SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
you're perfectly right guys , i also thought that the pitlane was too short , but i haven't spare 1line ....but i never thought about cutting in half a straight ! so i will work on that !
about the selenoid , it has been opened before , and the moving part has been lost , don't ask me how hell it's possible ......it is , i have managed to repair some with others to fit my actual needs, but i hate having things that can be repaired laying around !
thanks guys ......still going on .....and open to all advices !

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
It's worth having spares, especially if your track is in a lot of use. And always feels good to fix things. Let me know if you have any problems, everything should be reasonably serviceable, only thing that can't be replaced is the microcontroller on the PCB.

I already mentioned, but since you are in a climate that will be hot when summer comes around, and you have the track under an awning, just make sure it dosen't get too hot or sun-soaked... Here is a reminder from another Carrera track that had been left in the sun after some work on the scenery in a hot climate... Maybe your track isn't in danger but just sharing this in case...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
hello guys ,
a few updates on the track...
adding the tv , printing a tribune......and painting....still need to add sponsors

found a tablet , running the app, and having it on the tv.....
had to deal with a lot of work these last days , so not going as fast as i would like.....but start to be not so bad......

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Looks fantastic, your progress is actually pretty fast.

That last section before the straight will be a lot of fun with magless cars... I know it’s not the intent or primary purpose of the track, but just saying! It’s very similar to how my track is set up.

If you want more speed there are a number of ways to achieve it, but you might not want that for a hire track. If you want it for your own fun then you could try chipping slot.it cars, they are quite good value, quick and reasonably durable but you’d want to hide them from beginners since they are quite quick. For the Carrera cars a tire upgrade will help, keeping the track dust free will also help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Looks fantastic, your progress is actually pretty fast.

That last section before the straight will be a lot of fun with magless cars... I know it’s not the intent or primary purpose of the track, but just saying! It’s very similar to how my track is set up.

If you want more speed there are a number of ways to achieve it, but you might not want that for a hire track. If you want it for your own fun then you could try chipping slot.it cars, they are quite good value, quick and reasonably durable but you’d want to hide them from beginners since they are quite quick. For the Carrera cars a tire upgrade will help, keeping the track dust free will also help.
hello , thanks for your input.....in fact i'm not completely new , i have a few slotit mainly C groups with urethan tyres , a nsr too , and also a prepared carrera ferrari with big motor , upgrade gear train, urethan tyres on aluminium wheels......but all this is just for my very own pleasure and of course not for the rental part......

Attachments

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Looks even better with a grid of cars in the daylight! Some very nice looking cars. Sorry for making assumptions about where you were up to with the hobby. This is gonna be a very fun track I think.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
no offense , because i'm still a beginner !
in fact , like everything i do , i try as much as possible to do it well......and i must admitt that i love performance , nice material...nice cars....

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The only thing I can see in the above image that would get in the way is the light bridge. Put that at the VERY end of the straight, and the pit lane can extend around the XLC. In fact, that would make the XLC even more useful as a way for racers on the inside to switch outside to avoid a careless person leaving the pit and crashing into them as they pass. It looks like that would allow the pit lane to be three full straights longer than it is.

I like the entrance where it is, as well as the CU being right next to the fuel sensor so that entering the pit can't be used as an advantage at the end of the race.

On my various concession tracks I have used in the past the most popular has always been the figure 8/intersection track: lots of crashes and deslots; which lead to a default crash ‘n burn/last man standing style of race “ management”, especially for the younger birthday party set.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
a bit of work today....the control station is done.....
question:
this track has not been used for several years , cars too , how can i clean the track ? i don't mean the plastic bits....but the metal rails ? i' ve readen everything and controversy....so i'm a bit lost on that !
about the cars ? what to do ?
thanks all

·
Greg Gaub
14,976 Posts
INOX MX3

The only controversy is from people who haven't tried it, and prefer sticking to whatever method they've always used, so they assume it's the best.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I've had good results also with Inox MX3 on Carrera. I once left a Carrera GO set outside by mistake which became corroded because it stormed. I forgot it was out there for a few days. I cleaned the rails with a fine scotchbrite pad (the sort for washing the dishes with) and a bit of Inox. Came up fine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
INOX MX3

The only controversy is from people who haven't tried it, and prefer sticking to whatever method they've always used, so they assume it's the best.
just hope that it exist on my island , and this is not sure at all !!
if not available here , another solution ?
thanks

·
Greg Gaub
14,976 Posts
just hope that it exist on my island , and this is not sure at all !!
if not available here , another solution ?
thanks
You might have to order from outside your country, but it's absolutely worth the time and expense. While it's not as striking of a difference as for plated steel rails like Scalextric, it's still a great product. Even the model railroading people are discovering it and raving about it.
If you can't find it at your regular slot/hobby retailers, 132slotcar.us will ship internationally.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
finally found it ! one shop sell it ! but only on this container , no other option !
how to apply it ?
a kart with a guide with scotch brite and inox on it ?
cheers

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
a few updates ,
i heard what you say about pit lane.....and made a longer one....definately better !
adding a few rails for cars that are not running....
i cleaned up also the rails with inox......fantastic ! just gone simple by adding inox on the car braids and running ......
all these updates are minimal...but it' s always long to do..... :-(
next step is wiring the controlers, and adding a wood tablet on the side .....
enjoy ;)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I should have mentioned that it only takes a couple of small drops to treat my whole track. Wiping off excess is good since it doesn’t need much to work and it prevents it from spreading onto the track plastic which might not be the best for tyre traction. (Though if it were applied to tyres directly that might be different) glad you found some inox, I get mine from Jaycar in Australia, I assume they wouldn’t deliver overseas but haven’t checked on that.

·
Greg Gaub
14,976 Posts
As slotspeed said, use INOX sparingly. Some people decant the spray and put it into another bottle, usually a needle dropper of some kind. One drop per braid, and let the car(s) run around a while is usually enough, and only needs to be done again when, and ONLY when, you notice control problems that aren't easily attributed to braid setup or other issues. After applying, it's a good idea to take a paper towel or rag and wipe the rails to pick up any liquid left on the rail. Don't scrub them or use any solvents, just wipe. Same for the pickup braids on the car. The residual INOX on the rails and braids will do its job for a good, long time.

As for your pit lane... What I meant is something like this, where you're using all possible length for pit lane. Pitting with one car in a short little pit lane is fine... but when you have 6 cars all wanting to pit stop... you want something more like this:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
sooo.....thanks for the input !
about inox , this is fantastic , it works very very well of course i had applied way too much onnthe braids , so it was sliding a lot , have wiped the track and clean tyres , now it' s getting better and better ! happy with it !

about the pit lane.......should be possible to do something like that, will work on that tomorrow and see what is possible to do.

a few pictures of the updates , adding some removable tablets on the side , happy of the result, looks good and do the job !

i don't like the rails in the middle ( for cars that don't run) will have to work on something that looks better. no real idea for the moment :-(

any input greatly appreciated !
thanks guys !!

·
Greg Gaub
14,976 Posts
You could make a drop in piece of black foam-core board with slots that fits inside that final corner where you've placed the spare track. Stripe it as a parking lot, or a line up area like at a drag strip or something. White correction (like for typed/printed documents) tape is a cheap and easy way to add stripes. Or paint it. Slot for guides are easy to cut with a hobby knife (X-Acto). Just don't paint it, or it will warp. Normally, I'd suggest making some kind of pit building, but you don't want to obstruct the view of the cars for inexperienced racers (experienced ones tend to not like that, either. ;-)

Love the tables in front of the track!

41 - 60 of 88 Posts