-I have built two - a Mercs and a BMW. You need to make sure every screw is nice and tight. I have found the wheels are best replaced with Scaleauto's own sponges (SC2424P). Once this is done the cars go really well and are very closely matched. Personally,I would recommend them highly. I hope they release more this year!
TED...

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Hi there Embs.
Thank you for taking the time to look, read and reply to my thread, very much appreciated..

The quality of the kit is excellent, although saying that, for anyone with very little slot-car building experience, the lack of any instructions, as to what some parts are, or where they go, would be daunting for a lot of folks.... Having so many small parts to it, the body and interior assembly takes quite a time to put together and is very fiddely...

With hindsight, the price difference between the painted RTR cars and the white kits (around £20.00 gbp) makes you wonder that its £20.00 "very well spent", but saying that, I still prefer to paint, build and race something unique.

The actual car on the track, goes and handles great, and for their size and weight (around 200g) very fast. Some people had a few gear wheels coming loose issues, but apart from some cars losing wing mirrors, and a few rear spoilers coming off (due to the very close racing/accidents) the cars performed excellent, and are great fun to drive....

Looking forward to the next round.

All the best.. Martin.

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there Ted...

It was great seeing you at Pendle the other night, so pleased you and everyone else had a great night's racing with the 1:24ths, I know you have a passion for them.

Looking forward to racing them at your own club (Hawthorn Park)..
With that hump back bridge, it should be intresting...

Take care, and see you soon..

All the best.. Martin.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Martin,

Nice Car, nice job!

Let me know how your "Wild Cat" runs against the RSR 997 GT3 Porsches. Faster ? Best behaviour on track ?
Faster in wide bends slower on tight ones ?

I like the car but I need more information about it before purchase ... it seems a bit to long in relation to the width ...

Can you tell what is the rear and front axles width (83 or 84 mm) ? Between axles I think is 114 mm.

The front of your car appears a little be high. If mine I'll swap the original front rims and tyres to a Scaleauto Hardcomp (8 mm width)
sponge trimmed to a diameter of 24 or 24,5 mm. You can also replace the steel front axle to a carbon one lowering in this way the
GC and given to the car a "better front" (if your regulations allow ...). The original guide have to much flexibility ... normally I swapped
them to a Slick 7 and I never solder the cables (its a point of weakness) I insert them on the guide and them are keep in place by pressure when insert the braids ...

The pieces that allow attach the chassis to the body are in steel. They are the original ones ? I ask because in the Porsches the
original pieces that come with the kit are in plastic and very weak ...

Also it seems the white sticker to hold the cable motors also hold the central H. if so release it or stick it in a way for the central H
move freely allowing in this way a complete body basculation and a better balanced car.

The interior is very well painted ... but for racing you can swap it with a lexan one.

Try swap the original motor to a NSR King 38,5k rpm with a 7/44 relation (its a good beginning thinking on brake but adjust to your track reality)
and I believe that your will have a true "Rocket".

I know that you don't ask for nothing (I ask ...) but the intention is good. ;-)

Thanks to share the pictures.

Good races and the best results.

Have Fun !

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi there Artur (Auto Union)..

Thank you for your comments regarding my Scaleauto Jaguar, I am pleased you like it..

The whole idea of running these 1:24th Scaleautos this year, was to purchase a car off the shelf, and race it straight out of the box, so the racing would be an a more equal level.

The only thing we decided to change is the original rear rubber tyres for Scaleauto Sponge ones.. This is the "only modification" we can do on the cars, everything else has to be as it came from the factory.

We had the first race meeting of the season a few weeks back, and the cars performed great, very fast for their size and handled great.

There was some very close racing throughout the evening, some cars proving to be better than others, but this is mainly due to their initial set up and the drivers skills.

I would say for a "straight out of the box" racing series, they are a very good choice, and "great fun" ....

The only problem a lot of people have suffered with, is the weakness of the cars rear wings.
Many where broken or fell off after the first few races, although I have been informed that Scaleauto are bringing out a flexible wing as a replacment.

All the best.. Martin.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
QUOTE (Kustomart @ 25 Feb 2012, 22:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The only problem a lot of people have suffered with, is the weakness of the cars rear wings.
Many where broken or fell off after the first few races, although I have been informed that Scaleauto are bringing out a flexible wing as a replacment.

Hello Guys
Cut off the wing supports and replace them with flexible rubber of aproxx 0,5 -1mm thickness and you never have a broken wing.

Scaleauto is running a bit late with their 1/24 releases, trying to get all the new 1/32 cars out to the suppliers before august. But Nick de Wachter (Google NDW parts) has already made rubber replica's of the wingsupports and mirrors of all the 1/24 scaleauto cars

with kind regards
Tamar

1 - 9 of 9 Posts