SlotForum banner
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
good idea with foam core board......will try to source it !
have made today the first mod on the controlers ,
soldering in parallel of the lipo another cable with connector , i would prefer finding the same micro jst and not soldering another
cable , but in new caledonia everything is rare !
so , found another connector a bit bigger , but that fit inside also with the battery , and add a ring , that would be perfect with a small chain ( and power chord )
this way i can choose wireless , or power chord , with or without chain....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
easy , the main power supply will come from a 60V 750w power supply with a professional step down able to do 0 to 60 V and from 0 to 18 amp continuous,
for the controlers , same system but with a 12v , 100w power supply and a smaller step down , able to do 0 to 24V and up to 4 amps continuous
all 6 controlers wired in parallel...easy !
will make pictures of wiring !

i ask myself about jumpers ? any idea ?

thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
hum....another question ,
what would be the ideal height of the track ?
adults and kids will play.....
it' s actally at about 70 cm , i have the feeling that it's a bit high for the moment , what do you think ?
thanks

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
For that layout, I think two jumpers would be fine. As you know, I have a similar setup and I only have one jumper. Its kind of ok but two would mean smoother power around the track and probably never have to think about it again.

Concur with Crustypop. I just measured the height of mine. It is 75cm and that seems fine for adults, younger kids need a riser to stand on but that is just the way it has to be. The frame of mine is actually an extended ping pong table, which probably would have been about 72cm without the added bits, so I suppose you are already at a good height for most people.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
okayyyy.....so , updates ,.
i've changed the pitlane , went very well.
everything has been wired , and can be removed easily if needed.
i've printed a casing for the controlers stepdown, and made a sort of rack under the "control desk" for the power systems ,
will have to add some.lights, will be on the structure .
starts to be quite good , what' s your feeling ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Looks really good to me. I like the long pitlane, you must be happy with it. Extension pods look great. Do you know what gauge of wire you used for jumpers? I like 14 or 16 ga (most people run a bit smaller than that but I like to over do it) Good to see someone is having fun. Nice clean look overall. The LC is nicely placed for drivers to change lanes away from a car potentially exiting the pits. Good job!

Edit: I just remembered you were hard wiring the power to the controllers, I thought they were jumpers at first glance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
thanks a lot , the jumpers are the carrera one , so i suppose that these are the right section .
yes , controlers are wired now , no stress about autonomy now and i can choose if i want it wired or wireless , depending of the type of event, very easy and fast to switch from the 2 options as all is mounted with connectors .

·
Greg Gaub
14,988 Posts
Love the chain idea! Secure, and prevents the wires from being stressed. No one will be walking away with those on accident. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
1st official event this weekend at the biggest fair of newcaledonia ,
very happy with the result for a first big run!
anyway , a few things to solve ,
sometimes , under some different light configuration , i have some.strange things happening with the IR , adding laps including on non running cars , changing lane randomly , i had this sometimes on the sunset at home , and have the feeling that my red tent accentuate the problems .
is someone aware of that ? any solution ?
specialy for lap counting ? i thought maybe adding a bridge over the IR receivers of the starting line ?
any idea ?
thanks guys !

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun was had! Great to see it out there! Not sure how to improve the IR receiver performance... some bridges or gantries probably aren’t going to help with the setting sun. But sounds like it’s worth trying at least with the start/finish line. Apart from that the only easy thing that comes to mind is finding ways to block out the sun, maybe adding layers to the tent or objects blocking direct sunlight. The weave of the fabric or canvass is probably interacting with slight movement and the natural light to make pulses which are in the range of the frequencies used for IR control. Maybe have some sections of dark coloured core flute or lightweight material that you can move into position to block the afternoon sun? I really don’t know, these are just guesses.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
will try anyway......not difficult to realise, and if it could work, why not !
had previously a few issues with changing lane button , and had mod some controlers , after this very very strong weekend of rentals ( 3 days from 9am to 7pm) the one i've mod worked perfectly , and the others died one by one during the weekend , the mod is so easy to do , and way more durable than original design , i suspect that carrera intentionaly keep this system weak to sell more controlers. bad luck , i will not ....
a few pictures in details of the mod

the switch, 3 poles.....

remove the original switch and solder 2 wires , no need of the 3rd

soldering the new switch

glue it in place with CA , and made 2 holes....

and fit the screws , secured with CA ,

finish ! works perfectly , if it can help someone !
cheers

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
hello all ,
would like to order some.spare parts to be ready for all problems ,
i plan to buy a few changing lane sets ,
some.motors , some tyres ( what should i choose ? ) maybe 1 or 2 more cars ( the rental part run dtm cars ?
i already have spare braids , also have spare chips )
what would you recommand ?
where is the best place to order ?
i thought to slotcar union ? any advice or recommandation ?
thanks

·
Greg Gaub
14,988 Posts
It's best to have multiple complete cars on hand to swap in for cars that fail during a rental. Other than that, what you've listed is probably good.

As for type of tire, for this use, I'd probably suggest silicone.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
yes , i'have actually 6 running cars and 2 spares complete cars , so i plan having 2 more ......
silicone tyres ? ...ok , i initialy thought of urethane , but if you think it' s better, i will do !
any recommandations for an online shop ?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
With tyres I found silicone to last forever but if working outdoors silicone get dusty real quick if it’s windy and need constant cleaning to maintain grip. Urethane still last a long time but not forever, much better in dusty conditions so less cleaning.

·
Greg Gaub
14,988 Posts
Good point. I was thinking silicone because they're pretty much indestructible. Dust is a problem, though, so might not be the best choice if outdoor rentals are likely/common. That said, if there's enough dust in the air to cause a problem during an event, then it will be a problem for all kinds of tires, to some extent.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
good point.......the track will be sometimes outside , with a lot of dust during fairs.....
i initialy thought to paul gage tyres, maybe not the worth option !
an online shop to suggest ?
thanks !

61 - 80 of 88 Posts