SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Circuit Owner
5,958 Posts
Niiiiiiice !

How heavy is the shell Gareth?

And is it strong enough to withstand the knocks of full-on digital racing?

· Circuit Owner
5,958 Posts
Woo Hoo - mine's paid for and one the way.

Julian - hope you got yours.

Now to figure out a paint scheme and a chassis. Much as I LOVE the chase-cars chassis - we have a possible V8 Muscle class at the club next year and this could be the Daddy - with an HRS chassis, a Slot.It Orange can motor and one of GregK's magic turbo chips

· Circuit Owner
5,958 Posts
@choc-ice - Remind me how you do the chrome? Some kind of pen if I remember right. I need to get one as it saves a ton of fiddly masking.

And Mercury Cyclone - hmm - let us know when you start making them!

@racing streethawk - GregK does a diode upgrade on the C7005 SSD in-car chip. The diode upgrade allows you to run more powerful motors without blowing the chip. For example - I run a Slot.It GT40 with a 22k 170gcm motor with no problem. With a standard chip it would probably blow up. I think people have run 22k 300gcm motors with a GregK chip with no problem. The standard chip tops out around 20k 130gcm but it depends on how tight the motor is and how much current it draws.

A side benefit of the upgrade is that the motor gets fed about another 1.5volts over the standard chip. Happy days!

· Circuit Owner
5,958 Posts
Doesn't Falcon Raceway run a NASCAR class? They might let you play (but you would need to chip it).

You would be most welcome to come and race in our V8 Muscle class but Ipswich is a LONG way from Swansea and you would still have to chip it

· Circuit Owner
5,958 Posts

· Circuit Owner
5,958 Posts
They are inboard because it appears to be mounted on a Chase-Cars chassis so plenty of body roll.

By the shape of the wheelarches it looks like it should be easy to get quite a wide track for a conventional chassis. I hope so or I will have to find another car to use in the V8 muscle class and put a chase-cars chassis under my one so it can race my '57 Chevy hot rod.

· Circuit Owner
5,958 Posts
One of the 3 shells in existence arrived in the post this morning. It's a good mould. Only one place that needs a tiny bit of filler so it's up there with the best.

It doesn't look like it will be too hard to get a wide track. Some careful dremelling and it will be nicely sorted.

The body is actually slightly wider and longer than the SCX Barracuda - and I thought that was a big beast. The Roadrunner will certainly be an imposing racer.

The shell weighs in at 40.5g but after removal of flashing, wheel arch infill and window infill it will drop a few g. Which of course will be replaces by the vac formed glass and interior that was supplied with the car. So I reckon the finished, painted body will weigh in at about 40-45g. As the whole package will need to weigh about 95g to run successfully around my track I think I will have about 15g of weight to add really low down on the chassis - happy days.

· Circuit Owner
5,958 Posts
Yes of course.

I just made an enquiry about having the shell metallised. A technical nickel coating was £65 - not too bad I thought - until you look at it and it's the same as satin black so £7 for a rattle can then!!! The glossy nickel/chrome finish was quoted at £160 for a one-off. Blinkin' 'eck. Much as I think it would look cool I'm not paying that much for a car I will be bashing about in full-on digital racing.

Revisiting my colour scheme options.......

· Circuit Owner
5,958 Posts
The main video is great. How many takes did you need to get the two cop cars to fetch up so close to the camera in the final shot?

Loving your work my friend

· Circuit Owner
5,958 Posts
Cool.

As I was requested to document the build of my '71 Roadrunner I have started a new thread to avoid hijacking this one.

Here's the LINK for those who are interested.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.