SlotForum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

i always wanted to build a slotcar with front wheel steering.

i used an original mini z chassis, without electronics.

steering blocks upside down, without springs,

This is the bumper, with three holes, one for the pickup shoe, and 2 for wires

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The pickup shoe is not fixed to the steering

almost ready;

with a slotit motor,

got it working

oversteer

regards,
Hans

·
Circuit Owner
5,892 Posts
All the steering slot cars that I have seen up to this point have had the guide linked to the steering. This is interesting.

Is it better, worse or just different?

It would appear to be a simpler setup and one that I may attempt to scratchbuild myself but not if there are downsides.

It certainly looks good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it s self centering,
the front wheels are always parallel to the slot the car runs in.

The only downside is, the moment the car stops, or drives away, the front wheels wobbles
slightly for a second.

·
Registered
576 Posts
QUOTE (hvand @ 29 Feb 2012, 20:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The pickup shoe is not fixed to the steering
QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 29 Feb 2012, 20:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>All the steering slot cars that I have seen up to this point have had the guide linked to the steering. This is interesting.
QUOTE (hvand @ 29 Feb 2012, 21:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>it s self centering, the front wheels are always parallel to the slot the car runs in.
Really puzzling: How does the mechanics work?
"The pickup shoe is not fixed to the steering", yet "the front wheels are always parallel to the slot", due to "self centering"???
How do you do that, when the only part of a slot car that is always parallel to the slot is in fact - the pickup shoe?
Am I missing something about this oxymoron, or am I just plain stupid?

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
QUOTE (Chapman @ 1 Mar 2012, 10:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Really puzzling: How does the mechanics work?
"The pickup shoe is not fixed to the steering", yet "the front wheels are always parallel to the slot", due to "self centering"???
How do you do that, when the only part of a slot car that is always parallel to the slot is in fact - the pickup shoe?
Am I missing something about this oxymoron, or am I just plain stupid?

Each wheel (tyre) will try to go straight. Both sides of it want to go as quick as the other side. Which mean they will always strive to go straight.
And straight in this case is the direction of the car. Which is the direction of the flag.
I hope I made myself understood...

Hans ~ You could try a very small magnet to magnet to cure that wobble, I think. The wheels would get just a slight bit of help knowing where to go.

Apart from that.... Smashing job!

·
Circuit Owner
5,892 Posts
QUOTE (hvand @ 29 Feb 2012, 20:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>it s self centering,
the front wheels are always parallel to the slot the car runs in.

The only downside is, the moment the car stops, or drives away, the front wheels wobbles
slightly for a second.

Looking at the constructions I would think this wobble effect is because one of the wheels is out of contact with the track - this setup relies on the tie bar to balance the sideways pull from each wheel. If they were straightforward trailing it wouldn't be needed but because they are offset from their respective pivot points they need each other for balance. I bet it happens more on a turn than on the straight when there is more load on one side. With steering mechanisms linked to the guide the guide itself acts as the steadying influence so one wheel out of contact with the track would not cause as big a wobble.

You could overcome the wobble by raising the guide slightly and making it a sprung guide so both front wheels are always in contact with the track.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Looking at "The only downside is, the moment the car stops, or drives away, the front wheels wobbles
slightly for a second." I'd say there's no problem while driving the car.

But then again your right in that they would trail outwards due to offset from individual pivot. And that that is countered by linking them.
But still, only wobble at little to nothing and nothing to little. Not while at any speed more than that.

Making the guide a spring guide wouldn't help in this case. The tyres are already in contact. And if both are in contact the guide will not act as a pivot point, as it is lifted as much as the inner wheel is, proportionally speaking.
And besides this, the Mini-Z has individual front wheel suspension.
But I do see where you're coming from.

I still think a bit of magnetism would do the trick. Not so much as to keep them trying to keep straight, but enough to keep them straight when trying to stray.

What I really like about this car of yours is that it revives my Zlots thoughts. I was in a bit of despair on how to proceed, but this got me rejuvenated!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi,

you are right, i try a magnet, thanks for the advice,

Erik m, do you also have a mini z?

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Thank you.

Yes I have, but not using them as such.

What I'm more into is to use them for some sort of more or less slotless slotracing.

Notably some mix of Mini-Z, Carrera Servo 132 and, probably, SCXD.
But of late it might be a lot simpler and less expensive to use my MCR-2b (very close relative to AC2Car) and thus run four driven cars.
And with a modified version of MCR to control when and how to overtake.
But it's on my Squirrel list. If it happens, then it happens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts