SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Joel LeNoir
952 Posts
Hello......... I thought I would share with you all my new find. 1/32 Union Pacific diesel made by New Ray.

Okay, no it is not powered. It does how ever sit on New Bright 1/32 plastic track. Want to put a train with my slot car track, but did not want to spend thousands of dollars doing it. Already have over 100 pieces of New Bright track so that part is done. Now will only need to add a motor and or motors to the engine. Got an idea how I going to do this already. Will post pics of my progress. I have posted some poor quality pics of the train for you all to enjoy. Sorry, used my phone for this.

Here is a link for the train........Linky

Thanks for looking........... Joel

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
That's fab, I love the idea of a 1/32 train running alongside a slot car track.

What gauge is that? Hat make is the track?

Good luck with the build

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Thank you for that find.
That makes it two possible locomotives in the more possible range of price. For us 1:32'ers that is.
1:24 got LGB, which can be fairly low priced and HO got... OO(!). 1:43 got... S-scale, isn't it?

The other possible locomotive?
Trumpeter got a German BR52 Kriegslok in 1/35. They also got an armoured BR57, but perhaps less suited for our "battles"...?
And they seem to have a new one loco too. A shunter, WR260C12, that looks very alike the elsewhere more known as V3 or maybe 0-6-0.

But is this seller sure of scale and gauge?
As far as I know G-scale is 1/22½ (~1/24) and usually running narrow track and then on 1-scale.
And 1-scale is what we want for 1/32, as it actually is 1/32. As in 1... 0... H0... And the for us more interesting scales S (1/64=HO) and 00 (1/76=T-Jet).

Anyway and anyhow, a big thank you for this find.

A loco I really like, and in the colours I prefer!

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
QUOTE (alan1302 @ 6 Mar 2012, 08:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Says it's G Scale in the link
I asked the seller about it.
But for this loco, locing at the pictures it actually locs as 1/32.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Excellent - i was only looking for something similar the other night.

My quest for 1;32 scale trains has lead me to either very very expensive working model railways (too expensive) or Timpo branded products ebay link1 or ebay link 2

You mentioned that you have track - where di you buy this from?

·
Joel LeNoir
952 Posts
Hello all. I will take a pic of the box and post it. The box lists the train at 1/32 scale. As far as track. The train sits on the 1/32 scale New Bright train sets. Very popular and cheap on e-bay. Battery operated trains that you place around your tree around x-mas time. I am in all of my track (35 gallon garbage can) for about $200.00 US. New Bright even made
x crossing track and switch track. Although the switch track is getting hard to find.

Don't know what the measurements should be for a 1/32 train, but she sure looks right. Will take a few measurements for you all so you can get a better feel.

The train is made of plastic. Will be throwing some weathering and rust on it and should look quite nice.

I believe the e-Bayer will ship internationality, but if not I will be more than happy to be the middle man for plus members free of charge.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
The phase G-Scale is pretty confusing as it shares the same width track as gauge 1. My Dad used to have a G-scale railway in the garden. The (45mm width) track was based on real life narrow gauge trains, not broad gauge locos like the union pacific above.

G-scale (1:22.5) on 45mm track = is based on narrow gauge trains ( 3 ft 3 3⁄8 in (metre gauge trains))

gauge 1 (1:32) on 45mm track = is based on broad gauge trains (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in mainline trains) like the union pacific diesel

Hope this makes sense.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Well i had a good look around last night on the web and found a couple of complete sets in the UAE (where i have an office) so i have dispatched staff to buy a couple of sets (£30 each approx).

I had a good look around for New Bright trains sets/track and could not really find anything available in the UK.

Your right about the entire scale thing - it's very confusing!

·
Gerald Lambourn
1,006 Posts
If you visit some of the model railway sites and publications you will find more info on the question of scale. To confuse you some more British OO gauge is 4mm to the foot running on 16.5mm (HO track), this is because the electric motors of the time would not fit in the smaller British prototypes. The man to blame is one Henry Greenly who developed standards based on the concept of mm per foot, hence 10mm per foot for Gauge 1 and 7mm per foot for Gauge 0 which was the smallest at the time. Later came HalfO (HO) at 3.5mm per foot. Except that the Brits then did their own thing with 4mm scale rolling stock. Later the whole idea of narrow gauge trains came about. Availability of Gauge 1 material at a reasonable price is good news for us 1/32 slotters, for Graham Lane's Mille Miglia project last year I used Gauge 0 as European models were to hand and railway material has been described as "architecture on wheels". Hence the smaller scale merges into a scenery of 1/32 buildings.

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Hi there all..

I have a couple of G Scale Trains. If incorporated into a slot car layout I think they would look great. The only problem with them is that they are "Big"..

Here are a couple of photos showing two 1:24th scale cars (white Galaxie and Jaguar) and two 1:32 scale cars (Pioneer Charger and Mustang) on Carrera Evolution track.

As you can see the 1:24ths look great, but the 1:32nd scale cars look a bit small, but saying that those early American steam trains where "very large" so I dont think overall, even the 1:32 cars would look out of place.

The trains are all fully motorised (forward and reverse) and have working "steam" coming from the smoke stack. They also have a sound chip producing a Steam engine noise. this does have an "off button"...

Incorporated into a slot car track layout, they would look very impressive, but It would have to be quite a large layout, to give the best effect.

I do have some Video footage of the Train Running, but unfortunately I dont know how to upload video footage onto the forum.

All the best.. Martin.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The New-Ray loco is OK for $40, but it really needs to be painted so it doesn't look so plasticy, and to make it run well you'll need a motor block from an Aristo Critter (or similar). As with slots, more weight means better running, a loco this size should weigh around 20lbs. Keeping an eye on eBay for used 1/29 (generally cheaper and more common than 1/32) locos might be an easier option.

Some of my 1/32 Marklin Locos:

Marklin BR220 diesel- hydraulic mixed service loco, you know it's a serious model when the cardboard box is STEEL reinforced! Expensive, but I think well worth it.

Marklin Kof II, a small diesel mechanical switcher/shunter.

Marklin BR110, from the all metal Maxi line, the cab and roof are diecast, the sides are galvanised steel, and the whole thing is powdercoated. The pantographs raise and lower manually, and there's a switch inside the cab door to go from track to overhead power.

This image gives a good idea of size relative to slot cars. BR80 with double car transport wagon.

I have another Loco on the way
They are expensive but have you ever added up the value of your slot cars? I will soon be using them all in a combined train/truck/slot layout.

Saving up for something like this:

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Mission accomplished!

Trip to Abu Dhabi and bought three sets - thanks for the heads up guys - another set of scenic items to pop into the loft ready for Scenic Loop 2 or the linking section.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts