SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Circuit Owner
5,928 Posts
All the steering slot cars that I have seen up to this point have had the guide linked to the steering. This is interesting.

Is it better, worse or just different?

It would appear to be a simpler setup and one that I may attempt to scratchbuild myself but not if there are downsides.

It certainly looks good.

·
Circuit Owner
5,928 Posts
QUOTE (hvand @ 29 Feb 2012, 20:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>it s self centering,
the front wheels are always parallel to the slot the car runs in.

The only downside is, the moment the car stops, or drives away, the front wheels wobbles
slightly for a second.

Looking at the constructions I would think this wobble effect is because one of the wheels is out of contact with the track - this setup relies on the tie bar to balance the sideways pull from each wheel. If they were straightforward trailing it wouldn't be needed but because they are offset from their respective pivot points they need each other for balance. I bet it happens more on a turn than on the straight when there is more load on one side. With steering mechanisms linked to the guide the guide itself acts as the steadying influence so one wheel out of contact with the track would not cause as big a wobble.

You could overcome the wobble by raising the guide slightly and making it a sprung guide so both front wheels are always in contact with the track.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts