SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Had re-aquaint myself with your portable layout Greg, was worth the look. (Used the drop down link from your signature on the mobile browser version of the forum) quite similar to the ideas above but with added wiggles and of course a little easier to fit it all in with Scalextric Digital. I kind of like the idea of planning ahead in case one wants to add a pitlane later for home or club use just in case.

Another thing, maybe not to start with, but down the track, might want to move the CU controls and electronics to a point more easily accessible to the race director, save some awkwardness and running around. Of course taking care in planning, wiring, keeping wires as short as possible and using appropriate gauge of wire will all help avoid issues with the lap timing IR sensors etc to move the CU control interface to a more ergonomic position. Also moving the CU user interface away from the start track section itself means more flexibility in it’s positioning on the layout itself.

·
Greg Gaub
14,976 Posts
I totally agree. Always best to plan for possible changes/updates/additions such as a pit, and being willing to split the CU from the track will give you more options on where to put the CU track. Having the CU itself close to your position, with the racers on the other side, will not only make it easier for you, but also prevent them from pressing and switching things on it. Although I got along OK with wired controllers and extensions, I much prefer the wireless controllers. I still tethered them to the "stations" so that a person with poor dexterity or fine motor control, dropping the controller or not correctly hooking it on the hook, it would not impact the floor. The ARC Pro controllers come with a lanyard, to which I tied a loop to the controller holder using matching colored shoe laces. :) There's probably a way to do something like that for the Carrera controllers, too. It also helped avoid controllers moving between stations, and being walked off with. ;-)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
With some minor re-arrangement of my earlier suggestion you could put a pitlane there just in case you want to use it... Forgot you had 4 each of the short straights.

Or this very slight change might fit on your boards a bit better... There is always going to be a tweak or 5 to find that will make things better!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
thank you guys for your help !
i totally agree and understand points of view , also about pit stop , anyway i will use pitstop !
of course not for fairs , and kids , but i also plan to sell the concept for team buildings , or private party , and this way we could use pit stop , for exemple for pilot changing on team challenges ......hope you understand what i mean !
i' ve started the building part.....i will keep you informed of how things are going .
for the moment , the 4 panels are done , assembling system done , alubond borders nearly ready.....still a lot to do / think , but on the right way !

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Looks like it will be a fun track, also looks like it will be challenging to separate into the four sections for transport? Take it easy on the plastic tabs, get some practice on releasing the red locking tabs before you make anything semi permanent! Glad you like the way it drives. Looks like you could probably omit the 1/4 straight in the middle of the big curve. Might help everything fit on the table.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
a few changes , and here is the final layout.....just a few changes on the long straight .
still a lot to do ,all borders , the control post , adding the structure for the tv....lights....
all has to be ready in 3 weeks for the 1st event , the all new showroom of pirelli :)

about transport , not so bad , only a few parts have lo be removed. ......i practice rc planes and helis for over 35 years now , mainly turbine and scale now, so i'm a bit meticulous ;-). shouldn't be a problem !

another concern, what about app or Pc software , carrera app is just awful ,
to be honnest a Pc software would be ideal for me for tv connection , and also because i'm not really keen on using a tablet that could de easy to loose ;) don't want either something too hard to control ....yes i'm difficult .

·
Greg Gaub
14,976 Posts
Can't go wrong with Bruce's HSSRMS for PC. You'll need to order up a PC Link cable, as the App Connect does not work with the PC, only mobile devices. Have you looked at SmartRace, though? If you end up using a tablet, that's the way to go.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I haven't looked for a while but there used to be a few sellers of generic link cables, Professor Motor used to have one and there were others. Does the old member RichG still do them? I built one from an old USB to serial adapter but I don't recommend DIY unless you are proficient in hardware comms protocols and soldering. The factory Carrera one certainly isn't cheap but there are options. The problem in your location might be the postage cost?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
hello friends, i have the cable , this is no drama...
my concern is more about the connectivity between the android/ tv .....need something that works flawlessly !
thought that the laptop were more reliable

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I think whatever method, depends on the health of the device used, a clean PC might do the job just fine. On mobile devices... I used to have an HDMI adapter cable for my old Samsung S3 that I’d plug into the TV in the work lunchroom to catch up on some playoff hockey via my phone apps while I was having my break, always worked well, only cost a few dollars on eBay. Just a thought, a few different ways to go about it.

·
Greg Gaub
14,976 Posts
If the mobile device and TV are recent enough, you'll be able to "screen share" in some way. Such a feature on the TV will often have a proprietary name, like "Miracast" or some nonsense, but it's all the same tech of sending the device's display information (and audio) to a local TV wirelessly. Like automatic windows, this used to be a luxury feature on high end TVs, but is now standard fare. If your TV can't do it, then you might be able to do the cabled solution. Also consider how to keep the mobile device charged, as doing either will likely drain the battery faster than normal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
yes , mr flippant , that's also why i wasn't really keen on the tablet , the same way i want to powercord also the controllers .
maybe running an android on a computer would do the trick....
the app is generaly nice , nicer than computer software , this is a bit pity.
the tv i have for this is a led tv , but too old to be genuinely connected .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
update in picture , ;)
does Someone know where to find the actuactor that is in the changing lane ? i have 2 that are out of order , and it could be nice to repair it !
thanks

·
Greg Gaub
14,976 Posts
Sorry about not mentioning this before, or if it has already been addressed and I missed that part of the discussion, but if it's not too late to make layout changes, making the pit lane as long as reasonably possible is always beneficial. Not only does this aid in multiple cars accessing the pit lane at the same time, but also it reduces the likelihood that a new driver will completely overshoot the pit lane by entering too fast and not stopping in time.

Many people don't realize that all 6 cars can be "in the pits" at the same time, even with a single lane pit and only one fuel sensor. So long as they are at 50% throttle or slower, and cross the sensor then stop, they can refuel. In fact, much to the dismay of many racers (and still a point of contention for some), you can continue to move and refuel anywhere on the track as long as you never exceed the 50% throttle level. So, you can pull into the pit, stop, and then move forward slowly, and not be kicked out of the refueling option. It's only when you speed away that refueling is no longer an option until you come back around and try again.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Good point, especially for casual racers who may not have the skill to stop quickly in the short pitlane. If you have a spare straight, you can cut it down the centerline and make two single lane pit extension pieces out of it. Might take a bit of thought as the main straight is already fully optioned out! But I think you could make it work with some thought.

·
Greg Gaub
14,976 Posts
The only thing I can see in the above image that would get in the way is the light bridge. Put that at the VERY end of the straight, and the pit lane can extend around the XLC. In fact, that would make the XLC even more useful as a way for racers on the inside to switch outside to avoid a careless person leaving the pit and crashing into them as they pass. It looks like that would allow the pit lane to be three full straights longer than it is.

I like the entrance where it is, as well as the CU being right next to the fuel sensor so that entering the pit can't be used as an advantage at the end of the race.

21 - 40 of 88 Posts