SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again, I know this is really specific, but are there any chassis builders out there who are making brass chassis using a presision bending brake ? I have seen these (Brakes) in the Micromark web site and would love to get one. So show us some designs featuring front and rear axle mounts bent from brass and even one with motor mounts made from tabs that are cut and bent upward through the chassis ? I hope this makes sense.

Thanks, Chet

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Hi Chet.

That Micromark site sounds interesting- I must try and find it. I'm not sure what a brake is in this context though. When I need to bend plate, I scribe the brass and hammer it round a wooden former. No problems so far, but I'm always looking for an easier life...

I hope we get to see some interesting designs, chaps!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for providing the Micro Mark linc Brian. Do you think the Combinatoion Shear/Brake is worth the money ? I already have a "Chop Saw", but the cutting wheel is rather thick and may not work well with Brass. I may just opt for the 18" brake and find a better way of cutting it.

Chet

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Chet, the combo unit will only cut brass up to .040" thick. We commonly use stock up to 1/16" (.062"), so it won't work in all situations. I have no experience with either brake unit, so I can't offer any "hands-on" input. The bending capabilities might be quite useful.

My normal methods of cutting brass sheet are: up to .040" I use a cut-off disc in a Dremel, .040" and over I use a plain old hacksaw. In both cases, I true up the finished pieces on my disc sander where possible, by hand filing if not. The disc sander is a great time-saver for making perfect edges on cut pieces and also for creating multiple pieces of identical size. I hate hand filing everything.

My normal bending method is just like Howmet's - tedious pounding on wooden forms held in a vise. I protect the metal from hammer damage with more wood! Oh, and only the finest hard maple will do.

·
Al Schwartz
3,396 Posts
I use a gadget (can't find the source at the moment) that is essentially a V-block and a corresponding V shape that clamp to the jaws of my bench vise - you insert the part and close the vise - it bends 0.093" brass easily. A trick that I read of some time ago is to scribe the bend line and then drill two small holes on the line. Put a piece of wire half the diameter of the holes through each one and let them rest on the bending edge - result - your bend is right on the line.

EM

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Yeah, Fergy, Rock maple! Off-cuts from guitar necks! My mate Pete Townsend has a large supply...
And your hole/wire technique sounds cool, Martini. I'll be trying that one.

Excellent info, everyone!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.