SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ,
i bought a few years ago a large track 1:32 carrera digital , the guy before used it professionnaly (always stays in the same place , and the guy finally gave up, ).
to set the background , let me explain you.......sorry for my bad english , i live in new caledonia, french island near australia in south pacific ,
i bought it just for personnal use........but haven't used it finally as i already have a large ninco track with a lot of slotit cars.
as owner of a tourism company organising segways tours ; we are particulary affected by covid pandemy with closed frontiers..........so i use the segways on fairs , events etc as ride attraction.................it works pretty well , and i thought i could make a new attraction with the carrera track .
the plan is a "mobile" track about 3.60m long 2 m large (on 3 parts )that keep room under 6 m X 3 m tent .
what do yo think o the size ? enough ....not enough ?

the plan is to run 6 cars , and it works like this actually with wireless controlers.
i'm a bit frightened about the wireless system , specialy about battery autonomy. i maybe thought about wiring each controler with a 3.7v power supply , this is quite easy mod .
i have a controler with a changing lane issue , does someone knows where to source the switch ? i can easily solder a new one, or maye a mod ?
what do you think about ?

What about the carrera app on a tablet ? should i use it or use a laptop with a programm ? if yes what program ? (i'm not intended to organise slot cars competitions, only on events, fairs, team buildings......)
ideally i would like to have results / time on a tv .
what do you think about ?

about me, i'm for over 30 years on RC planes, turbine jets and helicopters , so i think i can do quite a few things................also have 3d printers.
any suggestions or advice are more than welcome .
sorry again for my bad english !

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Sounds like a good size for an attraction, however something narrower might be easier for marshalling (will the tent have all four walls?) for example the Bertrand 8 design (hopefully a forum search will present an example or two of what I’m talking about) but there are lots of designs that work for groups that would fit in that space.

Maybe the wired controllers would be less trouble and less likely to get lost in a group/hire environment, there are examples of repair of the switch, you can get a very close to original (just have to remove a small plastic part from the end of it before installing) or replace with an equivalent part, I have order numbers somewhere, will look for them when I am next at my computer. Someone might have details of an equivalent battery to get the wireless controller so back into good condition, if you have a Carrera service agent in your region it might be worth trying them for spare parts but results seem to vary depending on region. Some of the North American Carrera dealers seem to have expertise on battery replacement, maybe one of them would ship the parts to you, one of them is Slot Car Space Solutions, I know there are others, but none on the top of my head right now.

One thing to be careful of is leaving the track out in the sun in hot climates, I know you intend to use a tent but thought it worth mentioning just in case.

Parity of comparable performance between cars might be a challenge but you should be able to sort it by either winding down the settings on the faster cars or getting into a bit of work to tune the cars for similar performance for a group/hire setting.

I started a couple of threads on this forum with track designs of similar size to which you are talking about but it all depends on what quantity of which types of pieces that you have available. Do a google for snyderville raceway, another example for a similar space.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a good size for an attraction, however something narrower might be easier for marshalling (will the tent have all four walls?) for example the Bertrand 8 design (hopefully a forum search will present an example or two of what I’m talking about) but there are lots of designs that work for groups that would fit in that space.

Maybe the wired controllers would be less trouble and less likely to get lost in a group/hire environment, there are examples of repair of the switch, you can get a very close to original (just have to remove a small plastic part from the end of it before installing) or replace with an equivalent part, I have order numbers somewhere, will look for them when I am next at my computer. Someone might have details of an equivalent battery to get the wireless controller so back into good condition, if you have a Carrera service agent in your region it might be worth trying them for spare parts but results seem to vary depending on region. Some of the North American Carrera dealers seem to have expertise on battery replacement, maybe one of them would ship the parts to you, one of them is Slot Car Space Solutions, I know there are others, but none on the top of my head right now.

One thing to be careful of is leaving the track out in the sun in hot climates, I know you intend to use a tent but thought it worth mentioning just in case.

Parity of comparable performance between cars might be a challenge but you should be able to sort it by either winding down the settings on the faster cars or getting into a bit of work to tune the cars for similar performance for a group/hire setting.

I started a couple of threads on this forum with track designs of similar size to which you are talking about but it all depends on what quantity of which types of pieces that you have available. Do a google for snyderville raceway, another example for a similar space.
thank you so much for your advices ,
about the controlers , i have the project to attach them with a small chain , i don't want to "loose" them :) , that's also why a 3.7 v power supply could be an easy solution to lipo battery failure , really not frightened with this technical part !
i have 't choose the wireless solution , as i bought second hand the whole track and have not choose myself the different options....on the other hand this is also the only solution to run 6 cars in the same time, so maybe not so bad ;)

thanks so much about the switch link......i' ve searched , but maybe no so far , or maybe not with the right terms as a french speaker, my english is not so good !

i will do a search about the designs you told me , however , i would like to have quite a big track , i don' t want people thinking that their kids have the same track at home ( hope you understand what i mean )
in my mind he tent will be generally closed on 3 sides and the track everytime covered .

all advices are welcome , it helps me to some ways of reflection , so thank you so much for your help !

what do you think about app or a computer program for times / results.......

anyway , thanks for your help !

vince

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
For replacement buttons also refer to post #20 and continuing discussion in this link... replacement LC button

Here is another thread with a few Carrera track ideas, there are many many more out there that are more suitable for your purposes however. The limitation of 3.6 meters is a challenging parameter to work in but I have a few more of them that I will go through and share one or two of later.

You could try HSSRMS if you have the serial CU adapter or try SmartRace if you have the bluetooth dongle. There is another product in development as well, the developer is a member of this forum. If I find the link to the info I will share it. Feel free to ask more questions, when I get a spare moment I will link to some track designs. hopefully someone else will have some suggestions as well.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
A lot of customers for a rental/ fairs track won't drive slot cars well, so the cars will crash a lot.
Slowing down the cars will reduce the crash damage so you'll have less repairs to do.
There will be a lot of putting cars back in the slot so easy access to all parts of the track is important. A 2 m wide track is too wide to reach from one side by hand so you'll either need to go all round the track or get some long "grabbers" to reach the cars.
, i have the project to attach them with a small chain , i don't want to "loose" them
Good move! If they aren't attached you are likely to "loose" them.
Another problem is the cars, unless the track is well supervised you are likely to "loose" them.
Tracks at fairs can have the public on one side of the track and staff only on the other 3 sides. That makes supervising easier but the staff need to do most of the putting cars back in the slot

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks all for all your advices , it starts to be clearer !
i have no real limitations in size , except because of the size of the tent (6mX3m ) and i thought about 3.66 long because it's 3x 1.22m wich is the standard plywood dimension here.
what would be the good dimensions for you ? i've understand that 2 m large is too much , so what would be the ideal size for my activity ? meaning practical but also not the track everybody have at home ?
thanks guys !

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You may find this surprising, (I do ) but in over 10 years of operating a mobile track all over Australia I’ve not lost a single car, yet :)
this is a good news , anyway , i think that a small chain on the controlers is not a bad option , chain + wiring let me the oportunity to have 6 cars possibility offered by the wireless system + unlimited autonomy + i'm sure not to loose some controlers !

i would be more than happy to see your installation , have you some pictures ?

thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I have many designs like this... Since you want to build a flat smallish layout... This can be improved on, the loop could be made continuous with addition of some R3 pieces and the LC's need re-arranging. Could be extended a little also.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
You may find this surprising, (I do ) but in over 10 years of operating a mobile track all over Australia I’ve not lost a single car, yet :)
Well organized operations are much less likely to have a problem! It's always wise to plan things well!

I thought about 3.66 long because it's 3x 1.22m wich is the standard plywood dimension here.
what would be the good dimensions for you ? i've understand that 2 m large is too much , so what would be the ideal size for my activity ?
A width you can reach over is good. Tall people can reach about 1.2m. Try it yourself and see how far you can reach.
Over 3 m length length will be impressive enough as an attraction. It's surprising how small a track attracts "wow that's big" type comments. If you want to go wider a L or T shape layout solve the reach problem.
How are you going to transport the layout? By car? Best to check what size boards will fit in your transport. 1.2m is a bit too wide to fit in some cars.

i'm not really keen on bridge /8 layout because of transport....
You don't need a bridge, particularly not with digital.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
My current layout is flat without overpass and approx 3.4m x 1.45m. The straight always feels a tad short. Slight banking the first curve at the end of the straight helps with the sense of speed even with a short straight. At around 6' in height I can just reach the back straight if I stand on my toes and hold my breath! Of course a grabber makes things easier. An overpass would have given me some nicer layout options, (which are a little limited with the geometry of Carrera) but I also needid it to be flat because when I did have an overpass the kids climbed up on it one day and broke some stuff. Also need to remember with Carrera you have to be clever to get a smooth and flowing track to fit within such a space compared to other track systems. With the lane spacing and 30 degree geometry it is just the way it is.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hi all, thanks a lot for all advices,
finally , it will be 4m X 1.5m , divided on 4 panels of 2m X 0.75 m , quite big , easy to transport , and i reuse with little work wood that has been used by the previous owner....., so , not so bad !
about the layout....not so easy ,
here is a few designs , and the listing parts i have , what's your feeling ?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
An idea, I think you have the stock required... Need to program the pitlane to be separate to start/finish line but that is not hard.

·
Greg Gaub
14,976 Posts
TBH, slot cars are hard enough for the uninitiated, and even more so when it's digital. Adding fuel management will be an exercise in frustration. Unless it's a small group (10 racers are less) that you're entertaining for a LONG time (more than two hours), fuel will just be something to confuse and frustrate them. But, if you do decide to include a pit lane and use fuel, don't make it hard to enter the pit lane. Putting the entry right after a sharp turn will result in many missed attempts to enter, either because they are going too fast and slide a little while crossing the sensor, or too SLOW, and the IR will be on the inside ALSO missing the sensor. Remember, most of your racers will be entirely new to slot racing... never mind digital.

Other than that, the layout doesn't matter. They'll be crashing every corner, and constantly rear-ending and side-swiping each other. Remove all mirrors and wings in advance.

Racing? LOL. No, there will be little to no "racing." If you want the racers to LEARN how to drive, then you MUST run crash and burn races, if not the entire time, then at least until you see marked improvement in driving... usually by more than a couple laps in a row with no crashing. If you put cars back on, there will be no penalty for crashing, and it will be YOUR fault they lost because you didn't put their car on fast enough. Not to mention, you will run yourself ragged in the process. Trust me. Crash and Burn for the first hour of racing at the very least. Yes, you can turn the power down, but where's the game if all they do is hold the throttle and press the LC button sometimes? There will always be at least one car that is "better" than the rest, and so all the racers (note how I don't specify age ;-) will want that car. The speed/power should be set so that the cars will come off in the turn at the end of your longest straight, NOT LOWER. Also, TELL them that the power is turned down, and that you will not increase the power until they all show that they can race without crashing so much. Everyone wants to go faster, so use that as incentive to learn to drive.

Once you determine that they are getting the hang of it, that's when you add something, such as increasing the power level, or adding fuel stops. If you have a pit lane, they will ask about it and use it, even if you're not using it for pit stops. Tell them what it's for, but that they don't get to use it for fuel until they show restraint and the ability to avoid crashes.

Crash and burn. I speak from experience.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Very good points MrFlippant.

Here is another variation of my idea I shared two posts earlier. No pitlane, opposite direction and its very similar to my flat layout that I have currently set up (mine is a bit more wiggly in the middle but might be a bit much for a group of beginners) Only problem I can see is the sharp bend at the end of the start straight. Might be a few players that will just deslot at the very start because of this. Advantage of flat layout is also that you can use suitable flat material as infill rather than expensive Carrera borders/shoulders, some have used foam rubber, foam tiles, certain building materials (I think some kind of underlay) and you can cut it to suit (in this example the gaps are narrower than the factory shoulders) In my version I slightly banked the large turn at the end of the main straight which may mean less high speed deslots. (Just an edit to note, the R3 in the middle of the 180 degree R2 curve might look out of place, but in practice, I hardly notice it on my version of this layout. It serves to widen the curve out so I can fit the inner portion of the layout while still allowing a bit of room for narrow home made shoulders/borders. If I had more R3 track pieces I would have done it differently) Also, on the point raised earlier about overpasses... Equal lane length also serves to have equal amount of L and R turns which helps even out tyre wear. So this layout is mostly RH so expect some uneven tyre wear. Likely not a problem if you plan ahead for it with spares and maybe a tyre truer down the track. (never a bad investment)

·
Greg Gaub
14,976 Posts
Equal lane length, which I am a HUGE fan of for all slot racing, including digital, is of no concern for party/fete/entertainment tracks. If anything, focus on easy to choose lane changers (not too many in quick succession), and visibility. That last layout by Slotspeed looks great to me. You might have seen my portable track already. I don't regret any of my decisions. There are tradeoffs everywhere.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts