SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Towards the end of the 60's when 1/24th scale really took of there what we called at the time works teams!! out of Hornchurch Barrie Wade ran Team Russkit with Mike Gamblin as one of the drivers i did a few long distant races with them when they started, i can remember a Team Cox and i think a Team Champion, does anyone out there remember other teams from this era and who drove for them,was there a Team Revell and a Team Monogram,i think Gordon Tapsell drove for one of these teams as i can remember speaking with him at a couple of meetings about works teams and the future of the sport, as far as Team Russkit goes i can remember Barrie receiving the occasional box of goodies from the states with bodies the latest motors and bits and pieces in and the younger members looking with awe at all the freebees, many could not afford even us older one's could not compete with this array of new machinery which seemed to keep getting faster and faster, possibly this may have been the catalyst for the demise of slot car racing as we had known it, let me know your views on the subject, venue's a bit difficult this i went to Westcliff, Tottenham, and i think Wonderland i cannot remember the other venue's but there were quite a few in the UK jog my memory.
This should get the old grey matter working for people of a certain age Regards Keith.

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
I'm pretty sure there was a Team Titan run out of Nordic in Southall. Didn't Mura have a team running out of Tottenham, I can remember drooling over their armatures with the green epoxy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Peter

This is a list of teams in the Westcliff (MRDC) 500 mile race in 1967

9 Westcliff No.2, Steve Stern ,B.Newbury- Smith, Malcolm Walker, John Dowsett, Howard Sourerby
10 Westcliff No.1, Tony Appleby, Dodo Calderwood, Nigel Cushion, John Keen
11 Western Hobbles Los Angeles, John Thompson, Manny Barwin, Steve Davis, Geoff Wilson, Geoff Seel, Kerry Nash, Brian Mann, Pete Gimson
12 Volvo, Greg Bailey, Keith Englebright, John Norfolk, John Curtis, Dave Clark, Derek Levett, Dave Levett, 'Nobs' Robinson
13 Lewisham, **** O'Shea, John Welch, K.Edwards, F.Green, J.Stubberfield, Reg Seaton
14 Team Russkit, Los Angeles, Barrie Wade, Reg Chapman, John Simons, Ian Pickering, Alan Millman, Barry Foley, Arthur Gosling, Ton Sucroft
15 Team Cox, Santa Ana, John Sellers, Rick Coleman, Stan Alton, Gordon Tapsell, Roger Willimott, Ray Skilling, Barry Warren, Jeff Warren
16 Model Racing Car Centre, Brockley, Ken Chappell, Jim Graham, Stu Elgood, Pete Thomas, **** Spurway, Alan Burnett, John Edwards, Trevor Crout

Also from 12 hour race August 1967

G. Bailey, D. Calderwood. Team Russkit
D. Brewer, A. Woolidge, M. Austin. Bell Park
N. Woolidge, D. Pike, C. Cornwall. Bell Park
J. Barratt, D. Harrison, R, Abrahams. Westcliff
J. Curtiss, D. Clark. Westcliff
G. Steel. Westcliff
R. Spong, D. Wothespoon. Westcliff
N. Cushion, B. Keen. Westcliff
D. Hodge, E. Barwin. Westcliff
C. Jones, D. Woodfield. Southend
R. Macey, S. Andrews, A. Love, G. White Hemel Hempstead
B. Wade, M. Gamblin. Team Russkit
D. Rogers, R. Pulfer, B. Killock. Southgate

I am the son of Laurie Simmons who owned The Model Racing and Drag center in westcliff, I sort of remember the races (I was only 9) but a few years ago I compiled a lot of info on my Dad to try to publish a slot car Bio, I put together lots of magazine clips form the late 60's.

I notice you are from Clacton - were you there in the 60's / 70's and remember anything about tracks in Clacton?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hallo Neil S. I lived in Newbury Park & Chadwell Heath most of the time i was racing at Hornchurch M.R.C during the 1960's and only moved to Clacton a couple of years ago,as regards track in Clacton the only one's i can remember were if memory serves me right were in a cafe by the pier which had a couple of layouts where they had house cars and i did take my cars there to try them out, i beleive they did run a club from here at one time many years ago .
I remember your dad well as we were around when he opened Westcliff which i thought was a great venue, some of us from Hornchurch raced there on various occasions under our own banner and team Russkit , looking at your list of drivers there are quite a lot of well know names from the era many of them i still remember racing against at various meetings. Keith.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Two teams that may have passed under most racers radar due to their short and relatively unsuccessful time were Team Ugo comprising of Paul Amos, Paul (second best) West and Fred James. A letter was written and sent to UGO in the States accompanied by some photos of some very pretty Mclarens, must have impressed UGO as some boxes of nice bits returned across the pond which resulted in a few victories at Nordic, less success at Tottenham and an instant dislike from members of their local club Tooting Bec who promptly banned them. Model Cars ran a feature on this in the late sixties.

After the short lived project a new enterprise emerged with Team Jontec, Bill Johnson a local racer at Tooting and engineer thought there was money to be made producing brackets and chassis etc and thought a team promoting his products was the way forward. The team consisted of Paul Amos, Gary Fletcher and myself (John Wells). For the best part of a year our racing was paid for, a dream for me at the age of 15! More success at Nordic and a win for me at the Southeast Schoolboy Championships at Battersea Grammar school beating Ian Jensen (should have retired there and then).

An end of season finale at Nordic I think it was the Eddie Blackwell Dyna Rewind series was a priority in Bill Johnson's plans , to such an extent he gave us a blank cheque to head off to see Peter Warr at Grand Prix Raceway recently moved from Hammersmith to Shepherds Bush Wharf to buy a new fleet of motors, can't remember exactly what they were but the latest from the States, Cozines or the like.

Come the day we all made finals and we all led them......and every motor went up in a puff of smoke with that wonderful aroma of a molten endbell? Needless to say that the Jontec dream came to an abrupt end.

Happy days though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts